AGGRO!!! ...Reasoning

T

Tylor Mendez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the reason why its so important to play aggro is because there will always be nits at the table. A majority of the time people will call 1 bet but not 2, so double barreling can be very helpful to give you those extra blinds for later in the tournament.

Secondly, you want to build an AGGRO IMAGE. This is important because if you are folding every hand people will notice and avoid being in pots with you. However, AGGRO players tend to get paid more when they have their hands, making players like Dwan so dangerous.

Just a thought. Agreed?

5pAce_C0wb0y

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think the reason why its so important to play aggro is because there will always be nits at the table. A majority of the time people will call 1 bet but not 2, so double barreling can be very helpful to give you those extra blinds for later in the tournament.

Secondly, you want to build an AGGRO IMAGE. This is important because if you are folding every hand people will notice and avoid being in pots with you. However, AGGRO players tend to get paid more when they have their hands, making players like Dwan so dangerous.

Just a thought. Agreed?

If your playing to many hands players will pick up on that and start looking you up and not necessarily when you have a good hand. Much better to get a read on your table and adapt your style to best exploit your opponents.

Last edited by a moderator:
G

gryphon3005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I assume you are talking about tournament play and, yes, I agree there are always a few nits at the table but that is usually at the beginning. As the tournament moves into the middle and late stages you will have to adjust your play. Your aggression will eventually run into a big 4 bet. You will figure out you're either folding or heading towards an all in. So, I think your aggro style does work but it isn't going to carry you through to the final table without some adjustments with an occasional dose of caution.

T

Tylor Mendez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If your playing to many hands players will pick up on that and start looking you up and not necessarily when you have a good hand. Much better to get a read on your table and adapt your style to best exploit your opponents.

That's just one way to look at it tho. It depends on your table, I suppose.
If it's a tournament where the players don't know who you are, you will be able to build a stack early and if they start calling you down literally just wait until you have a big pair. But at least you built a decent stack to have them call u down a couple times and then stack them with a good hand (even top pair top kicker etc.).

Last edited by a moderator:
T

Tylor Mendez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I assume you are talking about tournament play and, yes, I agree there are always a few nits at the table but that is usually at the beginning. As the tournament moves into the middle and late stages you will have to adjust your play. Your aggression will eventually run into a big 4 bet. You will figure out you're either folding or heading towards an all in. So, I think your aggro style does work but it isn't going to carry you through to the final table without some adjustments with an occasional dose of caution.

I agree with you there gryphon. It is best to get it in 82%-18% late tournament to expect better results. However, everyone is thinking this because they are so close to the big money, so stealing the blinds when folded to you on the button works more often than not.

foran

foran

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
etapas

one modifies its game depending on the stages of the game, initial stage must be played closed, middle stage open the range and final stage push or fold and our stages depend on our blinds.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
While this will work against the nits, good players will pick up on what you are doing and can make you pay for be too aggro. If you are going to play this style you need to be very good post flop to make it work out and even then it may not work out in the end. Think of Gus Hanson. He was very Aggro and did well for quite a while. One people really became aware of his style he did not do so well then gave up the game for a while.

C

cardshark944

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
AGRO strategy

I agree...the AGGRESSIVE players do get called more often than I seem to when they have a premium hand. I SELDOM if EVER see those same players left when we are down to 3 tables. They definetly have to be selective later in the tourney.

R

rudy988

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Just a thought. Agreed?

In a way , yeah ; I agree with everything you said m8, but only in cash games , not tourneys , at least in my world .

Playing aggro in cash games can be very profitable specially if you hit great flops . Ofc position is the key like always .
Sadly in tourneys , you get called 2 times , u were bluffing/missed flop/he hit or was stronger , and half or even all of your stack is gone .... On a long run is very very unprofitable ...

So on tourneys I prefer to play slow boring poker and fold over 90% of hands and earn some $$$ , rather then playing every 3-4th hand , and bust early ;)

gl m8

Alex70793

Alex70793

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree, sometimes you need to specifically lose a small amount, then to use this image to win a large amount.