2 players before you go all in and you have AK

T

thijsert1

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
hallo pokerplayers,

I have a situation; player 1 on the cut off has 645 money, player 2 on the button has 1230 money and you are in the big blind with AK off, and you have 955 left. They both go all in. The blinds are 30/60. What would be the best thing to do?

Gr.

P

pokrjoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think you can make a case either way. im probably gonna find a fold here depending on the stakes

natsgrampy

natsgrampy

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Seems pretty early in the game.

If this were a reentry I am shipping it.

If no reentry I am folding.

L

LadyCougar

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on how the players are playing. It's early in the game to go out so I tend to be conservative until I see how they're playing. If it's a rebuy I'd go for it.

H

Hemi06

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Stakes? MTT or SNG? Rebuy or Re-entry?

C

cyclone45

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Too early! Fold, fold, fold!

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You're only sitting on 15 BBs and this is decent opportunity to double up. It is possible you could be way behind AA or KK, but you're not in a bad situation against 22-JJ. Even if both players have a pair, you still a 35% chance to win the hand. It's also possible your opponents can have hands like AQ, KJ, KQ, etc that AK beats, giving you a 60% of winning.

I say its worth calling here.

Ducbim

Ducbim

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can watch the same situation on sunday majors replay this week at pokerstars (Sunday million or Sunday Storm). With 15BB you must be too tight to fold AK, even against 2 players. I would fold only I know I'm up against solid players from early positions, from mid to late position I never fold.

mendiolacubicle

mendiolacubicle

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if its early stage of the tournament, its not worth to put all your chips in. The stakes are just too high to put yourself in peril at the early phase, i consider looking for another avenue to spend your tournament chips to.

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In microlimits with 15bb easy call , mostly we will have here around 35% equity....

TomLeach

TomLeach

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Right, we need more info OP. How many runners, how many left? If its a SNG with 6 players left its much different to early stages of an MTT.
How have the other guys been playing? How did he get down to 600 chips? How did you get to your stack level? Table image? etc etc etc

Its folded around to the CO, he jams his 10bb, he could be doing that with K3+, the button is the one you may want to worry about, if he jams here, he's trying to isolate, but if he loses this hes left with 10bb from his 20bb stack. Youre getting 955+645+60+30=1690 or about 1.8/1, so if you call with more than 35% equity, its at minimum a break even call.

assigning CO a: 77+,A7s+,K9s+,QTs+,JTs,ATo+,KTo+,QJo (15%)
and the button a then: 88+,ATs+,KQs,AQo+ (6%)
and you exactly AdKh
You have 35.49% equity in this hand.. Its breakeven.

Its a little different because of the side pots though, so if you think the button is weaker, call more often, if you think the button is stronger, call less often...

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
All this talk about it being early in tournament doesn't make a lot of sense. It doesn't mater what stage of the MTT (if this is for an MTT) is, if you're sitting on 15BBs, you need to factor that into you decision.

15 BBs does not leave you with a lot of options and I believe you're giving up a huge opportunity to triple up up if you fold here. And if you do fold in this situation, what better situation are you expecting to get into with your 15BBs? Yeah, you might get on a nice heater in the next couple of hands, but more than likely, you're folding your hands. Then you'll be down even more BBs, then blinds raise, and now you're sitting on ~10 BBs, now what?

Another thing to think about is that it is early in the MTT with blinds being at 30/60. So, this means you're likely far from the money and so taking this risk and busting out isn't going to affect you that much. Whether you bust out here or on the bubble, you still make $0. (actually down a buy-in). However, if you do take it and win, you've just increased your stack to 45BBs and thats a lot easier to play (more options) than with a short stack.

B

badalhoco345

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It misses some information especially what tournament you refer. But it's too early to pay with AK.

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So many nits in this thread , who want fold AKo 15bb :D

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So many nits in this thread , who want fold AKo 15bb :D
Exactly. And all this talk about it being too early to play AK and they want to fold, giving up a chance to triple up their stack.

When are you going to play AKo and when are you going to get a better situation than this? When you're down to 5BBs and it's too late?

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No matter what, I fold.

As they say, dont fall in love with AK.

TomLeach

TomLeach

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why is everyone so adamant on folding here? Why is no one provided at least a single argument why? My only pet hate about this forum is people give an answer with no explanation, we will not grow as players this way.

The only argument for folding in this potentially +eV situation is that youre on the BB/SB and so you'll have some free hands before you have to pay again. However, during that time, the blinds may go up, or if you even get dealt AA and shove, everyone folds and you pick up 1.5BB.

Unless this is a SNG, this is a call.

DonV73

DonV73

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Definately depends on factors like for example the playing style of those opponents. If at least player 2 plays tight, then I would fold.

P

polda

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would never fold AK in that spot.

M

matiusaa

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK I think it is a standard call. The first guy has only 10 or 11 bb so his push is not scary. Then, the second guy who has 20bb aporx pushes, probably trying to isolate against the first player. You only ahve 16bb so I will call happily with AK

Sil3ntness

Sil3ntness

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm shoving that AK in this spot... if it's AK suited, even better!

PokerFunKid

PokerFunKid

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm probably shoving. But also depends on the structure: hyper? turbo? slow structure?

M

MAX101

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
FOLD,it's not a made hand,I've called this hand heads up and lost to an allin A 2 because he hit the deuce,and with 2 players, I'd be happy staying out of it and letting them take each other out!!!

N

nygmen2007

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That is tough to decide, but in your case I would play because with you having AK it makes it less likely they have kk and aa, you are racing, and in the course of a turnament you have to win races to win..