AK off in tournament start

A

andrezito38

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't feel very confident about getting 60bb at the start of a tournament with AK off, but I realize that depending on the model, it becomes vital.
what do you think?:confused:

M

Mahdi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think we need more specifics to understand what you are talking about

najisami

najisami

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
Tough to answer your question providing that your post does not contain enough info. But in general, and even in later stages of a tourney, AKo cannot be considered as a prime hand. Not a category 1 hand. I think it should be played carefully unless short stacked and in a fold/shove mode.

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I don't feel very confident about getting 60bb at the start of a tournament with AK off, but I realize that depending on the model, it becomes vital.
what do you think?:confused:
AK is a strong hand but it's just a draw still. It worths a reasonable raise pre-flop (most of the times). If the flop does not mach, watch out.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Certainly A K is favorite in many situations, but you still have to be very careful because good poker players know that A K can win small victories but especially big defeats. even if your two private cards are indeed strong. you don't have a hand made. you need to be able to not overestimate it and gauge its potential when needed. it is especially advisable to play it taking into account the state of your stack.

Suppose you are at the start of the tournament with enough chips. You can afford to call a raise, if only to see what happens on the flop. on the other hand if you have less than 8 to 10 times the blind. it is advisable to go all-in. A player who holds the AK combination still has a good chance of winning the shot. because anyway, you don't have enough time to wait and wait for a better hand.

F

fefibecerra

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Really though to answer, since AKo is always a strong hand but, somehow, maniacs that call with 27o might get a full house every now and then. Personally, I prefer not to go all in early in the tournament, unless I get AA or KK.

J

JackFlash19

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
IMO it's a great hand if you want to double up early and have a rebuy ready, but other than that scenario you should be able to get away from it if the narrative dictates it. Early on in tournaments I try to just feel out the table and not get stacked bc you'll NEVER win the tournament on the first hand but you can definitely lose. AKo is only one of around 300 or so hands you'll see in a tourney (obv more for larger fields), so maximize value without getting overcommitted. You can definitely hang yourself with this hand to essentially ANY pair that will call you looking to get tripped up. You have to realize the other players also have early-tourney strategies that aren't normally in line with your play style ie calling just to see the first hand, just to see what you have etc. Early on I don't normally like to get a target on my back for being the early aggressor, usually feeling out the table etc.

in short, ANY hand should be played cautiously early on.

G

gryphon3005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There's nothing vital about playing AK for most of your stack in the opening stage of a tournament. You have zero information about the other players so you're gambling at the worst possible time. Against pairs you're on the losing side of a coin flip and against KK or AA you're in real trouble. If the other guy hammers the pot with a shove or, in your case, 60BB, then fold and move on.

MoCoSolo

MoCoSolo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The problem with AKo is that you have to hit something to be super ahead. And the odds of hitting an ace or a king is the same odds as someone hitting a 7 or 2. If the other person hits, you are pretty far behind.

MoCoSolo

MoCoSolo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To add to prior comment, I guess if neither person hits, you win.

Adi8877

Adi8877

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am in a 'lovely' run again with AKo, even AKs cards, not against pocket pairs, because that is okay, it is a flip, but agianst everything else AQ, AJ, A10,A9, whatever other Ax is that, same with Ks, K8o, K6o whatever else K it is... does not matter how i play.... so no comment about AKo, basically there is no preflop hands left, what i comfortable to play, maybe 52o, as it works so many times against me, but only against me....

Roller

Roller

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
AKo is a good starting hand but to put in 60 BB preflop with it may be a little reckless. A good hand to raise preflop but no All in at the start of a tournament.

perrypip

perrypip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With 60BB I'm not even thinking about going all in with any hand. My standard play with AK or even AA would be to put in about a 3BB raise.

Facing a 60BB 3 or 4 bet shove with AK I would probably fold unless I had a read the villain is loose. It's not worth it for the coin toss against a smaller pair and AA or KK would be a disaster.

Emily Trott

Emily Trott

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I don't vary my decisions based upon the stage that the tournament is in. If it is the correct play then I do it on the first hand, the last hand before the bubble, or the final hand when head to head.

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Consider playing A/K o the same I play JJs. Preflop shove and get ready to rebuy.

:D

Seriously though - if I miss the flop - and do not have an exceptional draw, against a solid opponent - this is an easy fold on the flop if I'm either led into, or if my cbet is re-raised.

Z

Zirkzee

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you missed the flop with AK, the hand is usually not worth much. Especially not when there are flush and straight draws and more then two players have seen the flop. So check and go out when someone raise. A bluff is a waste of money

L

Lina1020

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK is a very good hand at any time at the beginning of the tournament, you have to play it well, there is a problem if nothing arrives.

Sakisdask

Sakisdask

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AK its a strong hand for start one tournamet but you will to be careful with bet

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AK is a strong hand but should not be overestimated and if so be able to fold.

C

Cinhos_2000

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you lnow people are going all in w basically any two at the start of the tournament it is worth it. I basically go all in in freerolls w a lot of people. I usually get called w literally any two and more often than not I double up. If it's a more important tournament I play it as the same way I would deep in the tournament and that probably means folding it for 65bb.

C

CSLysander

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was playing a hand and had become short stacked. I got QQ and went all in. 2 people called, with one of them going all in. One had QQ as well and the other person had AK. The 2 of us with QQ won the hand and the guy with the AK was crippled. AK looks pretty, but does not perform all that well when facing many pairs. I have seen AK call an all in against a pair of 2s and come away crippled. Bet good, but remember the best you have is an A high.

Alekxandrovi3

Alekxandrovi3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a strong hand. Depends on who you are playing with. At the beginning of the tournament, if everyone goes, you need to understand what they want to rely on. Doing so at this stage is not necessary if the bank is small. You can answer if you are confident enough in your hand.

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CR
Chips
Although you don't give us much information about that specific situation ... I would tell you that if I am in the early stage of a tournament and I am in early position I would place a 3bb bet ... and if I am in late position I would do it. a re-raise to 3bet.

A

andrestc

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't vary my decisions based upon the stage that the tournament is in. If it is the correct play then I do it on the first hand, the last hand before the bubble, or the final hand when head to head.

But the correct decision varies depending on the stage of the tournament mainly because of ICM considerations. So you do need to consider the stage of the tournament.

Mityamoriss

Mityamoriss

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Probably raise on the pre-flop (depends on my position)