AA vs river overbet

vox1er

vox1er

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I should have just made it pot size bet on turn. But what you are doing on river? As played are you calling that or not?

PokerStars Tournament (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players

BTN: 130.5 BB
Hero (SB): 127.5 BB
BB: 188.2 BB
UTG: 111.5 BB
MP: 126.8 BB
CO: 105.3 BB

Hero posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has A
diamond.gif
A
spade.gif

fold, fold, fold, BTN calls 1 BB, Hero raises to 5 BB, fold, BTN calls 4 BB

Flop: (11 BB, 2 players) 7
diamond.gif
diamond.gif
spade.gif

Hero bets 6.5 BB, BTN calls 6.5 BB

Turn: (24 BB, 2 players) 8
diamond.gif

Hero bets 10 BB, BTN calls 10 BB

River: (44 BB, 2 players) 8
club.gif

Hero checks, BTN bets 59 BB, Hero ?

zekubiki

zekubiki

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
of course, we must fold, cause there are many straights and flushes on this board. i think, also opp can has full house with 77 or 44.

TheRealPage

TheRealPage

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
without reading on vilain it's a bit hard to say... looks like it happened deep in the tourney.. he probably had a good read on you and knew you weren't playing the flush.. so he had position and he did..??

I would have tried a bet pot size post-flop (and maybe overbet +1BB).. trying to protect from flush draws and make fold week pairs and stop right there..

I find that flop crazy for aces.. straight draw, flush draw.. then a deadly turn.. then, if it wasn't enough: rivver killer opening to a full house.. however your opponent called a 4x raise preflop so... he probably have something strong like an over pair also..QQ, KK.. pocket 7 is also a possibility.. limit 88.. 56, nahh... 2 diamonds.. KQ-KJ? can be at this point in the tournament, but you don't usually flat call with these two..

Or, a 2-3 of spades for successful bluff.. :D:D

-TRP-

ssangyongpoker

ssangyongpoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a very tough spot. The straight got there, paired board got there, flush got there. Yes you are holding the A of diamonds for blocking nut flush but when he over shoves the pot on the river you can only put him on two things, made flush or straight bluff. The paired board doesn't scare me at the end, cause it was runner runner. If he flopped a set, I would see him bet a lot more. In this case, I think a fold is the best move

S

skeptix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
An obnoxious situation to be sure, but you must fold unless you have reason to believe opponent has spazzy bluffs.

dedok0525

dedok0525

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the deep stages of possible flash AKss AQss AJss hand fitting to call 5bb to call preflop and on the flop in this late stage of the tournament.

K

kkonicke

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I feel like you can eliminate a lot of overpairs and big aces here because he limped on the button and called your raise. Maybe trapping with AA-QQ, but I can't see a hand like 10s limping here. You having the A of diamonds blocks a lot of Ax flushes. I also can't really see him having any 8x here besides 87. So basically he either has a boat, or a super spazzy bluff in my opinion. Once in a while he'll have suited broadway in diamonds...but it's a bit weird to overbet jam with that hand, better chance to get a call for 20 or 25 BB. I think this is an easy fold. 44, 33, 77, 87 all make so much sense to limp/call on the button.

XYZ2123

XYZ2123

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Without having any specific details on villain's tendencies I would fold here. AA probably not good here with flush, straight and possible trips. The BTN limped so could have anything. Sucks to fold AA but sometimes just necessary.

darthjewel

darthjewel

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me interesting is the moment after the flop when you see 743
You bet and get a call 6.5BB.
At this point you may decide if he is bluffing or not.
If you decide he is not bluffing , you should fold.
If it is a bluff, then also the river bet is a bluff and there is no reason to fold out.
I would probably not bet immediately after the flop trying to 'hide' AA.

J

jokkerivanapoiss

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would've folded probably.. even if he was bluffing, a set is enough to win your 2 pairs.

foran

foran

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
bet the 20 cg to avoid the bluff or check fold

gabpoker

gabpoker

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You dont say what stakes this is but at low stakes with no reads I would tend to overfold to large river bets. The population is not bluffing enough here. If they are bluffing here then well played.

M

marcumx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
situations like this where im last to act i will just check , no need to waste money if you're beat imo

Jilty

Jilty

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How was he playing before? There is a lot of hands that can you beat you, straight on the flop and a flush draw, flush on the turn, full house on the river.

Probably a fold.

Last edited:
N

NotNegreanu

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Simple

Ill tell you why this is the easiest fold of your life and you should never allow yourself to be in this position in the first place. Only the real rookies make this mistake and I see evryone do it so everyone must be a rookie... BECAUSE WE ALL KNOW YOU FOLD AA PREFLOP!