thehangdude

thehangdude

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I have been solely focused on freerolls and improving my game for the last 4 months. I have $260+ saved up from these freerolls, and am looking for a good tournament to break my cherry in.

Should I go for broke on a five hour late registration game that currently pays first $25,000?
Or should I go with a $15+1.50 $50,000 GTD with four hour LR and much fewer players?
Or maybe an $8+.80 with $4000 GTD and a 2 hour LR?

All three start today around the same time. Suggestions?

N

neart13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Personally I'd do the 8 euro one and allow myself maybe 3/4 bullets!

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So you managed to build up a small bankroll playing freerolls. That is great! But why not then manage it properly? With 260$ you can put the freerolls behind you and start grinding 2-3$ MTTs for somewhat more serious money. Then when you have 500$, you can add in 5$ MTTs etc. If you burn it up on 16$+ MTTs, its quickly gone, and you are back to the freerolls again. Of course if you want to play a single event, and its not for the entire amount, then whatever. You could also just pay that out of pocket, it does not matter.

thehangdude

thehangdude

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
So you managed to build up a small bankroll playing freerolls. That is great! But why not then manage it properly? With 260$ you can put the freerolls behind you and start grinding 2-3$ MTTs for somewhat more serious money. Then when you have 500$, you can add in 5$ MTTs etc. If you burn it up on 16$+ MTTs, its quickly gone, and you are back to the freerolls again. Of course if you want to play a single event, and its not for the entire amount, then whatever. You could also just pay that out of pocket, it does not matter.
I still plan on continuing the CC freerolls. I made $136 last month!

I just wanted a nice big game to start my journey into buy in. I played the $8 game and lost right at the end of rebuy. I didn't rebuy. It was two hours of fun, and where can you get that for $8 now-a-days? I prefer under two hour late registration though.

I will typically play $2-3 mtt from here on out (along with the CC freeroll). I figure if I can win one before I run out of money, I'll be good.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sounds like a good plan. And the CC freerolls can totally make sense as a supplement to 2-3$ MTTs. On pokerstars it is typically 200 people competing for 100$, and if you make significantly more than 50c per tournament in 2-3$ events, then you are really crushing it. If nothing else the freerolls are risk free and add some cushion to the bankroll during downswings.

madbeeet

madbeeet

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would advise you to follow the rules of bankroll management for any choice

swerdnase

swerdnase

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I mean, if its just for kicks, fully understand the risk, and are willing to grind back up again, then sure, take a shot. Just know that the play at $15 is vastly different than the $8 level though.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I still plan on continuing the CC freerolls. I made $136 last month!

I just wanted a nice big game to start my journey into buy in. I played the $8 game and lost right at the end of rebuy. I didn't rebuy. It was two hours of fun, and where can you get that for $8 now-a-days? I prefer under two hour late registration though.

I will typically play $2-3 mtt from here on out (along with the CC freeroll). I figure if I can win one before I run out of money, I'll be good.

You will definitely win one before all is done based on the play I have seen from you. For your question in the thread, I would personally not go for broke (I am thinking you mean get in a $200+ buy in tourney) but instead try $6-$15 tourneys. That way you have multiple shots and wont play scared as you might in 1 big tournament. In the end it comes down to how you feel and it is a decision only you can make but no reason not to manage the winnings properly. Yes, there will be more freeroll winnings for you to come for sure but that is no reason to not manage what you have. Any choice you make, good luck on it and keep us all posted on how you do.