3-Betting Big Stacks

T

Tylor Mendez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was just thinking about this concept...

3-betting Big Stacks in Position... with hands like Axs Kxs and pairs... Yes? It shows them you won't let them run the table over, and also, there is the factor that they don't want to play out of position with mediocre hands that could loose them their stack advantage, so they may just fold...

Thoughts?

X

xy23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well you leave yourself open to exploitation by hoping to exploit them yourself.
What if big stack decides to 4bet you when you're holding a pair? You're obviously gonna be forced to fold when you could've called the initial raise to set mine and saw a flop. You would have positional advantage as well.

Last edited:
sedlacekj

sedlacekj

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was just thinking about this concept...

3-betting Big Stacks in Position... with hands like Axs Kxs and pairs... Yes? It shows them you won't let them run the table over, and also, there is the factor that they don't want to play out of position with mediocre hands that could loose them their stack advantage, so they may just fold...

Thoughts?

I would do this perhaps with AKs, KQs maybe AQs and pairs AA - TT. Otherwise, how do you proceed if you get 4 bet, or jammed?

T

Tylor Mendez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, but the thing is, the fact is that they are not 4 betting if you watch their play and see that they are opening too often with hands like QJo and J-10s ect. They also could have a small pair.

The point is stand up to a big stack bully in position, lol.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Yes, but the thing is, the fact is that they are not 4 betting if you watch their play and see that they are opening too often with hands like QJo and J-10s ect. They also could have a small pair.

The point is stand up to a big stack bully in position, lol.

I agree with you on this. The one thing though you need to be worry of is this is always player dependent. While there are many players who would fold to your 3 bets there are also some players who will also 4 bet, shove or call with some crazy hands too. Also if you start to over use the 3 bet move some smart players can pick up on this as well and put you in a tough situation as well.

M

mavradal

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That usually depends on stakes level, at lower stakes the big stacks will just 4-bet you or go all in if you do that unless they're big stacks playing tight.

Erpherk

Erpherk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like the concept it's not a bad idea if the timing is right. Raising gives you betting lead and players should fold a lot of their range, Even if they call you are in charge as the last raiser and can hit the flop or get a chance to buy it when it's checked to you.

K

kkonicke

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like the concept it's not a bad idea if the timing is right. Raising gives you betting lead and players should fold a lot of their range, Even if they call you are in charge as the last raiser and can hit the flop or get a chance to buy it when it's checked to you.

Raising in position doesn't really give you betting lead anymore. Over the last few months, donk betting is becoming more and more prevalent. Guys aren't simply checking back to the raiser and trapping anymore.

3 betting in position is definitely a useful tool, and you can't only 3bet with premium pairs or AK...otherwise you become exploitable and people will simply fold. You have to mix in other hands as well...some weaker Ax or Kx seems like decent options in position.

Related Betting Guides: CA Betting - AU Betting - UK Betting - SportsBetting Poker - BetStars