Misaki

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is a standard play, it has nothing strange or special

disagree.

First of all A5s is a fold preflop or shove. Most likely fold preflop on those freerolls. Never call it pre because opener stack is 15bbs so I don't know what do you want to hit with your A5s postflop to win a hand postflop. Doesn't make any sense at all. You are dominated to better aces which people open on early positions and you don't have a stack to play postflop to hit your flush or wheel.

2nd thing AJo again is a fold preflop or shove. Based on situation and his stacks+ probably some kind of fold equity against pfr I would just shove. Too many dead money in a pot right now.

As played:
A5 is just a check/call on flop or even check/fold flop because you played your hand pretty bad preflop so you shouldn't be there. But from what hand do you want to get a value? As above, you get called from better aces.Of course there are still could be some combos of KJ, KT because it's a freeroll but you get maximum one street of value from those hands so it's better to give someone a chance to bluff at least to get 2 streets.

About AJ if he called preflop. I would just call turn. I wouldn't shove it. It's like saying: hey, Ive got trips of aces. No draws so you can't represent any bluffs so I would just call turn and give my villain chance to bluff. As field is bad so he won't fold on river any ace anyway, but you still keep some potential bluffs in his range.

so.. nothing is standard there. Both of them played it pretty bad.

edit: and about your question about call his allin. You invested so small because of your bad bet sizings so I would just fold turn. He just never bluff there, because there is nothing to bluff. That's why his allin is bad.

Last edited:
I

Ivan Zaruba

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bad call, except that a player who went all-in are often bluffing. And then, he could already have a fullhouse.

1sunchin

1sunchin

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
disagree.

First of all A5s is a fold preflop or shove. Most likely fold preflop on those freerolls. Never call it pre because opener stack is 15bbs so I don't know what do you want to hit with your A5s postflop to win a hand postflop. Doesn't make any sense at all. You are dominated to better aces which people open on early positions and you don't have a stack to play postflop to hit your flush or wheel.

2nd thing AJo again is a fold preflop or shove. Based on situation and his stacks+ probably some kind of fold equity against pfr I would just shove. Too many dead money in a pot right now.

As played:
A5 is just a check/call on flop or even check/fold flop because you played your hand pretty bad preflop so you shouldn't be there. But from what hand do you want to get a value? As above, you get called from better aces.Of course there are still could be some combos of KJ, KT because it's a freeroll but you get maximum one street of value from those hands so it's better to give someone a chance to bluff at least to get 2 streets.

About AJ if he called preflop. I would just call turn. I wouldn't shove it. It's like saying: hey, Ive got trips of aces. No draws so you can't represent any bluffs so I would just call turn and give my villain chance to bluff. As field is bad so he won't fold on river any ace anyway, but you still keep some potential bluffs in his range.

so.. nothing is standard there. Both of them played it pretty bad.

edit: and about your question about call his allin. You invested so small because of your bad bet sizings so I would just fold turn. He just never bluff there, because there is nothing to bluff. That's why his allin is bad.
Thanks. Good analize.

TheNutz4You

TheNutz4You

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
vs a UTG open off 15bb or so, I am likely just folding A5s, flatting imo is the worst of the options, BUT depending on player type, I like a 3bet more than a jam for 30bb effective(button has same stack as you, still to act). You could 3bet to say 6 or 6.5bb and easily fold if the button 4bets you, and either take down the dead money if he folds, or play post flop with an uncapped strong range in position. It would be a disaster if you 3bet jammed 30bb and the button wakes up with QQ+ AK maybe even AQs and snaps you off. If you 3bet, you can still get away from the hand fairly cheap.

If the utg player is tight and or a nit, i'm folding without a second thought as if you think about it, he is opening UTG (strong range) off of a 15bb stack (filled with Ax type hands that dominate your A5).

If the UTG player is a loose fish playing 45/20/2 type stats and opens something ridiculous like 25-30% from utg/EP, and has a reasonable fold to 3bet stat, then I like a 3bet.

So I rank folding 1st, 3betting to 6.5ish BB 2nd, jamming 30bb 3rd and flatting 4th.

Now on the turn is an easy fold to the jam. You are never ahead and best case drawing to a 3 outer with a five. They will almost always roll over an Ace with a better kicker or AQ/77.

Misaki

Misaki

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like a 3bet more than a jam for 30bb effective(button has same stack as you, still to act).

I wouldn't be happy to invest like 1/5 of my stack to 3bet/fold with A5s. Especially with weak players in freeroll where people like to call a lot. And what worse cold calling to our 3bets. Playing postflop with such a small big blinds amount with a5s isn't best option. Kicker here matters and on small amount chips a6s> a5s. That's a problem. So I would prefer to just shove and maximize my fold equity than 3bet. But still best option here is just fold.