AQ flopped trips facing reshove late in MTT, always going broke in this spot?

quick

quick

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I had a decent run in a turbo MTT last night online but busted out like 53rd out of 580 or so when holding AQo and the board flops 6AA rainbow.

Preflop I'm holding like 11 BB. Button min raises pre and this player had been raising pre flop pretty much every hand for past 20 minutes or so. I can't remember if I 3 bet him or flat called (although I hope I 3 bet as a flat would have been kind of risky). Another player comes along so 3 in hand.

Flop is 6AA rainbow.

Checks around to me. Pot is now equal to my stack so it's really shove/fold here. I have 3 of a kind Aces, Queen kicker. I figure I'm only losing to AK here so I shove.

Other guy folds, button insta shoves and shows 66 for 6s full of Aces.

Turn and River blank and I'm out and left thinking who slow plays 66s full of Aces when you have 2 callers and risk them having you crushed with A6 or drawing with 77-KK or A7+ drawing for any card that can help them complete a higher FH. I could understand if the guy has A6 he's slow playing but come on now. I doubt had I shoved pre the guy would have folded. I considered checking back the flop but then I'm concerned that I have 2 players in the hand and if I don't hit an A or Q on turn I'm looking at being dominated anyways.

So is this a spot where you're going broke late in a tourney?

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Shove preflop. You're losing value by just flatting or min 3betting here and letting 66 see a flop.

As played, you just got unlucky but you're never folding here for < 10 BBs.

dundo84

dundo84

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, with that stack of 11bb.I would shove preflop with AQo.
You were just unlucky in this spot.Remember to get deep into a tourney in situations like those u need the variance on ur side.
I had a situation in a tourney where i finished 7th, i was shortstack and there were about 40-50 players left.So i shoved pf with JJ, the guy after me shoves too, he had a decent stack, so he isolated me.He had AA and i hit my set on the river.Funny thing is he had pocket AA the previous hand too.Most times when u suck out in those situations, u'll finish deep in tourneys, just my expirience.

Propane Goat

Propane Goat

Grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Again, shove pre with that stack size, especially against somebody raising ATC. 3-betting isn't an option here unless you have AA/KK and want action, because you're going to see flops like K87 or 853 most of the time and it's really hard to put the rest of your stack in post-flop with just A high and not a lot of fold equity.

Since it's a turbo and with a maniac on your right, you should be restealing from the blinds with a very wide range.

I wouldn't change anything postflop; the odds of a villain flopping a boat are less than 1%, and there's no way you can do anything here other than get it in on the flop. There are only three hands that beat you on the flop and he just happened to have one of them (AK, A6, 66).

quick

quick

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Shove preflop. You're losing value by just flatting or min 3betting here and letting 66 see a flop.

As played, you just got unlucky but you're never folding here for < 10 BBs.

Yes, with that stack of 11bb.I would shove preflop with AQo.
You were just unlucky in this spot.Remember to get deep into a tourney in situations like those u need the variance on ur side.
I had a situation in a tourney where i finished 7th, i was shortstack and there were about 40-50 players left.So i shoved pf with JJ, the guy after me shoves too, he had a decent stack, so he isolated me.He had AA and i hit my set on the river.Funny thing is he had pocket AA the previous hand too.Most times when u suck out in those situations, u'll finish deep in tourneys, just my expirience.

Again, shove pre with that stack size, especially against somebody raising ATC. 3-betting isn't an option here unless you have AA/KK and want action, because you're going to see flops like K87 or 853 most of the time and it's really hard to put the rest of your stack in post-flop with just A high and not a lot of fold equity.

Since it's a turbo and with a maniac on your right, you should be restealing from the blinds with a very wide range.

I wouldn't change anything postflop; the odds of a villain flopping a boat are less than 1%, and there's no way you can do anything here other than get it in on the flop. There are only three hands that beat you on the flop and he just happened to have one of them (AK, A6, 66).

Thanks everyone. Yeah I think I had some sort of brain fart here. I should have just shoved pre flop when he min raised. Earlier in tourney I lost most of my stack with like AA to someone with KQo who runner runner flushed. I came back a bit shoving under 12 BB with hands like AJ against AK (and getting my J), A3o on button with like 3BB and getting runner runner flush against earlier suckout guy who had KK. And a few call of baby stacks all in on BB with like 82 and getting my 2. So I definitely was capable of putting my tournament life on the line over and over which paid off in vulnerable spots so I chalk this up to a brain fart bad decision. I think after my initial pre flop mistake here I could have checked back the flop and seen a free card hoping for an A or Q and go from there. But yeah next time def shoving pre here facing a maniac.

It's reassuring to hear he had like a 1% chance of flopping that massive hand. I'm going to work on consistency in remaining more able to shove with a smaller stack deep in a tournament and not overthinking these spots.

R

rule72

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
...holding AQo and the board flops 6AA rainbow.

Preflop I'm holding like 11 BB. Button min raises pre and this player had been raising pre flop pretty much every hand for past 20 minutes or so. I can't remember if I 3 bet him or flat called (although I hope I 3 bet as a flat would have been kind of risky). Another player comes along so 3 in hand.

Flop is 6AA rainbow.

Checks around to me. Pot is now equal to my stack so it's really shove/fold here. I have 3 of a kind Aces, Queen kicker. I figure I'm only losing to AK here so I shove.

...out and left thinking who slow plays 66s full of Aces when you have 2 callers and risk them having you crushed with A6 or drawing with 77-KK or A7+ drawing for any card that can help them complete a higher FH. I could understand if the guy has A6 he's slow playing but come on now. I doubt had I shoved pre the guy would have folded. I considered checking back the flop but then I'm concerned that I have 2 players in the hand and if I don't hit an A or Q on turn I'm looking at being dominated anyways.

So is this a spot where you're going broke late in a tourney?
I agree with the group and your conclusion AQ preflop is a shove when down to 11bb's. I also think this hand probably ends the same played either way.

Note you said only loosing to AK, but that's only the third nut. The second nut is 66 so you only had the fourth nut on the flop and the first nut is A6. This is probably a minor point though. The info missing here to really know what might happen preflop are the relative stack sizes. I think that stacks much larger than yours and smaller stacks call your all in with a very wide range of hands. You'd have more fold equity against the stacks just a little bigger than your stack.

An additional factor is where the money jumps are. My live tourneys players tend to over tighten when we get to two tables, money doesn't start until about half the final table is gone. I start pushing the small stacks and stay away from the big stacks except with premium hands and AQ qualifies as a big hand.

So your last question, "So is this a spot where you're going broke late in a tourney?" YES!!! you are short and you don't have time to wait for something better. Even if you double up on this hand when blinds go up next you're in the same boat as now.

Is this a bad beat???? No, you had AQ vs 66, you actually don't have the best hand preflop, but you flopped a great hand the fourth nut and lost to the first nut. Just variance.

E

el Jefe

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Going broke

In this spot you should definitely go broke after the flop. You certainly should have pushed pre-flop. By playing so passively you never gave the other guy a chance to fold. You seem to think this is a bad beat, but he was beating you on every street and you didn't do anything to make him fold pre.

If you are truly trying to get better and not just complain about losing this hand, I'd suggest that you look into why you are seemingly always short stacked and relying on all ins for survival. The fact that you didn't raise pre-flop here and you mention multiple spots where you are pushing short makes me believe that you are playing too conservative and just looking at your cards when you make decisions.

If you steadily accumulate chips you'll be able to survive these kinds of hands.

I think if you review your hands you'll see a number of missed opportunities for acquiring chips. I'd spend time thinking through those as opposed to this one.

Last edited:
Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

"I did-ent"
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips

Although we're told Villain has been raising often, it isn't safe to assume it'd be with ATC when blinds have shove/re-shove stacks as he should realize he'll be priced in (in most cases). I might assume (depending on what I figured their experience was, what adjustments they're making, etc. etc.) that a standard open-raise in this spot might be closer to & be top of their range as I'd think they'd be just open-jamming considering stack sizes of hero (& BB?). 53 remaining out of 580 field, it looks as though the bubble has been popped which is also going to influence my thoughts as to what BTN's range is here when they just min-raise (or make their standard open) here.

I wouldn't consider 3-betting small here with AA/KK (or any other hand either) unless I was playing against some non-thinking players. It is going to be so obvious & would be like playing your hand face up. (unless your opponent is thinking that you're thinking that he's really not thinking.... but then he knows you're thinking that he's thinking that you're thinking he's not thinking but is actually really thinking AND then you get him to fold while doing this with some random junk (very unlikely scenario in this spot, LoL).
I would think it'd be more likely to get action by just 3bai in a spot like this with AA/KK as I'd also assume this has likely been your play up to this spot in previous hands. (it's a Turbo, more than likely many shove & re-shove stacks).

In some instances we should be stealing with a wide range but only if we feel strongly that we have fold equity. With 10-11bb's we dont' typically have much fold equity when facing an open-raise (but of course 'it depends' ie. if it is someone like Abdi/naruto then there's a good possibility he would fold in this spot vs. many players).

OP, this is a clear & easy shove preflop. Even if villain is choosing to make a min-raise open here with only the top of his range & shoves the rest of his opening range it is still a shove (imo).