6max or 9max play style

N

nathan66

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello,

Do you play the same way in a 6-table and a 9-table ? I struggle a bit at playing vs 8 opponents. Should I play tighter?

Last edited by a moderator:
Acesinthebig

Acesinthebig

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yes tighter when playing 9 handed. You can open up your range a bit in 6max. Plan on playing more hands. That's just the nature of short handed play.

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
6max and 9max are similar, but 6max doesnt have Utg, Utg1 and MP1.

These 3 positions require you to play 15% or less of hands.

6max also has less antes.

So in 9max you can be looser in the same positions: mp2/HJ/Co/btn/sb than you can in 6max due to larger antes.

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I find 6max tables more challenging because the ranges are not so readable. I think 6 max needs a better understanding of the game and a better skill in opponent reading.

You can apply abc playstyle in a full ring table and be profitable but IMO the same playstyle-same ranges will not take you far in a 6 max. Both table sizes are enjoyable by me :)

S

sibird

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
facts about 6-tables and 9-tables

Playing in 6-tables and 9-tables depends on some facts. If you can understand those facts then you can adjust your game accordingly.
In 6-tables games there are 12 pocket cards distributed and 5 community cards. That means total 17 cards will be used in the game. In other words, about one-third of the deck (52 cards) are used.
In 9-tables game you have 18 pocket cards and 5 community cards making a total of 23 which is about half of the deck.
Now how you will adjust your game depending on these facts? Answer is simple. In 9-tables game you will find more Aces in play than 6-tables games. In 6-tables game if you have an Ace you feel confident but in 9-tables having an Ace also means you would have a competition.
Similarly in 6-tables one pair could be a strong thing but in 9-tables one pair may not be strong enough to fetch you the pot.

N

nathan66

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I enjoy both of them too but I really prefer 6max because in full ring I feel like there will always be someone with a better hand than mine so I play too much tight.

P

pierreb292

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have the same problem. I'm use to play against 5 players. When i'm on a 8 max i'm lost :/

smknginmaine

smknginmaine

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like both. Just understand the differences. If I had to pick just one i prefer 6 max. Especially a good 6 max table. Then again..... I'll take a good 9 max full of fish over a 6 max full of regs any day.

pandaboy

pandaboy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At 6max more cards for play. And 9max you should play less hands.

N

nathan66

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The problem is that on pokerstars most of tournaments are full ring ... That's quite annoying

henriquemaduro

henriquemaduro

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
With only six players at the table you should open ur range

thatguy6793

thatguy6793

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can afford to play tighter in 9max because it takes longer for the blinds to circle around. This means you won't get blinded out as quickly and can be a bit more selective with your hands. 6 max on the other hands needs to have a slightly larger range to avoid being blinded out from the quicker orbits from having 3 less players.

Nathan Smith

Nathan Smith

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
6-max is just more interesting because you get to play more hands. 9-max gets boring because you need to be more selective with your hands UTG.

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In the sits and go 6 players there is less variance, in this mode you have to expand your range of hands, it is easier to study the kind of villains against whom you play, because they are only 5, in this mode, you will quickly be in phase push or fold, and must know the range for this stage because it is very important, online you can find some tables for this phase.

gl:D

copycutpaste

copycutpaste

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes...when playing 9 player table you will/should narrow you hands played...6 max can player a little looser because there are less cards dealt out...When playing cash games I prefer 6 max tables...

tw082

tw082

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i prefer 9 tables when in a tournament where u play till 1 person wins it all, gives me a better chance to rely on skill rather than luck. but in cash tables i prefer 6 easier to calculate percentages.

Ovuvuevuevue

Ovuvuevuevue

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey, I think that in 6max you need to play looser for two reasons. First, the chances that your opponents have a good hand go down, which means your own hand goes up in value most of the time. Second, the blinds come around more often, meaning that you can't sit around waiting for good hands or else you'd get eaten up. That's why I prefer 6max because you can open up more with speculative hands and capitalize on your opponents' mistakes.

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I do not play the same way, I think the 6-max can have a better reading of your opponents, I also think it is a bit complicated by the blind frequencies and I think the game is a bit more aggressive, instead 9max depending If it's turbo or not, you already have a little more opportunity to formulate several strategies

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I prefer to play at 9-max tables. 9-max is good for beginners, who love the neat pace of the game. 6-max is suitable for players who already have experience in the game, are well versed in statistics and are able to adapt to their opponents.
The game at the 6-max table goes faster, more intensively and in a more aggressive style, than at the 9-max table. At a short table, you need to make quick decisions and play a wider range of hands.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the blinds are more spaced on the 9-player tables, On a full ring table, you will have to post 1.5 BB every 10 hands, while on a short handed table, you will post 2.5 BB every 10 hands. This represents a 66% increase, which will greatly influence your game. On a full ring table, players can play a lot less hands without having a direct negative effect on your share of gain or loss.

The more players there are, the more you have to play carefully
It is very important for a player to take into account, in his strategy, the number of his gaming partners present around the table.

the game 6max requires more quality postflop (forcibly you get back more shots). the more the number of opponents will decrease at the table, the more your hand will take value.On a 6-max table, you will have to play way more aggressive while in full ring you can afford to wait and wait for a good hand.

Even though the majority of players have made their debut playing on "full ring" tables (complete table with 9-10 players), most players then tend to opt for 6-max tables.

B

bkzx

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
6max vs 9max

Hello, it really depends on your game.. how much time you have to play Poker is key, because in Cash Games, I would always recommend to play at the Zoom Tables.

6-max format allows you to play a wider range of hands.. but position is still important as if you play in full ring games you may need a different strategy depending if your opponents are playing in one or more tables.

Make a note on all of the players at yor tables so you can remember them every time you enter the game.

Regards,

D

dlam

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Being playing more 6 handed and I been winding my range more Hands like A-10. K-J and even Q10 hold up more valve in short handed but isn’t very good in full ring table

badboydean00

badboydean00

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello,

Do you play the same way in a 6-table and a 9-table ? I struggle a bit at playing vs 8 opponents. Should I play tighter?
i pretty much play the same in 6 or 9 player mode ...but i seem to play less hands in 9 player games:wavey:

RiverIsaBitch

RiverIsaBitch

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Advice plz

6max and 9max are similar, but 6max doesnt have Utg, Utg1 and MP1.

These 3 positions require you to play 15% or less of hands.

6max also has less antes.

So in 9max you can be looser in the same positions: mp2/HJ/Co/btn/sb than you can in 6max due to larger antes.
I get this $1.050 ticket for EPT online, I usually play mostly 9max, but now am undecided should I play a 6max PKO , 5h late reg, 20min levels, 2 day event or 8max PKO, 1.35h late reg, 6min level, 1 day event.
I would appreciate your opinion, which is best to play online?

I never played on this stake level, so am bit scared also :eek: :D :)
so any advice will come handy and really greatly appreciated

ZenGreen

ZenGreen

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
YEa I need some massive help on ranges for 6 max MTTs. I feel im opening every Ax and Kx but then Im getting myself in bad situations. Blinds hit too brutally fast

Im opening a lot of stuff I dont want to be involved with yet you dont have many chances to even get one good card