6 or 9 player tables

giraug

giraug

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When playing tournaments... which table size do youo prefer, 6 or 9 player tables?

And what strategy do you recomend in each table size?

I think that in smaller tables you need to play more agressive and more hands than in 9 player tables. The range of cards that you play in 6 player tables is wider... is that right?

any other advise?

Alex70793

Alex70793

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, you're all right. At short tables, the blind circle is faster, so you need to play more hands to avoid the blinds eating your stack.

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When playing 6 handed tables, you have to play more hands since the blinds come around more. I prefer 9 handed as I try to be more patient.

Alekxandrovi3

Alekxandrovi3

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to play 9 max tables. But sometimes I play 6max. The more people at the table trying to play more aggressive.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I prefer to play against 9 players on an MTT because the game is more tight. I confirm you have to play wider and more aggressive against 6 player. Above all, try to adapt to the playing styles of your opponents and try to target the player who makes too much mistake during the game.

P

praevus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer 9 players tables.

You are right. When you are 6 players table you have be more agressive and your range wider than 9 players table because blinds is faster at 6 players table and its more chance that you win hand.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I prefer tournaments with 9 players at the table. The strategy is very simple, be patient and wait for a good opportunity.

G

gersom

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It all depends on how you play, your strategy ... I prefer 9-player MTT because it's tight ... The blinds take longer!

Aprendiz_Edu

Aprendiz_Edu

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good afternoon.

I prefer table with 9, love MTT, in the initial phase I try to keep focus on the construction of the image, waiting for an opportunity to double my chips, you are right regarding aggressiveness in tables 6 players. gl friend:wavey:

tehb1987

tehb1987

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Without options 9. It really depends on the blinds. And in MTT, the longer you are in the game, the more chances you have to wait for good hands to draw

D

dompoker

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As you say, in short tables there is more action, and you have to be more aggressive, and detect every type of player, and take notes from them.

Branimir84

Branimir84

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
HR
Chips
9 max tables, only because all of my little game theory that I know revolves around that setting.

Though I have noted that many pro poker players enjoy 6 max tables more as just more fun. If you are good and like to play more post flop, then it makes sense.

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
9-max tables is good for beginners, who love the neat pace of the game. The game at the 6-max table goes faster, more intensively and in a more aggressive style. At 6-max tables - it is necessary to quickly make decisions and play a wider range of hands. Therefore, I prefer to play at 9-max tables.

S

Steve Deeble

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I prefer to play 6 player tables less chance to lose to a player with garbage hands.

djasset

djasset

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I literally just jump in whichever has more players registered and adjust accordingly.

deform fedot

deform fedot

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
6 for funs of big combination, - less рlayer, more auts.

foran

foran

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like 9 because the prizes are bigger.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I like the new 8-max tables they have on partypoker.
In my first few years of playing MTT's I always preferred 9-handed tables (same with cash game). Now it doesn't matter much to me. I like them both about the same.
I find on 6-handed tables it's easier to isolate the bad players.

eddy78

eddy78

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always look for 9 players table deep stack with 7 min blinds at least. my strategy is to play top the range hands aggressive but always pot controlling. the advantage in 9 players table is most of the time gonna have 1ou2 big fish that can make your life easier.:dancing2:

P

paulyd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How many tables do pros play if 6 tabling? Can't imagine you can play that many tables at 6 max compared to 9 max. The issue is you cant find much 9 max cash games any more full ring online.

Cam54

Cam54

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How many tables do pros play if 6 tabling? Can't imagine you can play that many tables at 6 max compared to 9 max. The issue is you cant find much 9 max cash games any more full ring online.

I used to prefer a full ring and you have to be able to get by like that in a tournament where the tables stay mostly full online ... but here, in cash games at least, where I play brick and mortar and, it's hard to find a full ring so it it's effectively 6 max anyhow, so this is what I have concentrated on trying to improve upon mostly.

In live tournaments here the tables are 10 seated although they are rarely full, I think they do that for late reg purposes but not entirely sure, although I feel there is less variance playing 9 handed, and probably a much better place to start for newer players .. as someone else mentioned you won't blind off as fast in a full ring, I guess people like the action on a 6 max more ....but I have never seen a shortage of full tables online in a tournament, at least until the tournament goes way deep.

As far as the pros you look at some players like Nathan Williams and he was playing like 24 tables at a time in micro cash games online haha that's kind of insane to me, most I will play without totally sucking, and not being able to keep up is 4 .... of course no pro here : ) that goes for tournaments for me too ... I just can't keep up with more

Last edited:
Sword

Sword

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As for me, I feel more comfortable at the table with 9 players, as the game is more tight, and the draw of stronger hands

D

dregan

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am more inclined to tables with 9 players. My strategy is inclined towards this number of players.

L

levidoff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You wrote it right. This is precisely what distinguishes 6 from 9. In 9, the ranges narrow, in 6 they expand. And also aggressiveness must be shown.

Sword

Sword

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course, without aggression in game to do at all nothing to acquire, passive strangle immediately, so that tide and only tight.