Can anyone fold a straight flush 9 to K?

johnny tigre

johnny tigre

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I was playing at pokerstars a week or two ago and i got a hand 9dKs. Cant remember how big my stack was but i was in the top 50. Anyways, the board went Kd-Jd-10d-Qd-X.
I got excited and was thinking of how i can get the most out of this hand.
I raised on every turn and another player keeps calling, until the river where we kept on re-raising each other till i am all-in (he got me covered). Lo and behold, i got busted by a royal flush.:eek::eek::eek:
I was already thinking that it is possible he may have the Ad but the possibility i think was very small and who will fold a hand like that? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
bro, a familiar situation, the other day was the same, I feel empathy))

DougPkrMonsta

DougPkrMonsta

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Had you stopped and asked yourself why your opponent kept raising your bet on the river I think you could have probably saved some chips on this hand.

Especially if you consider that they just called the turn to 'slowplay'... I wouldn't have folded but I wouldn't have kept raising until I was all-in either.

Good luck to you! :D

AMTF1988

AMTF1988

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would never fold it, you made the right move in my opinion and I would have done the same

Gabinho12345

Gabinho12345

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is no reason to keep raising on the river. Any hand with ace of diamonds in it beats you, so you should just call on the river.

korneel

korneel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is no reason to keep raising on the river. Any hand with ace of diamonds in it beats you, so you should just call on the river.
Well there is if you think you have the winning hand.
And with a royal flush, it isn't hard to think you have the winning hand...

J

johnnysnoo

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I would have taken that to showdown...... but as stated above, if you think your behind just call and close the action.

J

Jordenandrew

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would have folded if he pushed all in live another day

edc1

edc1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think I'm folding str8 flush ever-losing to a royal is just a cooler,best to just forget about it and move on,i lost similar way to higher str8 flush years ago on fulltilt

O

Orman Nelson

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The answer to your question is no, I could not fold it. But with the possible one card cooler out there(especially with that card being the ace) I would have stopped raising when he raised after river. But I don't see how you could fold in that spot.

Last edited:
wsbar

wsbar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I never fold a monster hand of this. I would do the same thing.

Gabinho12345

Gabinho12345

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well there is if you think you have the winning hand.
And with a royal flush, it isn't hard to think you have the winning hand...

With royal flush you always have the winning hand because it's the best possible hand. Straight flush on this board can easily be beat especially when you get raised on the river and you shouldn't be reraising when it happens.

A

AlbieTross

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In any other situation no, but since he kept reraising you could have assumed he had the Ace and your best move would have been to simply call.

thatguy6793

thatguy6793

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah I agree with all the other posts, never folding that hand but a better why to play it is just to call after the repeated re-raises. If you do that you at least get the money in the pot if he's overplaying a flush or straight but you also mediate the loss if he does have the royal flush here which as you saw is pretty likely. Just a rough hand in general with the v having the one card that beats you :thumpdown

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes you get into a cooler. I would have been all in.

R

Rational Madman

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
This is the dilemma of the tournament grinder, in cash games you can just raise big and afford that loss no biggy. cooler hand is acceptable loss for pro grinder of the cash games.

S

SaulBadman

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Easyfold i think)) when there is a Royal flush dro, no point in thinking

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
K9os?
Had you folded the hand preflop, you wouldn't have put yourself in that situation.

gjwalk

gjwalk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No, I could never fold a straight flush, that's some bad luck there.

X

xbursonicx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You had second best straight flush so obviously you wanted to extract as much value as possible. But i'm not sure about the river play: while betting on the flop and on the turn is reasonable the fact that the opponent kept calling you should've been suspicious given how dangerous the board was.

The opponent must have assumed that you either hit the flush or bluffing. Given your play was consistent with hitting a flush he must've assumed the former. And given he did that and kept calling/reraising you then he must've been sure he had a better hand.

So while fold wasn't an option here perhaps going all-in on the river could've been avoided (by calling instead of raising/reraising). Though i don't think i would've been able to handle the situation any better - most likely i'd shoved all-in even earlier because of all the excitement.

johnny tigre

johnny tigre

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Point well taken guys. Just plain calling his reraise in the river is the best move here. Its just that greed has taken over logical reasoning, thats why i never considered him having the royal flush.

M

marakhovskii

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not know what was your opponent's second card, but I think that you were from the very beginning behind, but you thought differently about a gift that your opponent could only dream of ...

Full Flush Poker Folding in Poker