AK in BB

H

Haemophile

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
against a single raiser do you flat or 3bet here?

The Boss

The Boss

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Typically I re-raise since you want value on AK due to it being a good hand.

J

jospel

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would 3 bet for sure. It's a strong hand so you want to get some value out of it in that position.

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I re raise to know where i am standing againts the villain.

J

Jamuka7657

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's one of those hands that I think you definitely need to 3 bet with, but don't get too attached if you miss the flop.

schtiuky

schtiuky

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
always bet! at least i do like that every time.

Alex Houngan

Alex Houngan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me, in this situation, the more the call. It is important to understand what stage of the game, it is better to see the flop.

J

JRNorris95

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
3betting will accomplish 2 things. It will tighten the range of your opponents, making it easier to predict what your opponent may have hit on after the flop. It will also let your opponent know that you have a serious hand, and will reduce the chance of them trying h steal the pot with a bluff after the flop.

In this position, I would 3 bet.

F

Fastone2

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Call an see the flop. Unless, your short stacked....

O

Ofarah

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on the raiser stats. If it’s a lag player maybe he will be scared off by a reraise so you could slow play and induce bluffing. If the villain is a tag I would always 3 or 4x to get information preflop and peel if you don’t hit the flop.

R

Roblandinho

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Call an see the flop. Unless, your short stacked....

a terrible idea. always raise without a position and possibly call 4bet. AK do not call, especially without a position.

L

LongRover

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am not the greatest fan of the Big Blind. Who knows what a single bettor raises on! Yet, AK are really good hole cards. I would normally raise 3 x BB on a 10, 9, or 8 table.

Below these configurations, for instance, tables with 7, 6 or 5 players, I might be more conservative and flat bet. The reason for a flat bet on the middle size tables is that many pairs, high or low, go through and win the pot against over cards.

I have seen the same thing on lower size tables such as those with 4 or 3 players. AK is a nice catch, but it is still not a pair. Flat betting offers a chance to see the flop before making a high chip commitment. I would follow this procedure not just with AK and AQ, but also with AK and AQ suited.

When it gets to Heads up, a more aggressive approach is probably appropriate, meaning go 3 x BB on AK or AQ, suited or not, because over cards often rule when pairs are scarce - just don't count on it as gospel.

ruswolfhound

ruswolfhound

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depending on the stage of the tournament, the number of players at the table and the size of the stack

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it depends. I also like to mix up my play so I don't always do the same thing with a particular hand in a particular position.

E

edcwy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Aggression. If you have a short stack, you're ought to shove.

DougPkrMonsta

DougPkrMonsta

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Agree with mixing it up and flatting some of the time - you keep in dominated hands, disguise the strength of your hand, and it is good to have some strong hands in your calling range especially if you defend your BB often.

Re-raising definitely has its advantages too - do what you are most comfortable with most of the time imo.

Good luck to you! :D

AvovchikA

AvovchikA

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sometimes I drop this hand, but not against one raiser. Everything depends on the person opposite, more precisely on his style of play. Sometimes I will call after leaving the status of the aggressor to him. Sometimes I will reraise or even shove. It all depends on your position and position of the opponent .

LumeBStackin

LumeBStackin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm almost always 3betting, and willing to get all in preflop. Chances are you're a coin flip at worst. I like to gamble though and I don't play high stakes.

I

Igor An

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Three bets if there is a good supply of chips

F

FreeDom1998

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Re-raise definitely ... (3-Bet)

vavilen_

vavilen_

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK's hand is in the top range and we need to increase the pot pre-flop in order to benefit from the hand! and there is one more important moment, a raise gives you 2 options, you can win here and now, and limp does not give you that opportunity)

MorDa

MorDa

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know that with AK's hand you always need to do 3 bets, but for me this is the most unlucky hand, so lately I'm doing it with CAll

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
against a single raiser do you flat or 3bet here?

Typically speaking you should 3-bet to thin the field to one or possibly two callers at most. The dillema you have is if you miss the flop and your opponent might catch a piece of it you could put in too much of your stack at risk.

Especially calling stations its hard to wiggle your way through bluffing these times.

My suggestion is don't invest more than a 1/4 of your stack in case you don't catch any of the community cards.