Any Tips For Final Tables ?

C

chalghaf

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have been choking often when it comes to final tables or after i make the money in tournements , any tips on what should i improve when it comes to mental state or how should i manage my stack ?

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited by a moderator:
deyvsonflp

deyvsonflp

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Don't be in a hurry, try to get to the podium, for that, only enter the hand if you have value. Avoid bluffing. Naturally, opponents will fall. Among the top 3, be very aggressive. GL

R

Ron112355

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Nothing beats experience , best way to do that is play Sit and Go’s in my opinion.
This gives you many more opportunities to practice final table play than if you are only playing bigger tournaments.

L

lolshovaments

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Understand variance, ICM, ranges and play lots of STTs.

Zvezda kz

Zvezda kz

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have been choking often when it comes to final tables or after i make the money in tournements , any tips on what should i improve when it comes to mental state or how should i manage my stack ?

At one time, I also faced similar problems. They helped me, good distance in sit and go for 9 people and spin and go. And to solidify the material, I played a lot of 10-25 cent sit and go with 90-360 people. So I secured the material for the pre-finals, short-handed and heads-up.:ciao::wavey:

S

sundizzel

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you're not familiar with the concept of ICM (the Independent Chip Model), I would definitely look into that for final tables and specifically when there are 6 or less players left in the tournament. Essentially, according to ICM, the difference in stack sizes becomes a major consideration such that the largest stack may be pressuring the smaller stacks into playing the very top of their range by playing any 2 cards aggressively every hand with a big enough stack advantage (a bit of an exaggeration, but that's the idea).

While ICM somewhat applies late in tournaments before the final table, at this point you really just need either a) to have a big enough stack to survive through the ever-increasing blinds or b) to run hot (haha, I know this seems dumb, but running well early in tourneys does just about nothing for you--save the good runs for deep!). If you're real short, you need to be ready to send it with any decent hand and hope for a good flip (keep in mind your seat position and previous action when making this decision). Also, if you're substantially changing your play style after you've got into the money because you feel pressure, don't do that! Playing how you were playing got you into the money, and the best you can hope is that it continues to get your deeper.

One thing that might make you feel better about your losses or at least provide insight as to why you're losing is to mark specific hands where you were unsure what to do and then go back and calculate the expected value of your hand on each street (you can use Pokerstrategy.com's Equilab free software). As long as you are making +EV decisions, don't feel bad about losing. If you're making -EV decisions, work to correct those mistakes, and your poker game will improve tremendously.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

- Sundizzel

L

lolshovaments

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ICM, better understanding of variance, push/fold ranges, watch lots of videos, post hands and talk about it... a lot of things can improve your game. Play more STTs is a fair option. But after all... #loldonkaments.

Threshold2122

Threshold2122

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
From my experience people seem to relax after they hit the money or when they reach the final table

So my advice would be to try and find a way of keeping your frame if mind the same when you reach the latter stages of a tournament and just try and keep your edge and not take your foot off the gas

Good luck out there

C

chalghaf

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
From my experience people seem to relax after they hit the money or when they reach the final table

So my advice would be to try and find a way of keeping your frame if mind the same when you reach the latter stages of a tournament and just try and keep your edge and not take your foot off the gas

Good luck out there

that s my problem that i become way to relaxed that i end up playing poorly and dont advance for higher ranks in the tournements but im working on it !

C

chalghaf

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you're not familiar with the concept of ICM (the Independent Chip Model), I would definitely look into that for final tables and specifically when there are 6 or less players left in the tournament. Essentially, according to ICM, the difference in stack sizes becomes a major consideration such that the largest stack may be pressuring the smaller stacks into playing the very top of their range by playing any 2 cards aggressively every hand with a big enough stack advantage (a bit of an exaggeration, but that's the idea).

While ICM somewhat applies late in tournaments before the final table, at this point you really just need either a) to have a big enough stack to survive through the ever-increasing blinds or b) to run hot (haha, I know this seems dumb, but running well early in tourneys does just about nothing for you--save the good runs for deep!). If you're real short, you need to be ready to send it with any decent hand and hope for a good flip (keep in mind your seat position and previous action when making this decision). Also, if you're substantially changing your play style after you've got into the money because you feel pressure, don't do that! Playing how you were playing got you into the money, and the best you can hope is that it continues to get your deeper.

One thing that might make you feel better about your losses or at least provide insight as to why you're losing is to mark specific hands where you were unsure what to do and then go back and calculate the expected value of your hand on each street (you can use Pokerstrategy.com's Equilab free software). As long as you are making +EV decisions, don't feel bad about losing. If you're making -EV decisions, work to correct those mistakes, and your poker game will improve tremendously.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

- Sundizzel

thank you for this well thought advice ! i will be putting more time into learning poker rather than playing it for the time being so ill make sure to follow your tips ! :)

G

gryphon3005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Stack sizes are probably the number one thing players pay attention to at a final table. But the strategy you should work out first is how you want ti finish. Are you just plain happy to be not only in the money but at a final table. Are you just hoping survive to the next pay jump? If that's the case then folding will be a big tool in your toolbox. If, though, you want to aim for the bigger prizes in the top 3 spots then keep playing the game that brought you to the table. The mid stack players will often tighten their ranges so attack them when you enter the pot. Stealing blinds and antes is a very good way to build that stack and make the final 3 so raising pre-flop while in position will produce more folds that you might expect. When the mid stacker calls you don't be afraid to make a continuation bet because the odds will be in your favour that he didn't connect and doesn;t want to gamble with you. Try to avoid tangling with the big stacks but pay very close attention to how they are playing. They have their eye on the prize at the end and will sometimes play somewhat passively meaning you can sometimes attack them.

B

bigplayer

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the final table play very tight and the goal is to let players eliminate themselves. This strategy will allow you to stack or chip up when you get good hands. If not the chip leader avoid all ins unless favorable flops on your big blind.

Maxmustdie

Maxmustdie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you need to play SNG 9max, they are not bad at training the game
it will help on MTT final tables

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello. I play tighter on the final table. I play with a good deal of patience. Seems as though, a couple of folks will take their own selves out, moving me up without doing a thing. Like free entertainment.
Dan'O

M

molokheia

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hi there

First you must have a lot of ships to face the other players
Second play tigh agressive
Third Good Luck is essential

Rgds

MAGICUZ

MAGICUZ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I see you often get to the final tables:)and still have not gained experience!The final table requires luck, patience and not much aggression.Then I think you will succeed, if, of course, you will ever get into the final table of the tournament)

black and

black and

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
First of all, it is very important to stay calm, because it will allow you to focus better and think carefully about your every decision. Too often, our hasty and ill-considered decisions lead to losses, so usually everything is decided by our concentration.

4give4live

4give4live

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't be in a hurry, try to get to the podium, for that, only enter the hand if you have value. Avoid bluffing. Naturally, opponents will fall. Among the top 3, be very aggressive. GL

Correctly. Wait. And once you've got a chip advantage, act decisively.

M

MakTrue

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Good afternoon!
Stay calm, do a couple of physical exercises, for example.
The final table is already a huge result in MTT tournaments. You are a great fellow!
Discipline, distance, work on the game - all the peaks will conquer :D:D:D:cool:

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
usually when I'm lucky enough to reach a final table and have a higher stack than most of my opponents. I play tight and let my opponents do the work for me. It is only when there are only 3 players left at the table that I start to be aggressive while showing good judgment. otherwise if I find myself on a final table with a stack limit. I play tight and aggressive while taking more risk early on to come back up before the blinds go up even more and she stops me from playing. I advise you to visualize your objective and the best strategy to adopt before starting to play. you will thus have another good reason to show rigor and discipline to properly manage your stack.

C

chalghaf

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
usually when I'm lucky enough to reach a final table and have a higher stack than most of my opponents. I play tight and let my opponents do the work for me. It is only when there are only 3 players left at the table that I start to be aggressive while showing good judgment. otherwise if I find myself on a final table with a stack limit. I play tight and aggressive while taking more risk early on to come back up before the blinds go up even more and she stops me from playing. I advise you to visualize your objective and the best strategy to adopt before starting to play. you will thus have another good reason to show rigor and discipline to properly manage your stack.

same thought process for me ! but i need to have a lit bit more patience !
although nowadays even if i have the high stack i tend to be aggressive !

Alizona

Alizona

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Learn what ICM is ("Independent Chip Model") and understand why it is important. Don't turn it into a headache tho if you're not into analyzing numbers. The main point is to understand the concept of how/where/when/why you should be trying to ladder up.

The simplest example of what ICM is and how it helps us, is to imagine we're at a final table and we have the 2nd largest chip stack at the table. Looking around at the chip stacks of all the players, we see 6 players each have 1 chip left. We get AA and the largest chipstack shoves all-in, and now it's our turn to play. What do we do here in this spot with the best hand possible, aces? We FOLD. If you don't understand why we could possibly fold AA here at the final table, then you really do need to look into the ICM concept, it will greatly improve your FT results over the long run. Don't make ICM errors, they are bankroll killers!!

ramdon p358

ramdon p358

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
It all depends on the amount of chips you have when you reach the final table. That influences a lot in decision making and also the jump of prizes. Another tip would be that you enjoy the final table because it is very difficult to reach one

Poker Tips