Why wait until clock runs out?

A

Anneh

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi all,
I am new here and this is my first real post so please excuse me if this issue has been posted somewhere else. I could not find it so please point me in the right direction if it is here.
I don't understand why so many players wait for the time to run out to fold. I know in one book I read someone said to wait a second but I have noticed the same people doing it every hand.
Is it just to annoy the other players? Or is it slow computers or maybe just slow minds?:rolleyes:
Curious?
Thanks

S

Stone Cold Tom

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Usually it is because they are multi tabling. You know playing poker on multiple tables. But yes there are some players that do it intentionally to annoy other players. Or sometimes because they are just not sure what to do, call, raise, fold etc.

PapaC

PapaC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi Anneh and welcome to Cardschat.Thinking before you play a hand is good, but some players do it even if they are folding, and it's real annoying. But it's part of the game, so you have to learn to deal with it. Just don't let it throw you off your game. GL to you

Talden

Talden

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If it's a cash game I have No idea. But if it's a tourney and it's getting close to bubble they will do it try to outlast other people. If I do it, it's usually because I'm chasing a grandkid around. Lol . Hope that helps. See ya at the tables. Tal

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If it's a cash game I have No idea. But if it's a tourney and it's getting close to bubble they will do it try to outlast other people. . Tal

You will see this in every FR when it gets reasonably close to the bubble. It can be somewhat annoying to be forced into making this adjustment yourself, even when you aren't necessarily short-stacked.

U

UgisKalnpurs

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Usually this happens right before the bubble on the MTT ,but I by myself don't like to take a long time for thinking my next move, mostly I already know what I want to do ,while other players is making their moves, ofcourse if they don't make any unwanted moves for me. :)

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
It is annoying waiting for 60 seconds or more, but someone might have connection problems or they are too slow generally...

P

PokerGene12

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's one of these things:
- they are multi-tabling
- they are distracted
- they are doing this to annoy you
- they lost connection

Whichever it may be, you can take advantage of this. I love playing against people who aren't paying attention. You can guess what their hand is based on the bet sizes because they typically play odds. Knowing this you can easily pull off a bluff on them with an oversized bet. Turn only, don't bluff the river. If they're paying attention enough to be playing to the river then they probably have something decent. Also don't do it too much because others will catch on.

If they're doing it to annoy you then they probably are bored and will make poor decisions that you can exploit if you're patient.
Have fun

zippaya

zippaya

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, online poker have rasonable time to act, so its not bothering me when someone take minute to think, when tournament start to be in the late phase or cash games ofc. But if someone from the begginning start to take time for every hand, than I pray for table balance :)

Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A lot of people play more than 10 tables and tournaments at the same time and slagalica the effect of time lag.

EXTREMUM

EXTREMUM

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a good strategy tool, for late reg buy-in entrants, waiting for a value-based add-on. Clearly, coming in late with 10-15BB is not a good idea, without burning the clock, when there's a hefty addon around the corner.

Last edited:
starting_at_the_bottom

starting_at_the_bottom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When multitabling players might just time out rather than move their mouse over and click the fold button. They then sit in again when they have capacity to do so.

K

kapobar

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Usually players who do that have litlle chips and they want to be in the money

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
The reason can be one or more of those mentioned above, really doesn't matter all that much why, just don't let this have a negative effect on YOUR decision making.

CRStals

CRStals

Total posts
Awards
Chips
The only two times I'll wait to fold is if I'm multi-tabling, or, I'm playing a Timebomb on Stars, we're at the wire, I've been unlucky and I'm trying to avoid the blinds.

Others that do this are simply trying to rile the table up and get them off their game IMO.

O

omote23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like time-out fold especially on bubble and PSO open skill league xD

I think time-out fold is one of the strategy...

dobatibata

dobatibata

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Everything before auto time bank is reasonable time amount. Especially in early stage of the game. Later on, time bank is really necessary to analyse the whole hand especially on the river move. I don't have problem at all, my opinion is that, if you are in a hurry, you shouldn't have even start to play :*