less than 100 from the $

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
66s(uited)?

i like jamming in this spot. it might be a bit of a loose jam, but i think 66 is good enough to get it in pre with. i could open with the intent of calling a jam, but that just takes away my fold equity and 66 isn't a hand i'd choose to set up like that. plus, if i just open and get multiple flat, i'm in a weird check/fold spot oop if i don't hit a set, and with 14.5 bbs, i want to avoid situations where i'd be put in tough spot and have to fold.

even if i jam and i get called, i'm not in a terrible position. i could easily get called by 77+, but that's going to happen whether i jam or open/call jam anyways, and i don't mind taking a flip in this spot for 14.5 bbs. even against a 6.3% range of a10s+, ajo+, jj+, kjs+, 66 has 43.6% equity, which is plenty to try and double up with.

as i said, it's a bit of a loose jam but i'm happy taking a bit of risk in this spot to double up and i'm not hating it if i get called. i can also see arguments for just limping in to try and see a cheap flop. or opening, then calling/folding a raise, depending on villain. those are probably the more safer options and are perfectly fine as well but i prefer the loose/risky approach when i play mtts as a short stack.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
how would you play pair of sixes UTG with less than 15bb stack

less than 100 from the $

Unfortunately that strong hand is a fold UTG.

You are just asking the table if you have the best hand.

Anybody calling has 2 overs or has you dominated with a bigger pair.

Only a giant stack may call with 44 if no one else had.

Good luck !

ssangyongpoker

ssangyongpoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
we jam and button calls with QQs :D
66s(uited)?

i like jamming in this spot. it might be a bit of a loose jam, but i think 66 is good enough to get it in pre with. i could open with the intent of calling a jam, but that just takes away my fold equity and 66 isn't a hand i'd choose to set up like that. plus, if i just open and get multiple flat, i'm in a weird check/fold spot oop if i don't hit a set, and with 14.5 bbs, i want to avoid situations where i'd be put in tough spot and have to fold.

even if i jam and i get called, i'm not in a terrible position. i could easily get called by 77+, but that's going to happen whether i jam or open/call jam anyways, and i don't mind taking a flip in this spot for 14.5 bbs. even against a 6.3% range of a10s+, ajo+, jj+, kjs+, 66 has 43.6% equity, which is plenty to try and double up with.

as i said, it's a bit of a loose jam but i'm happy taking a bit of risk in this spot to double up and i'm not hating it if i get called. i can also see arguments for just limping in to try and see a cheap flop. or opening, then calling/folding a raise, depending on villain. those are probably the more safer options and are perfectly fine as well but i prefer the loose/risky approach when i play mtts as a short stack.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
we jam and button calls with QQs :D
in a situation like this, i like to type 'whoops' into the chat.

unfortunate to run into a big hand but i still don't mind jamming in this spot. i think an argument for folding/calling/jamming in this spot can be made and all make solid points, so it just depends on you as a player and what you feel most comfortable with.

i do play a bit looser as i only play for fun, so my approach may be a bit different compared to someone playing seriously. for all i know, this could be a complete -ev jam 100% of the time and i'm just giving you really bad advice. but, as a fun, casual player, i look at it as "ehh, short stacked and 66 is good enough. lets gamble." and am willing to get it in.

nghoffman

nghoffman

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If you're on a tight table, go all-in. Otherwise, probably just fold.

O

Oxinthewater

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
More than likely a fold for me, it's a really awkward spot.

Jamming is risky because there's a good chance that a caller will either have a overpair or at best 2 overcards for a coin flip.

I'm probably on my own here, but if it was a tentative table and I thought there was a decent chance of being able to limp or maybe only have to go up to 2.5x, then I might try and limp a flop and hope to get a set. The SPR wouldn't be there for 2.5x , but with only several circuits of blinds left I might be willing to take that chance.

ssangyongpoker

ssangyongpoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
According to Wikipedia, the probability of being dealt any pocket pair as the starting hand is ~6% (78/1326=0.0588), but yet the probability of facing another player holding a larger pair when holding a pocket pair yourself in pre-flop is significantly high especially when you're playing with 6 or more players
in a situation like this, i like to type 'whoops' into the chat.

unfortunate to run into a big hand but i still don't mind jamming in this spot. i think an argument for folding/calling/jamming in this spot can be made and all make solid points, so it just depends on you as a player and what you feel most comfortable with.

i do play a bit looser as i only play for fun, so my approach may be a bit different compared to someone playing seriously. for all i know, this could be a complete -ev jam 100% of the time and i'm just giving you really bad advice. but, as a fun, casual player, i look at it as "ehh, short stacked and 66 is good enough. lets gamble." and am willing to get it in.

roger perkins

roger perkins

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If the table is not very aggressive I might just limp if I think I can see the flop. If the table has some preflop raisers then I probably fold. 66 at best is probably a flip at worst dominated by an over pair. Depending on how the table is playing and my table image I would only shove if I thought I would take it down preflop. I dont like to risk my tournament life on a flip in that situation.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
According to Wikipedia, the probability of being dealt any pocket pair as the starting hand is ~6% (78/1326=0.0588), but yet the probability of facing another player holding a larger pair when holding a pocket pair yourself in pre-flop is significantly high especially when you're playing with 6 or more players
yep. so, folding/limping/raising/jamming are all decent plays, depending on table and image. i dont think you could go wrong with either option.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends, how many players are left to act behind you. Being "UTG" says nothing it itself, the important is, how many players might wake up with a better hand behind you. It also depend on their stack sizes. If someone is sitting with 3-5BB, he is almost like an empty seat, since he can not threaten your stack.

If there are 6-8 players left to act behind you, and everyone has a meaningfull stack, then I just fold 66 and wait for a better spot. If its less, then I will generally open jam it and hope, everyone folds, or that I get called by overcards and not a better pair. If everyone else have you covered, and there are no calling stations on the table, you can also use a mini-raising strategy with your entire range, when you have 15BB.

k0dka

k0dka

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me it is mostly a fold in this spot, or in some cases limp with the intention of calling a smaller stack jam. Very rarely would I have enough fold equity to open shove.

Alex_Ogienko

Alex_Ogienko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in 90% of cases it is a fold. 5% call and 5% push, depending on the table and stacks of other players.

Luan

Luan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
if everyone before me doubles me every day pre-flop to steal chips and try to stretch my stacks. now you have a bet from me and just foldable and would expect a good hand!

D

DancingNancie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have been jamming hands like 33-77 in this spot more frequently to poor results. This spot is a bit more tricky and I think I need to fold more often in this spot. The best we are hoping for is a race if we are called. Often times we are only getting called by a better hand at an 80-20 deficit.

thehangdude

thehangdude

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
If it is an 8-9 seated table, probably fold. If it is a 6 seat table, probably jam. If either table has large stacks that are calling stations, probably just fold. You don't want callers when short stacked with 66.

FYI, at a 9 player table, there is a 27+% chance someone has a higher pair (dominated) when you have 66. At a 6 player table, that percentage drops to 18.

Daniel72

Daniel72

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i think it is a push with this stack, but any higher stack I would fold the hand 66 UTG
Sometimes hands like 77, 88 or 99 would fold vs. our push and thats a good thing...