AKo on button late in tourney with about 9bb left facing two all ins?

quick

quick

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Last night was playing in the 8K GTD deep $11 on Bovada and after some really short spots managed to get back into the game grinding a stack back up, make it into the money with about 30 players left out of around 880.

Get dealt AKo on the button. At this point there's two very large stacks to my right who have been stealing blinds easy with 1.5-2.5x bb raises and those raise sizes just before the bubble and after the bubble have been successful in this tourney for blind/ante steals for myself and a few other players I notice.

I have a little over 12bbs left on the button, get AKo. Blinds are around 8k/16k with 600ish ante. I raise it up to just under 40K. I contemplated a shove but with SB, BB, and 3 others left to act I want to see if I can steal the blinds or hit an A or K on flop and GII.

SB folds, BB folds, next to act who has about 10bb insta shoves, next folds, player in late position thinks for about 30 seconds with about 7bbs left and shoves. Now I know that in these spots many players are shoving a super wide range, lots of Ax, lots of pocket pairs, lots of suited connectors.

Calling will effectively put me all in.

Action on hero in this spot? And would you have simply open shoved the button with AKo taking any decision away?

Jblocher1

Jblocher1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Last night was playing in the 8K GTD deep $11 on Bovada and after some really short spots managed to get back into the game grinding a stack back up, make it into the money with about 30 players left out of around 880.

Get dealt AKo on the button. At this point there's two very large stacks to my right who have been stealing blinds easy with 1.5-2.5x bb raises and those raise sizes just before the bubble and after the bubble have been successful in this tourney for blind/ante steals for myself and a few other players I notice.

I have a little over 12bbs left on the button, get AKo. Blinds are around 8k/16k with 600ish ante. I raise it up to just under 40K. I contemplated a shove but with SB, BB, and 3 others left to act I want to see if I can steal the blinds or hit an A or K on flop and GII.

SB folds, BB folds, next to act who has about 10bb insta shoves, next folds, player in late position thinks for about 30 seconds with about 7bbs left and shoves.

Calling will effectively put me all in.

Action on hero in this spot? And would you have simply open shoved the button with AKo taking any decision away?

I'm slightly confused because you said you were opening on button so there should only be the blinds left to act? As described though I'm snap getting it in, you need to chip up to put yourself in a position to FT and AK is way too premium to ever fold on 12BB. You block both the hands that crush you and we are more than happy to flip if we have to.

Generally speaking the only times we want to be min raising or raising on a 12BB stack on button would be to induce resteals from weaker hands, but in an 11 dollar MTT I would much rather see us just get it in.

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I love shoving with AK because the calling hands that you have dominated are numerous. I would just shove as putting in 1/3 of your stack statistically makes you all in already as your odds match what you have to call.You are lucky you got shoves....if the hands doesn't go your way oh well you made the correct long run decision. Your hand is rarely dominated but it is vulnerable to a pair as even 22 has 49% equity against AKs

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Also it is easier to win two double ups than 1 triple up.So shoving gives the fold equity of getting someone out of the pot.Because best case scenario you get AQo and AJ they still have 50% equity against you...much easier to double up twice than to triple up once and more valuable also.

quick

quick

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm slightly confused because you said you were opening on button so there should only be the blinds left to act? As described though I'm snap getting it in, you need to chip up to put yourself in a position to FT and AK is way too premium to ever fold on 12BB. You block both the hands that crush you and we are more than happy to flip if we have to.

Generally speaking the only times we want to be min raising or raising on a 12BB stack on button would be to induce resteals from weaker hands, but in an 11 dollar MTT I would much rather see us just get it in.

Thanks for the reply. My bad, i meant I was first to raise as others called the big blind only. I 100% agree here and it was a flip. I guess my primary question is should I have, as the initial raiser just shoved instead of raising then waiting for a re-raise/shove to get it in pre? Spoiler below.

I love shoving with AK because the calling hands that you have dominated are numerous. I would just shove as putting in 1/3 of your stack statistically makes you all in already as your odds match what you have to call.You are lucky you got shoves....if the hands doesn't go your way oh well you made the correct long run decision. Your hand is rarely dominated but it is vulnerable to a pair as even 22 has 49% equity against AKs

Thanks and great point. I did end up snap shoving all in after 2 others shoved, I figured they were also short so super wide range and I was correct that I had outs on them, neither had a face card in their hole cards. Spoiler below.

Also it is easier to win two double ups than 1 triple up.So shoving gives the fold equity of getting someone out of the pot.Because best case scenario you get AQo and AJ they still have 50% equity against you...much easier to double up twice than to triple up once and more valuable also.

Thanks you make a great point. I suspect in this spot had I open shoved instead of raising and letting two others shove, it's possible I could have gotten one to fold (although with what they each had and both also being short like me I doubt either would have folded). Spoiler below.

SPOILER: So my main question here was should I have shoved as my initial raise instead of raising then getting shoved on and calling all in. I did call all in after the two short stacks both shoved.

One player had 77 and other had 66 so we had some good outs. Unfortunately flop was connected, no Aces or Kings appeared and 66 picked up a straight on turn to win the 3 way all in and we busted out.

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Actually with those hands you are doing pretty good because the percentages are coin flip for you but triple up...sorry you didnt hit K or A.

quick

quick

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Actually with those hands you are doing pretty good because the percentages are coin flip for you but triple up...sorry you didnt hit K or A.

That's what I figured. It was def a bummer, had I tripled up I think i would have been able to break into finishing in top 20 if not making it to final table.

N

neafana

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You have executed the perfect play for a 11$ MTT.

You raised, trying to put them all in, which was perfect. You should never fold this with 12BB. Shoving would have scared them, calling you with A2o of some weaker hands.

Guii_LF

Guii_LF

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I shovo, it's time to go back to the tournament

Q

Quads2017

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Shortstacked a shove with AKo is always good! The big stacks are trying to put your out anyway so better try to triple up.Of course you also will need luck to win because against two other players your odds are maximum 40%.

U

ucdengboss

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As others have stated I would have just shoved this in. Even more so with a couple limpers. Possible at least one will fold and add a little bit of dead $ in there.

M

microdonj

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
This past weekend I had a similar experience.

Blind 2.5k 5k 1k anie, 50k in play (roughly 10 bigs) small blind position. Ave stack 90k

9 player call fold fold fold call fold fold raise 15k. I shove all in with kqo. Action is on button.

He waits 30 seconds and calls with 10s. Hits quads on the turn.

Man this was painful. Busted out 62 out of 350. ITM at 50.

I guess that's poker

kowrip

kowrip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

With only 12BB, I would have just shoved. Around 15BB or so, I would consider putting in a standard raise since I could fold and still have a stack with some fold equity.