Which book has helped you the most

X

xacap888

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello everyone. I just decided to read books about texas hold em no limit tournament strategy. Please advice your best 3.

F

fernando21

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello
Here I leave you some that I have been able to read and I found them quite useful

Harrington on hold em (all vol)
Let there be range! by Cole South & Tri Nguyen
Hole Card Confessions by Owen Gaines

but nowadays I would recommend that you watch classes online. There are many more practical ways to learn with visual examples much more fun and time saving.

gupiel0k69

gupiel0k69

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
Yeah the first book i've read about tournament poker was "Harrington on Hold'em" Vol.1 and even though it is an old book and i think a lot of people would say it's useless for todays games, i would say it's fundamentals are still very applicable. I'm recommending this book to everyone who wants to start playing tournament poker.

BenImortal

BenImortal

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Great topic! I will have a look on "Harrington on hold em" as it has been mention twice. Thanks!

rdwr33

rdwr33

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
hi. Confirming indications, Harrington on Hold ‘em poker books, from experience, details of his life in poker, strategies of the most infinite. very easy to understand your ideas. excellent reading.

W

wizcup

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello
Here I leave you some that I have been able to read and I found them quite useful

Harrington on hold em (all vol)
Let there be range! by Cole South & Tri Nguyen
Hole Card Confessions by Owen Gaines

but nowadays I would recommend that you watch classes online. There are many more practical ways to learn with visual examples much more fun and time saving.

Yeah the first book i've read about tournament poker was "Harrington on Hold'em" Vol.1 and even though it is an old book and i think a lot of people would say it's useless for todays games, i would say it's fundamentals are still very applicable. I'm recommending this book to everyone who wants to start playing tournament poker.

hi. Confirming indications, Harrington on Hold ‘em poker books, from experience, details of his life in poker, strategies of the most infinite. very easy to understand your ideas. excellent reading.

Hi guys, as you all recommend Harrington on Hold'em, I have a question for you all. What do you think the difference between his book and current day of poker? Is it about play style, bet sizing, or what?

Please give us (me and OP) insight about it. So, I will at least remembering about the difference when reading the book and have some thought when reading it.

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I have many good books but Super System (I and II) is the one that helps me much. For me it's the best.

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wich book helps you most

Books have lost their charm. Better to watch poker stims from poker stars and other streamers. Play more and analyze your game.

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Which Book Helps You Most?

Hello. I have found that books by Sklansky have helped. "The Theory of Poker". is a well known book and easy read.

Good luck with your games!
Dan'O

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hello. I have found that books by Sklansky have helped. "The Theory of Poker". is a well known book and easy read.

Good luck with your games!
Dan'O
Yes you're right. David Sklansky is a doctor of poker. I have some of his books and "The Theory of Poker" is one of the best.

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
I can recommend you a good book:
The Easy Game - Andrew Seidman.
I think this book will be useful for you.
Good luck.

TerryBLE

TerryBLE

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Honestly I don’t read much (I’m trying) but whenever someone asks about the theme Doyle Brunson's Super System I and II it's over there,would start with them

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Honestly I don’t read much (I’m trying) but whenever someone asks about the theme Doyle Brunson's Super System I and II it's over there,would start with them
These books are very good because Bunson teaches all poker rules, not only NL.

M

mara2259

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello everyone. I just decided to read books about texas hold em no limit tournament strategy. Please advice your best 3.

The best book on the dangers of card games was written by Fyodor Dostoevsky: "Crime and Punishment". And if you're being serious, read Harington. Three volumes on Texas Hold'em will give you a solid understanding of the theory of the game and help you improve your skill.

zwbb

zwbb

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Chuck Clayton "Mastering the Mathematics of Poker" Alex Fitzgerald "The Myth of Poker Talent"

NickeLine22

NickeLine22

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not think that books can somehow help improve the game. If you are a beginner player, then I recommend exploring Harrington.If you are already well versed in the basics of poker, then I advise you to watch a video on youtube with analysis of hands from professionals.P.S. it will also be great to analyze your plays after the session.

Costy69

Costy69

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Books

Books never really helped me. I learned by playing.

imnoobpoker

imnoobpoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you so much for sharing all these books. Put some of them on Goodreads, so I can read them in the future, many many thanks.

Mati532

Mati532

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
thank you for sharing all these books, they are very useful for everyone !!!

Y

Yontox

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've only read 1 particular Dutch book, for the rest I only watch a lot of YouTube channels & browse the forums :)

monkey23

monkey23

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
without a doubt...many years ago...doyle's supersystem books...both 1 and 2

for 5 card draw, Mike Caro's section in SS2 is still the best

Tvorets

Tvorets

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For cash games, books by Nathan Williams are useful. With the help of them, you can quickly and quite easily beat the micro-stakes.

Attachments

• nathanwilliamsbooks.jpg
    nathanwilliamsbooks.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 67
joebenigno

joebenigno

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the Sklansky books were really helpful when I first started out as it helped me be able to compute pot odds versus my fellow 14-16 y/o peers whose grasp of the game consisted of "I has ace 4 offsuit, time to raise"

U

UncleJeff

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker Books

I'm a big reader and believer in books. poker books are a passion of mine. Here are some thoughts for you:

1. There is a lot of duplication among books, and a range of writing skill. Look past that. DO look for the unique things that can be found in each book. Every book has at least one or two ideas or concepts that can improve your game.
  2. Modern books will often tout (hype) the newest thinking. This is generally built on top of the "old" even if the writers don't admit it. It is an evolution. (Over many years I have found that reading things in the order in which they are written is a wise discipline. You get a much better feel for where things are going and why. I did this with Poker books, beginning with Brunson.)
  3. A couple of new books are compendia of articles (e.g. Excelling at No Limit Hold-Em by Little) that give you recent concepts, each written by the individuals who excel in important areas of the game. This is a wonderful way to get a lot of scope in a hurry.
  4. I have read all of David Sklansky and those team efforts by Sklansky/Miller and Sklansky/Malmuth. These books all made me think. And they often delve into statistical detail. This caused me to think deeply, even in the statistical zones that are not my strength. You can better choose strategies when you have this background. I particularly recommend the first Sklansky The Theory of Poker and the follow-on No Limit Hold em - Theory and Practice (with co-author Ed Miller) for the foundation they give.
  5. I completely agree with the many endorsements of Ed Harrington's three volumes. I strongly recommend all three. My reason for liking them is perhaps different that other players ... At the table you have got to do so much "thinking on the fly". Harrington seems to have gotten this down. Wrking through his hand and table analyses builds this skill better than other books in my opinion.
  6. I have found mistakes (not just typo's but thinking errors) in some books. It's a reason to get a second opinion. These mistakes will show up at the table.
  7. Please remember that no one author will will tell you all their best tricks and maneuvers if they are an active player. That's a reason, just by itself, to read a variety books written by different players.
  8. Finally, I have been a management consultant for decades, and also trained 1000's of people from which I learned this advice: Drill to the Level of Insight. If I wrote a book myself that would be the title. That's what winners do. It keeps them moving ahead in their fields of choice.
Good luck with reading. I agree it is not as much fun as playing! But all your playing will be MORE FUN once you have completed some reading.
UncleJeff
PS- I am including a photo from my main bookshelf

Attachments

• UncleJeff's Poker Bookshelf.jpg
    UncleJeff's Poker Bookshelf.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 62
Last edited: