AA vs flush draw

F

Felipe Navatta

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey guys, I played an interesting hand today and want to know your opinion.

It was the 0.55 bounty builder, I had 25bbs and came with AA in MP, raise 2.2x and only the big blind called, with 27 bbs. The information I had about him it was that he's calling station.
The flop came J52 with two diamonds and I decide to go all in. My strategy it was got paid by a jack or a flush draw. He call me with 72 of diamonds and hit the diamond on the turn.

My question is if it's better to just bet on the flop, so if a diamond appear on the board I play more carefully and not put my tournament life in risk?

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey guys, I played an interesting hand today and want to know your opinion.

It was the 0.55 bounty builder, I had 25bbs and came with AA in MP, raise 2.2x and only the big blind called, with 27 bbs. The information I had about him it was that he's calling station.
The flop came J52 with two diamonds and I decide to go all in. My strategy it was got paid by a jack or a flush draw. He call me with 72 of diamonds and hit the diamond on the turn.

My question is if it's better to just bet on the flop, so if a diamond appear on the board I play more carefully and not put my tournament life in risk?

Thank U 4 Posting

You played the hand perfectly based on the read you had of a calling station. As long as this V is calling wide, than getting this V to call with A5 for instance or 44 J9 64off etc more than balances out the times they have better hands.

However you narrowed the V's range to Jx or flush draws to call your shove. That means you are not getting value from enough of your V's range for the shove to be correct on the flop. Betting flop- shoving non diamond turns would be a better strategy to get more value from a wider part of the V's range

If you watch the pros play this big hand vs big draw type of situation occurs all the time. You had only 25BB as well and we cannot really bet flop -bet non diamond turn fold river with this stack size. Also how do we check flop -fold turn diamond to a player with such a wide range unless the are a calling station who only bets the nuts post flop?

Trust your reads- take the correct action and then just review the reads not the outcomes. This player called with 72s seems like your read was correct of a calling station but your bet sizing may have assisted your V in narrowing their range correctly which we do not want them to do.

Hope this helps

:):)

C

Coinuss

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi! Bounty Builder is a specific game, and perhaps your preflop bet was so low. But you need some luck to catch the right moment to double your stack. You have to make the villain make a mistake and you made this one. I think you did everything right. 2/3 pot on the flop and allin on the turn would be nice too, it is unlikely that you would have discarded seeing a closing flush.

F

Felipe Navatta

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank U 4 Posting

You played the hand perfectly based on the read you had of a calling station. As long as this V is calling wide, than getting this V to call with A5 for instance or 44 J9 64off etc more than balances out the times they have better hands.

However you narrowed the V's range to Jx or flush draws to call your shove. That means you are not getting value from enough of your V's range for the shove to be correct on the flop. Betting flop- shoving non diamond turns would be a better strategy to get more value from a wider part of the V's range

If you watch the pros play this big hand vs big draw type of situation occurs all the time. You had only 25BB as well and we cannot really bet flop -bet non diamond turn fold river with this stack size. Also how do we check flop -fold turn diamond to a player with such a wide range unless the are a calling station who only bets the nuts post flop?

Trust your reads- take the correct action and then just review the reads not the outcomes. This player called with 72s seems like your read was correct of a calling station but your bet sizing may have assisted your V in narrowing their range correctly which we do not want them to do.

Hope this helps

:):)

Thank you very much for the detailed analysis!!

F

Felipe Navatta

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi! Bounty Builder is a specific game, and perhaps your preflop bet was so low. But you need some luck to catch the right moment to double your stack. You have to make the villain make a mistake and you made this one. I think you did everything right. 2/3 pot on the flop and allin on the turn would be nice too, it is unlikely that you would have discarded seeing a closing flush.

I bet 2.2x pre flop because it was the size I was using with KQ, AT, AK... so I wanted to camuflate my AA. Yeah, bounty builders have a very diferent dynamic I like it very much haha

perrypip

perrypip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He only had a 36% chance of hitting his flush. Doesn't sound like he was getting those odds on a call. There was also the possibility that he wasn't on a flush draw when you shoved. You played well, he got lucky. You had a 64% chance of winning and extending your tournament life into bigger money.

It sucks but it's important to remember that this is part of playing well and it's just gonna happen sometimes, instead of fearing it, IMO.

D

Delfino

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you know he is on flush draw and he will call, bet as much as you can. Assuming that you have proper bankroll for the game, the more money you put into the pot with winning odds the better. I probably wouldn't go all-in because I would not be certain that he is on a draw and not flopped a monser. But again if I knew he was on draw, bet as much as he can call.

S

samsonand

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

the truth having a pair is already an advantage but the bad thing about double A is usually very fragile

ZPfBTNanAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.54)]
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.54)][/COLOR]

[/COLOR]

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Against a calling station player, this is the best solution if you push your stack.
Obviously the three diamonds will make your situation worse but you don't know what to do against a player like that.
The point is to always make the right decision and it can lead to success in the long run.
Good luck.

Alekxandrovi3

Alekxandrovi3

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
This is always a risk when you go allin when your opponent may have a flush draw. If this works you can knock him out of the game. If he wins you will lose part of your stack. I used to always play as well. If I thought that my opponent might have a flush draw, he always did allin and I was often called and won more often. After that, he began to play sequentially. I raise and if my opponent does not collect a flush on the turn, I make either a big raise or allin. This allows me to play my strongest hand most safely and win more chips and much more often.

D

Delfino

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
But this way you are susceptible to a river bluff. If the guys is really willing to call a large bet than bet large because you are shutting down his odds even if you are to payout on the river (his implied odds).

P

pablo lima

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
on this occasion I really want to congratulate you on the way you played that hand

R

ronn6583

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well played.
Would you call all-in on the flop with a weak flush draw and if only got into the third pair without a kicker?
Is this the right decision?

thehangdude

thehangdude

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I think your play was good. I think BB also played it right. BB called with 27s because he was getting like 4:1 on the call. Flop gave him 14 outs (9 to flush, 2 to trips, 3 to two pair) with two cards coming. My guess is villain was expecting to check/shove anyways.

You might consider increasing your typical raise. 2.2X gives the BB odds to call almost any two cards (with antes). 2.5X should limit the Blind auto calling you.

Full Flush Poker