AA vs all-in early in a tournament

makian

makian

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It was the first leg of the tournament. The player in Under the gun decides to go all-in. Everyone gives up to me. I'm in the middle position. I look at my cards and I have a pair of Aces! should i pay?

pirateglenn

pirateglenn

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with deb - dependent on stage in game, the best of players have the resolve and discipline to fold - that said - pre flop - it can be a coin flip at any stage if your opponent is committed, i see this type of play a lot with people pushing KK..
For me..its a call everyday of the week and twice on a sunday :)

makian

makian

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Are you asking what to do with a couple of aces on the pre-flop? ..... strange question.
first match of the tournament, leaves for AA, pre-flop, without reading some players

makian

makian

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You need to share more information - for example what are the stack sizes? I can't think of a situation where I would not call.
first match of the tournament, leaves for AA, pre-flop, without reading some players

makian

makian

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with deb - dependent on stage in game, the best of players have the resolve and discipline to fold - that said - pre flop - it can be a coin flip at any stage if your opponent is committed, i see this type of play a lot with people pushing KK..
For me..its a call everyday of the week and twice on a sunday :)
should I pay in the first hand of a tournament with the AA hand, in the pre-flop, a very disputed tournament? knowing that my hand is very strong and I am the favorite to win? This is the question!

greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is perhaps the strangest question I have read on the forum:
with AA on the pre-flop:
you must pay in the first hand of the tournament
you must pay in the middle stages of the tournament
you must pay even if it means you would be the bubble
you must pay in any circumstance because there is simply no logical reason to indicate otherwise in the pre-flop, there is no opponent reading that tells you to fold.

Psyanide14

Psyanide14

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would call the all in here. One thing you didn’t mention was whether this was a freeroll. In most freerolls you’ll have many players go all in early hoping to either double up or bust quickly. You may see several all ins on one hand. Even if it’s a micro tournament you’ll see people going all in right away but not as many. You aren’t going to get a better chance to double up than this so go for it. You may lose but you’ll never be behind preflop. If you get the double up then you’ll have a nice big stack early and can bully the other stacks and continue to build yours.

Best of luck.

makian

makian

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is perhaps the strangest question I have read on the forum:
with AA on the pre-flop:
you must pay in the first hand of the tournament
you must pay in the middle stages of the tournament
you must pay even if it means you would be the bubble
you must pay in any circumstance because there is simply no logical reason to indicate otherwise in the pre-flop, there is no opponent reading that tells you to fold.
truth! it seems ridiculous question! but no, I went through this situation 3 times in less than a week! and I was eliminated on all occasions! And the tournament wasn't frerrom ... but I know that AA, pre flop will always be the best hand!

N

natelearnspoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It was the first leg of the tournament. The player in Under the gun decides to go all-in. Everyone gives up to me. I'm in the middle position. I look at my cards and I have a pair of Aces! should i pay?

Yes, you should call given your options are to fold/call/raise. There is still a chance that your cards break, but that’s improbable.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
truth! it seems ridiculous question! but no, I went through this situation 3 times in less than a week! and I was eliminated on all occasions! And the tournament wasn't frerrom ... but I know that AA, pre flop will always be the best hand!
Who cares if you busted out with AA 3x in a row? Get it in the 4th time, the 5th, 6th, etc. Past bad results shouldn't affect you getting your money in +ev spots.

This is an easy spot to get it in.

roger perkins

roger perkins

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This question keeps coming up and the answer is simple. If you dont call an all in with AA then you should never call an all in. What other hand would be better to call with? The only time I would fold is if its a satellite(all finishes get same payout) and its close to the bubble and im already going to finish ITM.

S

Snake2007

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Today I lost twice in a row I had in hand KK against AA all in I lost. Then I had AA against 66 and entered the flop J 3 A then turn 6 and river another 6 I don't understand anything.

amatola

amatola

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips

1 on 1 - sure. But MP, you have a few more callers after you and if 2 or so call, your EV takes a massive knock.

I think really good players might think this is a gamble and never go all in pre flop? Not sure, dont think I have ever seen someone fold AA preflop.

As someone said, will fold close to the ITM if winning tickets and already guaranteed one. Have made the mistake of going all in and watching my ticket fly out the window.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
1 on 1 - sure. But MP, you have a few more callers after you and if 2 or so call, your EV takes a massive knock.

I think really good players might think this is a gamble and never go all in pre flop? Not sure, dont think I have ever seen someone fold AA preflop.
No decent player is ever folding AA in this spot. It's so silly to do so.

And yes, AA's preflop equity does go down with more players that enter the pot. But guess what? So does every other hand and AA still has the best preflop equity against all of them. So, why would you fold the hand that has the best odds to win?

balo

balo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NO
Chips
You never fold AA , unless you are close to the money and the prize for doing it is high. But luck is a part of this game , if you lose with AA it happens, nothing you can change.

You want to avoid playing AA in a 3 or 4-way, important to raise preflop to get rid of the calling fish.

Alekxandrovi3

Alekxandrovi3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you need to assess the danger before you fold or call. Aces is the strongest hand in hold'em. You must understand that against a couple or even several players you have good chances. In heads up, you have the best chance. With each new opponent your chances become less. If you have aces and there are many opponents in the bank, your chances will most likely not be enough to put a significant part of your stack or the whole stack into the bank. Even a very bad hand in such a situation can make a better combination than yours.

C

Coinuss

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I call all-in early in the tournament and I hope that it will fight one on one.
When he beats me, I think the PS is rigged. Take a break and come back after a while. This will free your memories of past losses.

Last edited:
B

bempassado

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I find it difficult to find a situation where I would be forced to fold AA, so I understand you were all in with a player and this is more than perfect. Think about it, AA is the strongest hand pre-flop, if you don't go all in with it, which would you go with?

M

mintcoin

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have a hard time folding aces preflop.

deyvsonflp

deyvsonflp

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, you should call given your options are to fold/call/raise. There is still a chance that your cards break, but that’s improbable.
Don't mind the times you lost to AA. What you should keep in mind that paying is the right thing to do. If you don't pay you will be losing money in the long run. Don't be afraid to put the chips on the table. GL

jovan123

jovan123

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is no question about it..ALL IN you have to call ..yes its early and player is definitely looking for a double up as should you so dont even question it...CALL