Is AK always a three bet/ jam for you pre in most cases?

K

KielBasaa

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm wondering what factors might make you guys flat AK pre instead of 3-betting? I almost always am looking to getting AK in pre flop but I feel like I lose unnecessary chips in some spots with AK that could be avoided by playing the hand post flop instead of jamming pre. What makes you guys decide to flat this hand instead?

E

EL1t1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You generally should look to get it in, however u dont want to overvalue ur hand in some spots where its most likely or almost never good, for example, ur 200bb deep in a tourney at start, u wouldnt want to get it in against any thinking opponent as u will either be flipping(most likely not even that) against QQ or be dominated, or in like deepstack cashgame, but again lets say UTG opens, u 3bet utg+1, button 4bets and utg original opener goes all in for like 100+bb effective, this is easy fold spot again, and flatting might be better if u are like big stack vs big stack on bubble of a tourney coz u dont want to risk bubbling as a big stack ( if opponent covers u on bubble ), other then that, 50bb or less, should always be looking to get it in vs almost every opponent

3gdata

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of cause not, this is not always 3-bet for me. Often, I like to just call with AK if I'm in position. When I'm OOP, it's different, I think it's better to play this hand aggresively. I'd rather reraise this hand than just call in most cases. Yep, sometimes it's good to push this hand, but not always. If it is an MTT and not cash game, I push with AK more often, especially when I'm shortstacked.

bakreni

bakreni

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you should also mix your game if you always 3 bet,shove AK people will know what you have end fold....so some time you need to just call with AK so people dont know what its your range ...especially later in the tournament

J

JekinTar

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If AK drops out of me, in 99 cases I go all-in or raise, that is, in this case I start playing aggressively, in most cases, it works and my hand wins in most cases, which I wish for you all. Good luck, guys.​

greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi, Ak for me is usually 3bet but not always, you can not be so predictable when playing poker now, the reason why I raise is the same as everyone has written in this post, be aggressive if with a premium hand like AK we are not aggressive playing, so when? It is not a hand to play slow (usually) so you have to give something of value to the hand.

Greetings

K

kristersb123

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think sometimes shove, sometimes not. Its about how other player plays - tight, agressive
But usually I would shove

ChickenArise

ChickenArise

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its as simple as am I protecting a huge lead or not. If not its easy to 3 bet jam this.

I do sometimes over call a raise with it if there are a lot of people to act behind and then defer the decision.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Even though this hand is often abusively played by a large number of players, you should be able to not over-estimate and gauge its potential at the right time. In some situations you will have to throw it preflop without any remorse. But if you decide to play it a 3bet ratio is strongly advise cat it will allow you to chase all the small pairs of connectors and As followed. This will be all profit if no player follows and if a player does, you can still use the continuation bet to win on the flop. However keep in mind that you have only about 12% chance of finding an Ace or a King on the turn if you have not touched the flop.

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is to be flatted most cases because that is how it plays well. Only times I 3 bet it is when there are 2-3 or more people that want in on the pot already and I only 3 bet t 2.25 to 3x. I usually jam with it at 12BB or less when I don't want to miss the flop 71% of the time with it and c bet my entire stack with a desperation donkey all in. This is of course MTTs. When you 3 bet it the weaker ace and king fold out which you need to take their entire stack off them post flop. The hands narrow to ones they stack you 12% of time (sets) pairs 57% beat you or combo 9Ts that wont go away until they get their straight flush etc. Jamming AKs or Off is a large mistake that risks your entire tournament life of you guessed it Ace high.

I always raise with big AKo or s. Always.

roger perkins

roger perkins

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Most of the time yes its a raise with AK, depending on position, who im up agaianst, how any are in the pot. I think most people overvalue AK Too many people shove preflop and most of the time its a coin flip.

J

Joe1

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I re raise with Ak always no matter what situation minimum 3 bet, or All In, addition before the pay period when it comes to the bubble, I would Folden .But it must be really only in This situation

FerC182

FerC182

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK is always good, I usually play well with AK, it depends on the moment for example UTG I even go all inn preflop, but the mini raise is the most indicated, in case you do not hit the flop, a chek or a bet is enough for you to extract information of the opponent, so it is easier for you to drop the cards or go to the river

Q

quant1986

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Against very tight player EP open or certain final table ICM spots

NWPatriot

NWPatriot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AK isn't even a favorite against a pair of 2's! about 45/55.

raising and 3betting makes good sense so that you can isolate the field and see the flop and then make your next decision. It is a premium hand and you need to play it and show some strength, but putting your tournament at risk to win a little more than the blinds with a hand that isn't even a favorite, is too reckless for me.

Maybe this is why I am not a poker millionaire..... yet.

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Absolutely not. A lot of people think of AK as AA. It is not a made hand. There are so many times I have folded AK in the right situation. Someone had KK, another time someone had AA. One way to look at it is how far are you in the tournament, what type of player are they, and their bet sizing.

M

Mezouzax

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm very tight with AK now cause like said The Dude, it's not a maked hand, and most of case ( stack, position ) i play carefuly and try to put the right raise if i no touch on flop. in most of cases i think people make strongest mooves, if no donks or dummies against you, who and with ? gonna call u on 3 bet? most of time PPx or AA( QJX )o/s - and flop 2 5 9, chips loosing in 2/3 times. So personnaly i just make 2.5 preflop if nobody mooves before and chek the flop most of time to keep fuel in case of crash ;)

T

TheShark77

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Only ~40bb deep or below I would 3b/jam in a vacuum.

wolfik1950

wolfik1950

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AK is a good hand against 2-3 players max, the greater the number that can be variously

crimsonblur

crimsonblur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends obviously on the situation and the amount of money in the pot but often times later in tournies I will be 3-bet jamming with this hand for sure

lsbenn

lsbenn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends whether it is cash game or tourney. Cash game I raise AK perflop. Tourney depends on which level, position, are you close to the bubble, or in the money. Too many ways to play this hand that it is hard to explain without dragging it out. Just say you will never know if I have AK or not. lol

TheRealPage

TheRealPage

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My stack makes my decision.. If I can "afford to lose some chips" because I have a big stack, I can cold call and play with the board.

but 98% of the time, it's a shove preflop.

I fold them prefvlop near the bubble.

Good luck!

-TRP-

I'm wondering what factors might make you guys flat AK pre instead of 3-betting? I almost always am looking to getting AK in pre flop but I feel like I lose unnecessary chips in some spots with AK that could be avoided by playing the hand post flop instead of jamming pre. What makes you guys decide to flat this hand instead?

S

Streetwylde

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK suks. Worst hand in poker. Ask this question. What's the one hand you go out with the most. My bet is it's AK that most go out with the most. I'd rather have pair 22.

damgold

damgold

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is a good hand but loses for several hands, if I am short I go all in without thinking, if I am at the beginning of a tournament and do not hit anything on the flop nor do I get flush draw nor straight draw and the villain shows a lot of strength I give up.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
This hand brought to you compliments of 888.
Hero with AhKc on BB. Starting stack about 50bb. Folds all around to small blind, who raises to 3BB with 75ishbb behind.

Hero?

Hero 3bet raises to 10bb.

Villain calls.

Flop is 5s7sTh.

Villain checks. Hero?

Hero bets 4bb. Villain raises to 8bb. Hero?

Hero calls.

Turn board: 5s7sTh2d

Villain checks. Hero?

Hero jams all in.

Screenshot 20190123 194817

Don't be a hero.