Worst hand theory

Tbone461

Tbone461

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Has anyone out there ever tried to play a whole tournament using a worst hand strategy? In recent days I've taken more than a few bad beats with my opponent holding terrible starting hands. Is this a thing? If so how much success have you had?

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
You'll need to explain a bit better what you mean. Do you mean tried to play a tourney with bad hands? Depending on the stakes level and the stack sizes of involved players, it can make sense for players to play any two.

YungWan

YungWan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's an interesting theory that I have experimented with many times on the Play Money tables (going all in with any 2 cards). Let's just say it was not very profitable! :D

I totally understand what you mean though. It's very frustrating for me when I get it in good against my opponents but end up losing the hand. Conversely, from my experience, the best feeling in poker is when you get it in bad but end up sucking out! Those times really make me feel alive! :icon_chee

H

HaroldHouse

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Im thinking of trying it on 888s freebuy satellite tourneys. Ive gotten drawn out on with so many K6 or 84 type hands. I just havent devised a good enough strategy. You cant play every one or youll lose quickly. Maybe only call when there are 2 or more all ins in front? LOL! Its kinda crazy to think that way, but it is so common to lose to these hands in those tournaments. If you do it let me know the results.

Tbone461

Tbone461

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Im thinking of trying it on 888s freebuy satellite tourneys. Ive gotten drawn out on with so many K6 or 84 type hands. I just havent devised a good enough strategy. You cant play every one or youll lose quickly. Maybe only call when there are 2 or more all ins in front? LOL! Its kinda crazy to think that way, but it is so common to lose to these hands in those tournaments. If you do it let me know the results.

I will. I'm thinking about trying it in a few 10 dollar freerolls om ACR. I've also noticed a tendency that players with more chips seam to win more flips.

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
You will need a lot of luck.

Yanko57

Yanko57

Community Guide
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Simply no. Don't change your play based on bad beats. Good hands will always win in the long run.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Good hands will win more in the long run, but in freerolls you are looking to win the most chips fastest in short term..
because otherwise the freeroll is not worth your while (most freerolls with a large number of players, over 1000).

qRock

qRock

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don’t think they dump good hands. I would call it Any two strategy. Of course, sometimes you can win with it, but it will be much more rare. This can be used at the beginning of a minor freeroll to quickly build up a stack.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
It is absolutely necessary in most freerolls in the turbo or super turbo format, if you want a shot at any of the significant prizes. If you like crumbs, play TAG.

Nintendo

Nintendo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I will see a lot of cheap flops with crap cards sometimes early in the game.

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It seems to play a tournament, playing bad bad idea. Any pair reduces the chances of winning

Vfranks

Vfranks

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Everyone is going to get lucky once in a while, even if it seems like all the time it really isn't. If people didn't win with crap then there wouldn't be any fish around :). If you really want to you could join a freeroll and play "the bad strategy" and see how it does for yourself, but I think a good strategy will work better in the long run.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Only do this for fun - if you are serious about wanting to win it is a losing strategy. :)

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands