Can You Relate To My Bankroll Craziness??

S

stil370

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Before today, I had been on a nice winning streak and had won 10x my original deposit of $40.

But then this happens; Im playing 6 max cash at 50NL (if i were really sticking to good bankroll management, I shouldn't be playing higher than 25NL), anyway Im dealt everybody's favorite hand AA. At this point Im up $15 or so. I proceed to go all in with 2 pairs, villain has a set of 3's and my hard earned $65 is gone.

I then proceed to quickly try getting my money back and move up to $100NL. I quickly win about $30 and just as quickly I lose the $30 back, which of course doesnt make me very happy.

And then what to I do? I just do what I have done many times before, I move up again to $200NL. Luckily (this time anyway), i won a nice pot and got back to even.

BUT, my point is, I could have easily lost that $200 buy in and that bankroll that had taken me like a week to earn would have been reversed form $410 to $180 in just 90 minutes. So that my fellow forum members is my history of crazy poker roller coaster rides.

Hopefully, I will get better at bankroll management.

Cheers!

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Before today, I had been on a nice winning streak and had won 10x my original deposit of $40.

But then this happens; Im playing 6 max cash at 50NL (if i were really sticking to good bankroll management, I shouldn't be playing higher than 25NL), anyway Im dealt everybody's favorite hand AA. At this point Im up $15 or so. I proceed to go all in with 2 pairs, villain has a set of 3's and my hard earned $65 is gone.

I then proceed to quickly try getting my money back and move up to $100NL. I quickly win about $30 and just as quickly I lose the $30 back, which of course doesnt make me very happy.

And then what to I do? I just do what I have done many times before, I move up again to $200NL. Luckily (this time anyway), i won a nice pot and got back to even.

BUT, my point is, I could have easily lost that $200 buy in and that bankroll that had taken me like a week to earn would have been reversed form $410 to $180 in just 90 minutes. So that my fellow forum members is my history of crazy poker roller coaster rides.

Hopefully, I will get better at bankroll management.

Cheers!

Long-term, this probably wouldn't work out well for anyone. However, your story is very relatable and likely a lot more common than you think.

Pros usually do the opposite though. When losing, they switch down to a LOWER buy-in or even take a break from poker all together. Yeah, this probably won't win back what you lost the same day, but it prevents losing a lot in tilt.

As you say (and similar success others have short-term with this too), it probably isn't a good idea because you very well might have lost at the higher buy-in and dug yourself even deeper.

I think we both know strict bankroll management is "correct", but following it is sometimes easier said than done.

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
gambling term,,,,it's called "chasing your loses",,,,eventually you will lose your shirt playing this way,,,,happens every day. :lollypop:

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think almost every poker player already played above their bankroll limits at least one time in their lives, but the problem of this behavior is that the chances of doing this again is high. I'm saying this because I already did the same thing a couple of times..lol
And I had to learn the hard way that money that comes easy, go easy too and the only way to be successful is to follow bankroll management.

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Stick to the sweet spot where you are comfortable, and try to mix in some MTT's/SnG's. This is another way to build it back and expand your knowledge of play.

S

stil370

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Long-term, this probably wouldn't work out well for anyone. However, your story is very relatable and likely a lot more common than you think.

Pros usually do the opposite though. When losing, they switch down to a LOWER buy-in or even take a break from poker all together. Yeah, this probably won't win back what you lost the same day, but it prevents losing a lot in tilt.

As you say (and similar success others have short-term with this too), it probably isn't a good idea because you very well might have lost at the higher buy-in and dug yourself even deeper.

I think we both know strict bankroll management is "correct", but following it is sometimes easier said than done.

Thanks for your feedback Phoenix, I appreciate it. I am working hard on bankroll management. One thing that i have found that works for me is to ask the poker site to not permit me too play for a specified period of time. That has actually helped alot. sometimes I feel like I can be on tilt for days on end.

S

stil370

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Gambling term,,,,it's called "chasing your loses",,,,eventually you will lose your shirt playing this way,,,,happens every day. :lollypop:

True that. Am working on cashing out while I am ahead.

S

stil370

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think almost every poker player already played above their bankroll limits at least one time in their lives, but the problem of this behavior is that the chances of doing this again is high. I'm saying this because I already did the same thing a couple of times..lol
And I had to learn the hard way that money that comes easy, go easy too and the only way to be successful is to follow bankroll management.

Thanks Cooking. I really have put alot of effort in recently to not let these kinds of things happen again. So far so good but its only been a month.

S

stil370

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Stick to the sweet spot where you are comfortable, and try to mix in some MTT's/SnG's. This is another way to build it back and expand your knowledge of play.

Thanks dude, I like the idea of the SNG.

Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management