Beginning of the tournament

O

ovanilton

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Which cards should I attend at the beginning of the tournament? (Pair of As ?, pair of king, up to which pair ?, should I play with AK, AQ, AJ, A10 suited?)

TheNutz4You

TheNutz4You

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Absolutely should be playing them hands depending on position and the action before you early in mtt. lots of donks like to go hog wild early and these are the hands that will allow you to collect all of there chips.

J

jhoff619

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
hi

i play these hands and during the beginning i am hesitant sometimes because of the donkeys who shove first hand it seems lie i lose with these 70% of the time ha it sucs

F

forneyj

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Which cards should I attend at the beginning of the tournament? (Pair of As ?, pair of king, up to which pair ?, should I play with AK, AQ, AJ, A10 suited?)

I have folded pocket Aces pre-flop on occasion in low buy-in tournaments because more often than not, 40 percent of the field will call with donk hands and hit. I usually raise to 5x BB but fold if donkness occurs. If 2 or less others call the all in, I call. If new to free roll tournaments, you might consider sitting out for the first 30 minutes. During that time, you may see the field diminish as much as 50 percent.

TheNutz4You

TheNutz4You

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I have folded pocket Aces pre-flop on occasion in low buy-in tournaments because more often than not, 40 percent of the field will call with donk hands and hit. I usually raise to 5x BB but fold if donkness occurs. If 2 or less others call the all in, I call. If new to free roll tournaments, you might consider sitting out for the first 30 minutes. During that time, you may see the field diminish as much as 50 percent.

It dos suck to get sucked out on with AA, but you just cannot fold AA preflop to any number of all-in's. you will win more chips then you loose I promise.

steadman0

steadman0

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on a lot of factors but mainly what type of tournament you are playing. In most paid tournaments then you should be playing the hands you have listed, while taking into account of your position and the action infront of you.

For freerolls it is different because you will get a lot of people donking or calling with worse hands, which is fine if you win, but an unnecessary gamble early on.

I have been away from poker for the last couple of months due to work commitments so have had to start in the elementary league in pokerstars. With that, I'm folding most of my normal opening range at the beginning of the tournament due to the amount of all ins with 72o etc.