Advanced 9-Man SNG Concepts: Shoving vs. Raise on the Bubble (Video)

Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
You asked and Collin Moshman delivers with this awesome poker strategy video focusing on Advanced concepts for 9-Man SNGs. While this topic is geared toward single table play, these strategies can be applied to multi-table SNGs and MTTs.

In this video Collin goes over everything from ICM, Fold Equity, along with other more advanced level thinking and analysis with hand examples to show you how to use these concepts to your advantage. Watch, learn, take notes, and let us know what you think:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=begFBOVE0eQ

zam220

zam220

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for the analysis. Good concepts are shown here, good strategy for SNGs this means we need a really narrow range to call and a wide range to shove !

acidburnfx

acidburnfx

Senior apprentice
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Interesting concepts of strategies presented for SNGs. You need to be very careful to understand what types of players are at your table to apply these techniques.

Edison A

Edison A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Shove vs Reise on the bubble ...it's a problem that we have many players in tournaments, what you say in the video is very important, Bubble situations may requiere significant edge to call off your stack, Excellent video Collin, I learned a lot

Bev

Bev

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Again a good video , with good advice . Thank-you again Colin and yes I agree with you.
It is very easy to lose everything when it comes to the bubble. I have had the software feed me and then take away just when it counts.
So, if you are in position to shove - then do it and then the others have to deal with it. They will fold if their hands are not strong enough. ( course then you need to take in the variable for donk hands/crap cards that will win ! )

hmmm - that chart with the odds for hands looks interesting . Might be handy to have :)
Against good players .... it seems to me that if you all have made it to the bubble - then everyone who is there are either very good , or they have gotten lucky !
At this point - for the Key Strategy Adjustment , shoving 20bb is good advice if you don't have a large amount of chips , but if you do , then it might be easier to fold and only play very strong hands . IMO
So, yes I agree with the normal play part .

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Excellent video, has helped me to improve my game is as important as the bubble stage.

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Shoving can be a very good answer to a raise, when we have the fold equity. Especially in mtts when blinds grow, we must raise our stack and this can happen with shoving, which can lead us to stealing blinds and have a good chance to win the pot when we are shoving with a good hand, even it is not monster.

Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
An interesting video, especially about pushing anything through the entire table, I don’t allow myself to play like that, maybe I’ll try it a couple of times. Knowing the opponents and more importantly when the opponents know how to play, you don’t think I can imagine such a game.

tehb1987

tehb1987

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm not sure this is the most useful video I've seen. And don't throw Slippers at me :D
Just how long have I not played 9-max, I never felt the pressure of a bubble. Perhaps this is because of the low limits. But as a rule such meetings last no more than 40 minutes. And to ITM there are already clear favorites. In this case, a small stack will push with any playable hand.
In any case, thanks for the video, perhaps such concepts are more suitable for MTT

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks guys! Very glad you're enjoying this video.

Acidburnfx, I definitely agree that knowing who's at your table is super important for applying these concepts.

Tehb, You're right that the same ideas apply very well to MTT spots with payjumps, nice point there.

Bev, Very true -- There are times when it's best to hunker down and only play premiums. A lot of the time you should try to accumulate chips very aggressively, and some of the time you need to tighten, so it's a definite mix of art and science :)

I

Index12

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's interesting that the calling range is tighter then the shoving range especially if there's antes in play. I suppose that it does make some sense on the bubble though. But I'd think that you'd just get called down lighter if you get caught right?

PsychoVas

PsychoVas

What The Duck???
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Very educational video. Good to know that moves I made instinctively have a solid foundation in ICM analysis. Thanks, Collin.

BentleyBoy

BentleyBoy

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The concepts related to bubble play are very exciting indeed. Its interesting how the ICMIZER determines a very wide shove range for the first to play and then a very tight range for the following players. This is something that should be used by players who are struggling to get past the bubble....but beware BIG stacks, as they will crush your shove if they have struck lucky!

Thanks Collin

BB

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks Psycho and Bentley!

Index, good question and that depends -- since these ranges are mathematically correct, people aren't "supposed" to widen even knowing what you're up to. They're supposed to continue to call very tight, for example, when they're mid-stacked on the bubble and you've shown down shoving junk into them.

But of course, people can always ignore that and call wider anyway. So you want to be on the lookout for these spite calls :)

A

Anders1616

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
An interesting video, seeing the videos and learning from them, are improving my poker game. Thanks Collin.

bablovod

bablovod

stupid parody of the game
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
very informative. thanks.
bubble is the most desirable and the most dangerous stage. everyone is waiting to shove and steal the blinds. and everyone is waiting to catch the thief.

lucas24

lucas24

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Amazing how positive it is to push any two in the last situation. It's very important to pay attention to all the stacks on the table.

AzdajaD

AzdajaD

Meat Pounder
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
RS
Chips
Great strategy for SNG. Thnaks for the video.
Bubble is difficult time to make decisions in poker and fun in the same way... :)

king11682

king11682

Kimba
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Thanks for this video where it shows us Advance of 9 man sng concepts, shoving in the bubble, using ICM concepts.
Depending on our stack and position

bruno13xs

bruno13xs

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I do not play very SNG tournament, but thank you very much for the advice and will apply in order to win my tournament, I will always agressivar and empurar batteries

Paya_31

Paya_31

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, as always a great video, one of the problems that costs more in tournaments, the bubble. Sometimes it is difficult to make decisions in this case, but with the help of Collin I have evacuated many doubts. It is clear that we should take into account. as the stack of opponents and also how to play, which allows them to push in different poker situations and favor me. Very good video and keep it up.

Andrew Popov

Andrew Popov

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For a player in tournaments or SitNGo, playing a bubble is one of the key points that most clearly affects your bankroll. Either you get the money or not. There are no other criteria for the correctness of your actions. CardsChat offers another great video to illustrate this point and understanding the logic of the game on the puzzler! Thanks!

shanest

shanest

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
IE
Chips
Some great tips there. Especially the adjustment to open jamming against good players instead of min raising. An adjustment it took me some time to make but when I did I reaped the rewards.

Ventoman777

Ventoman777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Aggressive, reasonable, clear and well-coordinated game is the same sit and go strategy that leads to the coveted prize.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is very important to understand, that this only work against players, who fold, when they are supposed to. In microstakes tournaments a lot of even seemingly decent players will make a ton of incorrect calls, because they have not performed these kind of ICM calculations, or maybe they just dont like you.