Adjusting from online to live

H

HSmith

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do alright online, im up so doing ok, but i have a nightmare when it comes to live games. About 5-10% of the players are decent players, know how to play and are deffo better than i am with more experience, but the rest are the most fish fish ever looking for a gamble.
The problems im facing are that im card dead for most of my time there and i am just never bluffing the fish.
Even when i havent played a hand for ages, wake up with A Qs re raise large pre flop, i will still get about 5 callers, miss the flop and have to give up as one of them will have out flopped me.
They are so fishy that i have seen people call all ins, for their tournament life with 34o and then flop a full house.
These are the players im supposed to be picking off but i just cant play against them, i cant narrow down pots to just 2 of 3 and when im card dead which is most of the time im really struggling. Also as theres usually 4-6 fishes in a pot at a time, one of them will usually outdraw me. They even chase 2 outers even when faced with big bets. Does anyone one else experience live play like this and how on earth do you win :D

T

tmfnsanders

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe play razz?

J/k. Your other thread is full of great suggestions about how to react to being carddead. All of those will still apply and help you a bunch in live mtts as well. My advice vs the "fishy" opponents is either A. stay disciplined and keep playing super tight without losing your focus and then bet like crazy when you get something or get your push/fold game on point and blind down until you are in critical mode, then look for shoving opportunities or B. Open up your ranges A LOT more, see flops with these "fishy" people, and outplay them postflop if you have the ability to do so- it really doesn't seem like you have much experience with this though, as catching cards isn't really what we mean by "outplay".

I haven't played many live tourneys (12 or so), but it really seems to me that you are greatly exagerating the fishy level of play are cardeadedness. I can see it being really fishy early on but once blinds get higher these players tend to tighter up a lot or get themselves eliminated. As far as being carddead- yeah I have had times where I go for an hour or 2 with only a few "playable hands" but I'm always able to adjust and sneak some steals in either pre or postflop.

H

HSmith

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe play razz?

J/k. Your other thread is full of great suggestions about how to react to being carddead. All of those will still apply and help you a bunch in live mtts as well. My advice vs the "fishy" opponents is either A. stay disciplined and keep playing super tight without losing your focus and then bet like crazy when you get something or get your push/fold game on point and blind down until you are in critical mode, then look for shoving opportunities or B. Open up your ranges A LOT more, see flops with these "fishy" people, and outplay them postflop if you have the ability to do so- it really doesn't seem like you have much experience with this though, as catching cards isn't really what we mean by "outplay".

I haven't played many live tourneys (12 or so), but it really seems to me that you are greatly exagerating the fishy level of play are cardeadedness. I can see it being really fishy early on but once blinds get higher these players tend to tighter up a lot or get themselves eliminated. As far as being carddead- yeah I have had times where I go for an hour or 2 with only a few "playable hands" but I'm always able to adjust and sneak some steals in either pre or postflop.
Its hit and miss with some toureys, i have made the final table a few times, one time bubbled when my kings got cracked but i really am struggling with there being so many fish at the table at once, obviously the more in the pot the less likely i am to win the hand and trust me when i say some tourneys i am card dead i mean dead, like one time my best hand through out the whole thing was K 2o, not even a pocket pair

T

tmfnsanders

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its hit and miss with some toureys, i have made the final table a few times, one time bubbled when my kings got cracked but i really am struggling with there being so many fish at the table at once, obviously the more in the pot the less likely i am to win the hand and trust me when i say some tourneys i am card dead i mean dead, like one time my best hand through out the whole thing was K 2o, not even a pocket pair

See this right here is a perfect example of what I'm trying to get at. You are only looking at the strength of your hand preflop. Vs multiple opponents you should be playing hands that will have the best chances of having equity postflop.

I would much rather have a hand like 45s or 89os than K2o in a multiway pot because it has way better chances of flopping equity against top pair or overpairs that people stack off with a lot postflop

TheRealPage

TheRealPage

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you can get your hands on that book : Mrs Poker, I'm not bluffing by Suzie Isaacs, in the second book she gives a lots of tips about the transition.

Basically it's your way of acting around the table that is important.. anyting you say or do can give crucial informations to your opponents.

The best tip I can give you is never talk if you're not involved in a hand.. That, live players really appreciate that!

-TRP-

H

HSmith

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
See this right here is a perfect example of what I'm trying to get at. You are only looking at the strength of your hand preflop. Vs multiple opponents you should be playing hands that will have the best chances of having equity postflop.

I would much rather have a hand like 45s or 89os than K2o in a multiway pot because it has way better chances of flopping equity against top pair or overpairs that people stack off with a lot postflop
Oh i agree i love suited connecters, especially in a multi way pot, just a bad run i think recently, im sure ill pick up soon :D

juninhigh

juninhigh

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree wit you in the part it's useless to bluff against beginners and fishes, but i think the way you're describing sounds that this place you're playing aren't quite normal (it's like the are playing play chips), if that's really happening all the time you should change the place where you're playing, it's rare to see this kind of situation, usually the level i face live is way higher than this.

Organize a Home Poker Game