• Thread starter natelearnspoker
  • Start date
N

natelearnspoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I busted out of a tournament and TLDR; villain had J9o and flopped top two pair. I’m not sure how I would’ve played this differently or if shoving as a 3 bet on the flop would be smart. Also I’ve been getting wrecked by people who flop top two pair fairly often on dry boards so what’s the likelihood of that happening?

Here’s what happened:

UTG (hero): 30BB
UTG +1: 10BB
MP: 20BB
CO: 15BB
BTN (villain): 90BB
SB: 150BB
BB: 50BB

I raise 3x with KJo UTG and action folds to BTN who calls.

Flop comes 3J9 rainbow. Pot is 7.5BB and I bet 3 BB and villain raises 7.5BB. It was 2.5x so I placed villain on a weaker Jx or Ax hand. Going for value, I shove and he calls revealing J9o for two pair.

How often do you outflopped with top pair on a dry board. I wouldn’t mind getting wrecked by trips, losing to random two pairs doesn’t really make sense. I was expecting the button to squeeze with a hand like J9o instead of flatting. I guess I’m a bit frustrated because most of the time, I’m ahead in this spot even out of position.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
why did you think villain was weak because of their 2.5x raise?

how does shoving give you value if you put villain on weaker hand? does a weak jack call a jam? does ace high call? do mid pairs call.

how would villain squeeze if no one called your raise before them?

odds of flopping to pair is 2%. less odds for villain since you had a jack as well.

with an spr of 3.6, getting it in with tpgk is fine. just unlucky to run into better.

A

atcj13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I feel like this is a very borderline raise preflop. We have 3 reshove stacks immediately behind. By raising to 3bb we are pot committed against UTG+1, and best case scenario are racing. We can't call a 3 bet by anyone else and the deeper stacks can definitely put a lot of pressure on us.
As for post flop, it's an unlucky run out. I don't really fault you for getting it in here. I see people at these stakes on the button calling it off with QJ and J10.