At what point you start folding everything?

A2020

A2020

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When playing a Satellite Tournament.

At what point (if any) you stop playing hands, and just fold and let everyone else bust?

Example:

8ORj6al.png

kraemer

kraemer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the example given it is too early I think... 60 people must get busted to get a prize...
Average stack is 40k, so a lot of players will pass you if you only fold and they take out players.... you are far from being guaranteed a top 25 Position in that tournament at the moment

K

karl coakley

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you are there. The blinds are 2k/4k in a turbo, 85 players left, 100k stack, no worries. You could simply use your time bank every hand and choke out all the smaller stacks by playing slowly, making the blinds go up 2-3 times every orbit.

Slow playing is very common with short stacks in a satellite. When people are close to the bubble a lot of the time they will use every second they can in the time bank to slow down the game. They hope people will bust out before them so they can cash. This is very effective with a big stack.

There is a point that you can only hurt yourself. There is only so much you can win (25th place) and I think you are at that point.

neiroob

neiroob

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Then another 50 people before the ticket, I think that you can pull the time, short stacks will risk and quickly fly out, and if you can steal the blinds, the blinds will grow and your stack will melt, you just can not fold.

P

PKRNRS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Definitely can play a whole lot tighter. I wouldn't sit out completely just yet. You are down to ~26 BB and that will drop to ~17 at the next level. Not to big a deal if you stop now but you're not deep stacked. I would keep an eye on the bottom of the list as players get knocked out. You don't want to wait around for half the field to be knocked out and then find yourself on the bubble. Maybe walk away and come back in a Short time and just check in.

Last edited:
Alexandr Svinarshyk

Alexandr Svinarshyk

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
my opinion should always be played, just try very tightly to steal the blind.

vadave311

vadave311

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I truly don't feel that should ever be a way of playing.

V

vic75

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With 25 entries getting paid you can stop playing when the tournament is down to 30 players if you are in the top five and only play big pocket pairs.

monstr999999

monstr999999

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would not throw off my hands ... too early ...))
play strong cards and knock out players with a small pot ..
:icon_rr:

jfmcd86

jfmcd86

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
maybe between 250K-300K
players will easily catch up with you, just by looking at the players, at the 30 players mark they're about half your stack and again the average chip count is 43K and that's half your stack ....sooo i would get about another 150K to start folding and to get in the bubble

C

cheeeer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When sleeping, sitting out, disconnected.

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
When I'm very close to prizes, I do it to avoid tragedies, and it's hard especially when they arrive QQ AA etc, I prefer to fold them

1Player

1Player

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Dunno. I left a freeroll 1st of 125 or so, came back and had finished 8th.

pescaofish

pescaofish

Academic Poker
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PA
Chips
Ok, with 25 Players getting in, with no difference between first and 25 place, I will start Folding everything but AA, KK, AK when there are some 35 players left; unless some other player with a Big Stack Shoves, then I will Fold even AA. You will get the same Prize as number one or umber 18, 24, So! :fight:

A

Aline da silva

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, you wander your question. but we have two reasonable possibilities: 1 when I have the best positions, the closer to the final tables and 2 better when I burst the bubble in those positions that I quoted. that's when I let the bank break

deform fedot

deform fedot

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In this type of tournament in order to get prizes enough at least once in a round of rounds to collect the blinds and ante, on the other hand, a lot of grate also does not need, so it is better to play tight-aggressive, if you chase after the stack can get a slap of dispersion of luck, After all, everyone knows such cases when you had to win the chance, but not lucky. Play playfully, not greedy, and you will fall into prize-winning places:fight::pcguru:

A2020

A2020

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks guys for all the answers. Really learning a lot.

As an update. I did not get a ticket finally :p I didn't stop playing hands, but I surely play tighter, but a couple of bad hands and I was short stack, and forced to shove all in a couple of times.

The pace is really fast and I noticed anything can happen.

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In your original scenario you're not even close to making that kind of decision. Tourneys grind to VERY SLOW MO the closer they get to the bubble. That means by basically sitting out you're going to be paying a LOT of blinds and antes with no chance of adding anything to your stack.

Shrops

Shrops

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
fold

Anytime a think I will win a ticket by folding the rest of my hands I fold them all. Don't want to take a bad beat and lose my ticket.

whiskers77

whiskers77

The art of purring
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
You overcame about 1/4 of the field of all players. But there is also only 1/4 places paid in the rest of this nearly 4 times more remaining players. Therefore I think, you are still too far away from prices to sit out. I would consider sitting out, if at all, probably only if there are about 40-50 players left, when there are payouts for 25 players.

F

felipeanicio

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the example, I would take advantage of the strengths of my chips and push the lower stacks to get a better slack.

radartodd69

radartodd69

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Given the situation, seems like it would be best is to be selective and strive to maintain/or better your chip stack. Just play good poker. You shouldn't stop trying to better your chip stack I think.

S

Smokewood

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Never - always look for a chance to make a move.

Nathan Smith

Nathan Smith

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why stop playing? If you have an edge keep playing - just don't think that you need to be silly with a big stack. Maybe the only time is when you have a huge stack in a satellite and you are on the bubble with plenty of short stacks about to burst.

K

karl coakley

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why stop playing? If you have an edge keep playing - just don't think that you need to be silly with a big stack. Maybe the only time is when you have a huge stack in a satellite and you are on the bubble with plenty of short stacks about to burst.

LoL, he updated on why to stop playing. He ended up taking a few beats and not getting a ticket. I think there is a distinction on "sitting out" and "not playing". I don't think sitting out is a good decision, but I think playing slow and tight would have easily allowed him to make it.

Folding in Poker