Was this a good fold?

M

MaxDamage

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I ve been thinking a lot about this hand i played in a 800 EUR tournament lately and i cant figure out if i made the correct laydown or not. Let me sketch the situation:
I have a fairly tight image at the table, i get dealt KK UTG and i have an average stack. I'm first to act and i raise fairly big about 3,5 the big blind, Some dude who s in middle position, reraises me, who s also average and has been playing solid poker all day. My eyes started to twinkle untill the guy on the dealer button (another one with an average stack who hadnt been caught on a bluff yet) 4-betted the pot. My instincts told me to fold, so I did. Was this a correct laydown or not? ( i know the first 3-better had qq cuz he showed them when he folded later on in the hand )

robertocoelho

robertocoelho

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think a good fold two opponents raise after you, shows a lot of strength.

M

MaxDamage

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think a good fold two opponents raise after you, shows a lot of strength.

Well im glad i finally found someone who thinks that was a good fold, because all my friends told me it was a bad laydown and I shoudlve just gone all in and risked my tournament life.

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In your place I would have done as well. All right. In such cases, I can throw out J J.

SBEP

SBEP

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Well if u want comments in the style of "go along to get along" fine, u made a good fold, now for my honest opinion, u made a BAD fold, i agree with all of your friends that told you u made a bad fold, isnt it how you improve in poker by analyzing hands with friends for everyones benefit, so if they all said u made a bad fold, dont you think they might be right :D i would have never fold there in that spot, not with KK, maybe with QQ just mb, but never with KK, so there u have it :D

andyt5303

andyt5303

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I really couldn't find a fold there. Yes you think it's a tight table but KINGS?! Plus just because Mr 4-bet hasn't been caught bluffing doesn't mean he's not bluffing ;)

Yes it's super close but I call personally.

M

MaxDamage

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well if u want comments in the style of "go along to get along" fine, u made a good fold, now for my honest opinion, u made a BAD fold, i agree with all of your friends that told you u made a bad fold, isnt it how you improve in poker by analyzing hands with friends for everyones benefit, so if they all said u made a bad fold, dont you think they might be right :D i would have never fold there in that spot, not with KK, maybe with QQ just mb, but never with KK, so there u have it :D

Well they might have been, but they werent at my table when i was playing. I had been playing with these guys for hours, so I knew how my opponents were playing (my friends didnt) and at the time i just relied on my instincts.

D

dejan85

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
good fold is when you have a good hand type AQ and opponent reraise you and you fold if you think you are weak....

SBEP

SBEP

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Well they might have been, but they werent at my table when i was playing. I had been playing with these guys for hours, so I knew how my opponents were playing (my friends didnt) and at the time i just relied on my instincts.

Well if u think u made the right call in that spot, why ask other poker players on this forum, if u did the right thing??? :D Doesn't that mean that u subconscious think mb just mb u made a bad fold :D

V

vassiriki

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i just couldn't find a way to fold kk's, a lot of respect for you but the probability that he holds aa is 3/143 which equals to %2,09 where the chance of kk against aa is between %17 and 18.5 depending on whether you are dominated or not. so, one can't say it's a bad or a good fold, it's definitely a choice at that position as it is preflop but i just couldn't!

he might have been extremely tight till a certain point but he might also have tried to squeeze you guys knowing you both are also very tight. or he held aces! you never know!

M

MarjoAdalem

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I personally think you should have called I think he probably has an AK or a decent pair but only a small chance he had AA you may lose but still you have a big chance of winning the pot.:)

P

Pablo24A

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that's was a bad fold. Calling is also a bad move, you should go all in and you may be with the better chances of winning the hand

Of course you can lose, but if you don't play Kings, what are your expectatives?

A

antbison

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Aces

I ve been thinking a lot about this hand i played in a 800 EUR tournament lately and i cant figure out if i made the correct laydown or not. Let me sketch the situation:
I have a fairly tight image at the table, i get dealt KK UTG and i have an average stack. I'm first to act and i raise fairly big about 3,5 the big blind, Some dude who s in middle position, reraises me, who s also average and has been playing solid poker all day. My eyes started to twinkle untill the guy on the dealer button (another one with an average stack who hadnt been caught on a bluff yet) 4-betted the pot. My instincts told me to fold, so I did. Was this a correct laydown or not? ( i know the first 3-better had qq cuz he showed them when he folded later on in the hand )
qq kk run into aces in poker it happens to a tight player making that raise its prob a fold 10 percent of the time which means 90 1 outta 10 is a fold question is was it the 10 percent or not

Senneville

Senneville

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
not a good fold. maybe he had pocket king or AK or AA. cannot do a 4 bet without these hand. I never fold KK for sure this is my lucky cards cowboys

SnakeEyeLiarDie

SnakeEyeLiarDie

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd probably never be able to find myself throwing away that hand. The odds anyone has pocket aces is still so small. I personally would have put it all in the center. If he has AA, it's just a cooler. You have the novelty in saying it was just an unlucky predicament. There's really no right or wrong play. I thought throwing it away to a 4-bet was OK.

wildyetty

wildyetty

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
3- way 4 bet pot your gut was right.... not the right time to take it down. with you bet sizing and that get 4 bet congrats dude don't think i couuld have done it.

S

Sobrosa

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would have called, but this is a decision that is often more instinct than theory, it was right for you must have been right.

G

GeorgeF1234

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think i'd fold anything worse than AA or KK, but not those two. The other two players definitely have something as I wouldn't think anyone would try and bluff someone UTG making a large raise.

As Dan Harrington says, (along the lines of) "if someone in a worse position makes a raise larger than what you would have in your better position, it's usually time to fold"

Shumkoolie

Shumkoolie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think a lot of the time the person on the button is making a play, sensing weakness. Sure, Aces will be in their range some of the time, but enough of their range contains hands worse than Kings, so I'm piling here probably most of the time.

J

jerohit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its a good fold if you want to run deep in tourney.. but if you don't take tbis kind of risks then you won't win big..
If you goes all in on 4bet reraise from button then it is possible that player in mid position will fold and you will heads up with player on button.. abd then you have huge chabces of win the pot..

D

Diesss

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Perhaps the problem was your open raise, 3.5 blind raise UTG is way too much in my opinion. Maybe the other players felt like you had a hand not that strong, like AJ, AQ, KQ, 10s, JJs.

KK is super strong in that position, maybe I would have folded AK tough. I would have pushed it right away. I'd rather go holding KK than any pocket pair or Ax later in the tournament.

shomy21

shomy21

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Probably good fold, I think I never folded KK pre flop, but here is just ok to fold.

Folding in Poker