Advise to run deep more in 1000$ MTT

T

Trueman

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi all,

what do you suggest to run deep more in ranking and preferably win a 1000$ MTT. I have to late reg (2 hours of late reg) due to my daily schedule. the starting stack is 30000(37.5 BB) and the blinds are 400-800. the levels are 12 min and prizes start from 16th place. Usually, 120 persons participate. I was not successful in a while and need some advice on how to play on each stage of MTT, I mean early, mid, bubble and final table. Should I play risky from the start in hope to double up, or tight and wait for a special moment?

Thanks for your kind help.

sharipov8090

sharipov8090

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello at Pokerstars there are tournaments spin and go for $ 5 where you can instantly win up to $ 3.000.000 advise can you get lucky)

Tenek26

Tenek26

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Should I play risky from the start in hope to double up, or tight and wait for a special moment?

The initial stage of the tournament is good because you can play more flops, thereby creating the prerequisites for increasing the stack. In last months I have been playing in a very wide range during the early stage and this brings results. You can start playing in aggressive style on preflope, when all players have deep stack, but don’t need to invest too much in postflop.

B

bagoly696

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi all,

what do you suggest to run deep more in ranking and preferably win a 1000$ MTT. I have to late reg (2 hours of late reg) due to my daily schedule. the starting stack is 30000(37.5 BB) and the blinds are 400-800. the levels are 12 min and prizes start from 16th place. Usually, 120 persons participate. I was not successful in a while and need some advice on how to play on each stage of MTT, I mean early, mid, bubble and final table. Should I play risky from the start in hope to double up, or tight and wait for a special moment?

Thanks for your kind help.

The following three ideas are key to the successful survival of the early and middle stages: Don't get into big cashbooks with marginal or weak cards, so we can't lose a lot with them! If you have a really good page, try to win more! When we come, let's raise it! Try to win a big pot with a small investment with speculative cards!

It is a little incomprehensible to know what I did, but this pair of tips is also true for a gaming token!

Last edited:
T

Trueman

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The initial stage of the tournament is good because you can play more flops, thereby creating the prerequisites for increasing the stack. In last months I have been playing in a very wide range during the early stage and this brings results. You can start playing in aggressive style on preflope, when all players have deep stack, but don’t need to invest too much in postflop.

That was really helpful. Shall I play from the first stage or is it profitable to join in late reg?
After reg. we start with 37.5BB and the average stack is 75 BB. The game is NLH format.
The point is, after tracking several MTTs on this format I realized the winner of the tournament is usually a loose & Aggressive player who doesn't mind going all in with low pairs-marginal hands in the early stage to gain chips.

Tenek26

Tenek26

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Shall I play from the first stage or is it profitable to join in late reg?

I always play only from the very beginning of the tournament, and playing a very wide range, including hands having weaker strength than the “average hand”. Mostly these are small connectors like 23o, 45o, 67o and so on. Late registration forces us to play with a medium stack, and any wrong action turns our stack into a “short stub” that should be played by push/fold. However, I am often very surprised and do not understand how some very tight players manage to get to ICM, they just sit and wait for their AA or KK, and then simply double / triple their stack during all-in. When I am dealt AA or KK, I simply collect the blinds, for this reason I prefer the loose style of play.

bablovod

bablovod

stupid parody of the game
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
Hello at Pokerstars there are tournaments spin and go for $ 5 where you can instantly win up to $ 3.000.000 advise can you get lucky)

however, a strong recommendation
:eek:
:D

T

Trueman

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I always play only from the very beginning of the tournament, and playing a very wide range, including hands having weaker strength than the “average hand”. Mostly these are small connectors like 23o, 45o, 67o and so on. Late registration forces us to play with a medium stack, and any wrong action turns our stack into a “short stub” that should be played by push/fold. However, I am often very surprised and do not understand how some very tight players manage to get to ICM, they just sit and wait for their AA or KK, and then simply double / triple their stack during all-in. When I am dealt AA or KK, I simply collect the blinds, for this reason I prefer the loose style of play.

Thanks a lot, Tenek26,
I totally agree with you, I think you have a better chance to win the tournament when starting from the beginning unless you manage to keep the loose style of play in late registration too.

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Try to find tournaments where you can be in from the beginning instead of late registering. There are a lot of great reasons that people have already mentioned in this thread, and for more check out pros talking about the new option to late reg the wsop main event this year—I didn’t hear a single one say they were going to take this option, because of the immense value in being there early. As the tournament progresses, in general the “cream rises to the top”, so you want to be there from the start in order to be the beneficiary of the chips most easily given away.

In addition to studying your hand histories, watching poker training videos, and/or reading CardsChat article, there’s one big factor in how frequently you’ll win a tourney—how many you’re playing. Keep in mind that if you’re playing one a day or less it may be months before you win 120 person tournament, even if you’re playing perfectly. The average player will win 1 in 120, so keep that in mind and good luck! :)

Tenek26

Tenek26

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
who doesn't mind going all in with low pairs-marginal hands in the early stage to gain chips.

I do not quite agree with this statement. When I talk about the loose style, I don’t say that you need to expose with a marginal hands, when you having a deep stack. This is very minus on the EV and will soon waste your bankroll. When I talk about the loose style, I’m talking about a wider range preflop, but when you find yourself postflop you have to think well about how much value our combination has. To do this, you need to know the approximate range of your opponent, for this reason it would be good to have a hud.
I wish you good luck in conquering the top of MTT, try your skills on the ipoker network, it has weaker opponents and a small number of participants, which is very convenient for those who have little time to play.:)

K

Kaban

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you have to play tight aggressive at all stages:D:D:D

T

Trueman

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Try to find tournaments where you can be in from the beginning instead of late registering. There are a lot of great reasons that people have already mentioned in this thread, and for more check out pros talking about the new option to late reg the WSOP main event this year—I didn’t hear a single one say they were going to take this option, because of the immense value in being there early. As the tournament progresses, in general the “cream rises to the top”, so you want to be there from the start in order to be the beneficiary of the chips most easily given away.

In addition to studying your hand histories, watching poker training videos, and/or reading CardsChat article, there’s one big factor in how frequently you’ll win a tourney—how many you’re playing. Keep in mind that if you’re playing one a day or less it may be months before you win 120 person tournament, even if you’re playing perfectly. The average player will win 1 in 120, so keep that in mind and good luck! :)

Thank you very much, Katie. Actually, the comments in this thread changed my mind, to play from the start or at least the first hour of MTT instead of playing after late reg. The truth is as far as playing poker is my second job I have limitation in timing, So I only can manage to participate in 4 or 5 MTTs in a week. I wonder if I can raise that 1/120 chance by increasing the skill part:). This thread is my first one and you and others helped a lot so far.

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The truth is as far as playing poker is my second job I have limitation in timing, So I only can manage to participate in 4 or 5 MTTs in a week. I wonder if I can raise that 1/120 chance by increasing the skill part:). This thread is my first one and you and others helped a lot so far.

I bet you already are already doing better than that 1/120, and will continue to improve the number of first place finishes. 4 or 5 times a week is a whole lot better than once a week! Best of luck [emoji4]

T

Trueman

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not quite agree with this statement. When I talk about the loose style, I don’t say that you need to expose with a marginal hands, when you having a deep stack. This is very minus on the EV and will soon waste your bankroll. When I talk about the loose style, I’m talking about a wider range preflop, but when you find yourself postflop you have to think well about how much value our combination has. To do this, you need to know the approximate range of your opponent, for this reason it would be good to have a hud.
I wish you good luck in conquering the top of MTT, try your skills on the ipoker network, it has weaker opponents and a small number of participants, which is very convenient for those who have little time to play.:)

Thankyou Tenek26, how can I sign up for Ipoker? I looked at their website & got confused.
Do you suggest Apps like float the turn to use when the stack size is 10-20 BB and need to a double up to stay in the race?
In fact, for 6 months I participated in 4000$ Tournament I finished 2nd & 4th two times. and recently decided to take the chance in 8000$ one. I think I need to add some aggression to my style due to better players in such a tournament.

Tenek26

Tenek26

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do you suggest apps like float the turn to use when the stack size is 10-20 BB and need to a double up to stay in the race?
In fact, for 6 months I participated in 4000$ Tournament I finished 2nd & 4th two times. and recently decided to take the chance in 8000$ one. I think I need to add some aggression to my style due to better players in such a tournament.

Honestly, I have no idea what this application is, try to ask more experienced players on the forum how useful it is. I use another software. A good application for exploring ranges is flopzilla, or pokerstove (it is free). In addition, if you want to play tournament poker, you need to hone your push / fold skill, for this purpose the software sng wizzard or icmizer2 helps a lot. However, you should remember that, under no circumstances - you can not use the above-mentioned applications when the poker room is on, otherwise you will get a banned in this poker-room. In other words, you are allowed to use these applications only as a workout, when your poker room is turned off.

The ipoker network represents a large number of poker rooms, you can choose any one of them that has the highest number of ranking, and also according to whether the selected poker room accepts players from your country.
As I recall, ipoker includes such rooms as : bet365, william hill, betfair poker, winner poker, bet-at-home poker, and many yet. Please read more about this network on the Internet, my information is a bit out of date. In my case, the choice fell on titan-poker, but I do not know what country you are from, and whether you can play in this poker-room.

You play at very high limits, I don't think I have the qualifications to help you, I'm just a small fish. Try to talk about tournaments with more experienced people on the forum. :)