180 mans profitable?

L

Liam jordan

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I have played poker for years but never had the money to roll it properly. I've decided to try and work my way up and play the micros. I've only played 150-200 games of $2.50 180 SNGs and I am up $20, which I know is a bad ROI per tournament. They seem to be beatable but very heavily weighted to the top 4 payouts. I recently cashed 8 in a row but all min cashes which is $0.16 above what you buy in for. A 9th position finish which involves a deep and lucky run gets you $6 which is 2.5 buyins. So basically my question is with these payouts are they a good choice to bankroll because without having a top 4 the profit margin is awful. I was lucky and won one within my first 10 buy ins, without that win I would now be down almost 40 Buyins. I know this is a small sample size but was just wondering what people's opinions were on a roll below $300. Cheers.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
firstly 200 games is nothing. come back when you have 1-2k games. 1 top 3 finish and you are suddenly 120 up and looking great.

Second they should still be beatable, but gone are the days of 50-100% ROIs in these games, they are and will continue to be reg infested. So back 4-5 years ago this format was easily the most profitable, now it still is very profitable (assuming here) but there are way more regs to contend with, so the variance is much much greater as edges diminish.

You really need a very solid roll to be serious playing these, i would say 200 buyins to be safe depending on your skill level.

W

worf1st

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In SNG180 there is a constant "staff turnover" - the strongest regulars will inevitably become the largest MTT-tournaments, and new players interested SNG180 these games, take their place.
In 2016, SNG180 tournaments are quite passable. Perhaps they are not as "sweet" as 3 years ago, but still 100+ recreational players in each tournament creates an excellent opportunity to build your bankroll. These games SNG180 can be a good stepping stone on your way to success in poker tournaments or the ability to recover in the event of a bankroll losing streak in games with higher buy-ins.

L

Liam jordan

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Cheers, I know I don't have many games to go off, maybe I'm just being too critical and another day the min cashes will be top 3 if I win the flips at late stages. It's not so much the quality of the average player that's my concern, they are defiantly beatable in terms of players, but the fact that 9th place only pays just over 2 buy ins. I feel you need top 4 to reap the rewards of a deep run. I'll continue to grind them and see what happens.

A

avderevo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course the main money in sng is made in at least in a top 5. There can be big sags of buyin, but if to win at least 1 tournament, then it is possible to beat off all minus. In tournaments to $5 as a rule there are a lot of weak players. So there it is possible to play plus if you more or less strong player

K

kapos77

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
UA
Chips
played before in the conventional CNG 180 for $ 3.5 a lot of weak players) on limits visshe 5 already strong players, but there is weak enough)