The All-In Shove

MrMeeseeks86

MrMeeseeks86

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know that the shove is an essential tool that especially tourney poker players need to have but I was just wondering what everyone's strategy with it is.

Is it mostly for stealing blinds at later levels? Is it to isolate an effective stack by making the rest fold?

What boxes needs to be checked for you to put all your chips in the middle?

Jester36rus

Jester36rus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe agressive opp and the nuts on my hand[emoji3] But really it happens more often. It is necessary to go all in with shrot stack in later tourney phase with wide range to try to survive. It may be nice in bluff but only when u have learned opps game. Even i cannot count all the situations when all in is rightful decision, but all the situations have special conditions for it.

K

karl coakley

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All in to steal the blinds is usually a bad idea unless you are really short stacked (less than 15 bb). The problem really is that usually the only people that are going to call most likely will have you beat so you win very little for a large risk.

I like all ins when you start getting short handed. The blinds move so fast that there isn't much "playing" poker. Its hard to wait for a hand.

I like all ins when you are short handed playing against better players. This can level the "skill" playing field. You don't want to keep playing pots and have someone "out play" you slowly grinding down your stack. You are far better just taking a 60/40 or 50/50.

Shalarin

Shalarin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
with less than 10 BB I shove a nearly good hand. But it depends also on position. I hate all-in preflop but sometimes it is neccesarry

pr0serbian

pr0serbian

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on the stack.Short stacked i shove wider range of hands(Ax,KQ,QJ,pocket pairs) but im not calling all ins with hand like A 6,QJ..becouse its big chance im dominated with 3 outs...When i have big stack in the middle or late phase of mtt i avoid sticking it it before the flop espacily against big stacks(folding ak,aq,aj,medium pocket pairs to big stack jam). basically shortstacked - aggresive ,bigstacked-tight.

schtiuky

schtiuky

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All in

To use all in in tornements its better to know this: newer youse all in to still. Do it if yor short stack otherwise you can be caught by a batter hand and lose positions/money for nothing. Remember many players are waiting for a good hand to go all in in thouse stages.

Andrew Popov

Andrew Popov

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Keep track of the position, play all the good hands. Often you just take the blinds away. In other cases, against one opponent, you still have about 50% luck.

E

Edvin55555

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When my stack is under 15bb i mostly use allins.

DougPkrMonsta

DougPkrMonsta

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I mean if you get aces or flop the nuts on the first hand and someone keeps raising you then eventually you'll go all-in. I think you are talking about later in the tournament when you start getting low on chips due to increasing blinds?

There are a lot of good push/fold charts out there that can give you a good idea of what cards you should go all-in with based on your current number of big blinds and given a certain number of opponents behind you.

I treat these more as a starting point though - you should know what hands you can profitably shove in these short stack situations, but you should also adjust your ranges for what you know about how your opponents are playing.

If someone's sitting there waiting for only premium hands you can steal wider banking on the unlikelihood of them finding a hand they are willing to call... or if someone is raising every hand you can loosen up your re-shove range against them.

Good luck to you! :D