Can you still learn poker at older age ?

5pAce_C0wb0y

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm approaching retirement and I'm looking for a new hobby. So started from zero couple weeks ago in learning pokerskills. I'm curious if it's still possible to learn the game.
Any comments ?

Yes you can still learn the game and will probably get a lot of enjoyment out of it.

Pimp 007 x

Pimp 007 x

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm going to be frank with you, poker really isn't that hard to learn. Getting to know the hand ranking (pair, trips, straights, flushes...) is the very first thing you have to learn, to know which hand beats what.

Poker is all about patience and knowing when to bet big.

I would suggest that you search for basic poker tutorials.

Good luck!

Inequitas

Inequitas

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
They say "You Can't teach an Old Dog new tricks"... It's a Good Job Those who play Poker (Humans) Aren't Old Dogs... lol

It's Easy... You'll have more time for it also which will help...

Good Luck!

J

James24543

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its easy to learn the game and this forum will provide you with a lot of useful insight about playing strategies.

kostas1234

kostas1234

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes you can ofcourse you can learn if you know how to read and play safe , don't get exited fast with game it is very dificult to learn it as easy as it looks , good luck

Ranish625

Ranish625

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm approaching retirement and I'm looking for a new hobby. So started from zero couple weeks ago in learning pokerskills. I'm curious if it's still possible to learn the game.
Any comments ?

Of course you can, never too late to learn, I do not see any problems, age in poker does not matter.

najjah166

najjah166

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
of course you can learn and even become a good player, age has nothing to do with learning poker, because if you learn and you love the games, all the ingredients, fun and spend time is wonderful, I'm 63, although I play for several years, I learn every day

E

elias444

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, you can; just take your time and try to learn and read as much as you can..!
I suggest you should also practice with play money at some of those poker-sites; but, try to take the games seriously so when you play for real money then at least, you are ahead of the game.. Good Luck..!
:cool::D

S

spottedflyer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sure u can still learn, a man learns while he lives :) im guessing poker is just the thing for u with ur free time, experience and wisdom :)

This Fish Chums

This Fish Chums

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Doyle Brunson once said, "We don't stop playing poker because we get old, we get old because we stop playing poker." I actually think you may have an advantage over the young bucks in that if you're in a goo enough spot to retire you must have some kind of money management skills. Look up Bankroll Management and you'll do just fine, even while just starting out because it builds in the ability to lose and still maintain a healthy bankroll. You go up and down the stakes as you win or lose so you level at your own pace.

I say give it a few weeks to a month just to see if it's enjoyable to you. If it is, then it's definitely worth your it, especially if you've got the time and a little bit of money to invest. Of course, there's also freerolls if you're not able to deposit. However you go about it, know there will be ups and downs and they can last for stretches at a time. Days or a week or more without a winning session. Just ride it out, study and you'll get there.

WhiskeyFix

WhiskeyFix

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Absolutely [emoji4] never too late to learn!

Make sure you watch some pros to see how they play hands, when they play hands, betting ranges, hand positioning etc.

The pokerstars school is great to run for someone just learning to play

A

azoppina609

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What kind of question is this? Can you learn anything at your age? Do you have any memory problems or problems completing simple tasks? Do you have trouble moving cards? If you answered yes, you may or may not have a problem learning poker...:icon_king

A

azoppina609

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh and congrats on your retirement!!!!

57noona

57noona

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Any comments ?

You never stop learning in Poker. One can always learn something new while playing. Age doesn't matter in poker. That's the best part about the game. So yes you can learn how to win at poker. Just remember that you can never learn enough from this game. It's a fun hobby to have and hope you enjoy it as much as you can.

MikeCarasone

MikeCarasone

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are many learning tools available to develop into a skilled poker player. Age is certainly not going to stop anyone from learning if they put in some table time and study time. Endurance may be less than a young person but as long as you want to learn it’s possible. Good luck in retirement and poker.

D

duson

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think age has a lot to do with learning poker it but time investment does. The more time you're able to devote to playing and studying the faster you'll be able to progress as a player.

P

praevus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes you can learn poker, maybe somethings will be harder than to another person but somethings will be easier.
I think that age is not important, but your way of life before start learn/play poker can influence, if you worked with something chaotic, maybe you'll take a little longer to get used. If you worked with something more quiet and thinking, this can help you.

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Any comments ?

As long as you have some interest in learning, the game comes to you pretty fast along with basic skills. Its getting better at the game that takes time.

N

nellorossi83

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
of course. you can learn how much you wanna learn. Basic poker you must be playing by now... if you wanna a hobby and not be a pro poker player you dont need much more...

orchidra

orchidra

Allan with two Owls
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
Welcome to Cardschat. You are at the right place to learn. If you have any questions or problems re poker, just ask.

As for age, you are never too old to learn. I'm 71 and still learning.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Any comments ?

100% possible....

But, age means slower and tire quicker mentally and physically - this is ok - just pay attention to when your fatigue affects your play.

Being a newbie to poker your thinking may seem slow compared to players who have been playing for 5+ years and know their flush is good and they know that you have a straight and in 2.2 seconds can make the perfect bet that you will call....some of them may seem like magicians.

Don't let magicians get you down.....just avoid them! Really....lol

I always suggest to be clear to yourself about why you are playing poker as a hobby.....to be social? to be competitive? to feel the adrenaline of gambling? etc. etc.

Just make sure you get what you want out of it and enjoy !

Good luck !

rafa77777

rafa77777

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hello, why not ?! In my opinion, poker is just a game for the patient, and who is more patient than the older people, that's right, no one ..)

F

filsoum

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for all the supporting comments. I'm happy I found this board where I already learned a lot .

bbennie1

bbennie1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Make sure when you start playing poker you don't put any of your own money in first. Play money and freerolls is where you should start. Take it step by step. It takes time and experience just like anything else. And a lot of patience!