AA final table. Raise 2.5x all fold. Cutoff on 8 handed table

B

batttkins

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
30/60k blinds I had been a little bit active but not done much pre flop raising. Some players had seen me bluff for min raise post flop/all in on the final three tables etc. I raise 150k into two limpers. All fold. Was this the wrong play? I do usually raise a little higher than that because i usually play in low stakes tournaments, but have not got that much final table experience. This game was for 2000 dollars prize pool 20 dollar buy in. 65 starters.

Should I have played this differently.

Three players to the left of me had been very aggressive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mezzzzzza

Mezzzzzza

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pretty standard buddy i personally raise a little more into 2 limpers especially ones that you perceive to be quite active but nothing wrong here. What was your stack size here if your pretty short stacked 15bb and under then a raise i think looks alot stronger than getting it all in if you shove here probably going to get looked up lighter

B

batttkins

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Ah I was probably 600k or I'm not quite sure. Yeah cheers.

Mezzzzzza

Mezzzzzza

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ye so playing 10bb stack im shoving into 2 limpers and crossing my fingers hoping for a call:top:

Maikychan

Maikychan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't think you've done something wrong, it's that unfortunately sometimes we can't extract value from hands like AA and KK. It's bad when we have a hand like that, we raise and everybody folds, but it's part of poker.

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yea most of the time a JAM looks weaker than an out of the ordinary raise. I'v seen jungleman cates just f*cking JAM his entire stack into the entire table when he has QQ+ It looks to suspicious to min raise or 4x raise. Also when you Jam player instantly get to see your hand and they get a gamble thrill that they enjoy.

copycutpaste

copycutpaste

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I prob would have raised the same...some times nobody has a hand to call with...if you get luck someone has small pair and shoves...

F

fievr

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
30/60k blinds I had been a little bit active but not done much pre flop raising. Some players had seen me bluff for min raise post flop/all in on the final three tables etc. I raise 150k into two limpers. All fold. Was this the wrong play? I do usually raise a little higher than that because i usually play in low stakes tournaments, but have not got that much final table experience. This game was for 2000 dollars prize pool 20 dollar buy in. 65 starters.

It is difficult to give an accurate opinion here, you do not give any information your position or your stack of chips

T

tb87

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would of done the same given the limited information. Imagine if it went the other way and AA got cracked and you doubled someone else up.

C

corieaddison

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a standard play. This also depends on your stack size as you might have done better going all in. if They are aggro then they might still fold seeing that they probably dont have much in their hand on average.

Good Luck!

smknginmaine

smknginmaine

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
2k prize pool with only 65 players@$20 each? Nice overlay!

dedok0525

dedok0525

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is poker.
I have a lot of these situations.
Sometimes over a long time I've ever trash. And my opponent plays a huge amount of chips. But when I come to AA, they drop their hands before the flop.
So unfortunately it happens, but it's part of the game.
Keep playing.

ninjareal

ninjareal

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hi all, yes that is just the luck element , to have maximum luck both players have to have premium hand, they could both have had 23 & 94 junk hands etc so weren't gonna call anything, better to raise AA hard and not get beaten by scrappy hands hitting the flop , AA vs KK and flops a K is better beat than AA limp vs 23 and flops 22J for example , :)

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Two players to the left of me had been very aggressive.

Three players

Just my opinion,in general with 2 limpers in front of me and having around a 10BB stack I will push all-in.
Though, in this case, as you say, you have 3 very aggressive players to your left.
The main question is....were they very aggressive preflop ?
Another question arises....were they just aggressive stealing blinds, or also in limped pots?

No matter what, having 10BB I would never raise 2,5BB.
No matter limpers or not, standard is to shove hoping for at least 1 call.
However, with 3 very aggressive players to your left this might be the perfect scenario for slowplaying your AA, hoping for one of them to raise.

Worst case scenario than will be an unraised multy-way pot where you can even fold in case of a very wet flop.

Flight777sem

Flight777sem

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is really standart play, there is nothing wrong with that.

soliddecor

soliddecor

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
my friend sometimes is better this way. would go to all in. would you loose your hand? remember all you got to the river is rubbish. so today aa flew in 250 monthly. against kх kх won. on the river :bike:got a flash :)

O

Ovinetrix

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Two limpers, Raise 3.5x, 4.5x is great!

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In the final table of a tournament players usually play very tight, so a strong bet implies having a monstrous hand.
In your case, a rise to 2.5x is a standard size in a tournament. Maybe you should ask yourself how was the perception that the table players had about you.
If you weren't active in the last hands, most likely they've signed you as a conservative player, and being at a final table, they had to discard their hand.
Greetings.

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't think its the wrong play however if your image is very loose instead of your standard 2.5x raise, go all-in. It makes you very suspicious because you are a very loose player.

A

AJantwan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Seems reasonable to me. Yes, you want to ask yourself "how could I have made more money of my AA?", but some times you can't. If your opponents don't have the cards to call, there's nothing you can do.

wsbar

wsbar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would particularly play aggressively preflop, as the blinds are already high if I won the pot I would already be satisfied. It is tricky to play with AA, such a strong hand but if you give the enemy an opportunity he can hit a better hand postflop, for this and other reasons I opt for allin if possible preflop.

frost234

frost234

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I would play 4bb and I would hope that anyone will play all-in. You did everything right

azforlife

azforlife

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yea most of the time a JAM looks weaker than an out of the ordinary raise. I'v seen jungleman cates just f*cking JAM his entire stack into the entire table when he has QQ+ It looks to suspicious to min raise or 4x raise. Also when you Jam player instantly get to see your hand and they get a gamble thrill that they enjoy.

Really like your take, never thought about it this way! especially the last part you mentioned. Unfortunately, I've also been on the other hand calling down Allins with QJ vs AA :O

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands Folding in Poker