why trash hands + large stack often win?

S

sergey3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm newb. But according to my observations, this is a fairly common occurrence. And why in offline game I did not see this when I play with friends...???

Are you often knocked out by large stacks of players with trash hands, call your all-in?

Propane Goat

Propane Goat

Grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Having a large stack doesn't make it more likely to win with a trash hand. What is happening is that the large stack can afford to gamble and make a loose call where the small stack can't, so it's less likely for you to see the small stack win with a trash hand.

Thinking players with a short stack are much less likely to call an all-in with nothing because they have no fold equity and are guaranteed to be behind going to the showdown.

Luan

Luan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
not always and like that sometimes it is not your day to win a big stack with good hands, poker and so and lucky game sometimes!

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sometimes it just depends on where you are in the cycle. Super LAGGY players tend to go up rapidly and down just as rapidly. Frankly though, that's never worked for me. If I play loosely I generally only go in one direction - DOWN.

DaveE

DaveE

Solvem probler
Project Moderator
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Trash hands are also rarely less than 35% to win. That translates roughly to winning 1 out of 3 times which is actually fairly often.

S

sergey3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Trash hands are also rarely less than 35% to win. That translates roughly to winning 1 out of 3 times which is actually fairly often.
By the way, yes! I didn't think about that. Indeed, they can often afford more, and a 1:3 probability plus fold equity makes them even richer.

O

OnitheCroc

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
large stack

It does feel that way sometimes but a large stack can often play loose call because they can afford it and fancy a gamble

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm newb. But according to my observations, this is a fairly common occurrence. And why in offline game I did not see this when I play with friends...???

Are you often knocked out by large stacks of players with trash hands, call your all-in?
Good players often have a "big stack",,,and they can win more often with lesser hands than a newb,,, :deal:

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Because in an all-in preflop scenario both players are sure to see all 5 cards and realise their true equity, and unless you have their top card dominated with a pocket pair like you have TT against their T8 or AA against their AK, you are not as big a favourite to win, as you might think.

For instance 6d5s, which you probably consider a "trash hand", will win 38,27% of the time against AhKc or basically 2 out of 5. Even if you have AhAc the same 6d5s will still take the win 19,21% of the time or basically 1 out of 5.

As others have said players with big stacks are not more likely to win an all-in preflop, but they are more likely to make a loose call especially if they are bad players. This is because bad players tend to feel a rush, when they get lucky and build up a big stack, and this makes them want to gamble even more.

1nsomn1a

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Another topic from the category of eternal disputes.

Unfortunately I often notice this, but since no hand in poker has a one-hundred-percent chance of winning and you can never tell exactly when the hand should win and when to lose, it is not possible to prove or disprove it. Everything is possible in poker.:)

NWPatriot

NWPatriot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A random hand vs. a solid 20% range has at least 35% equity, no matter how this top 20% range is built. This is better than winning 1 in 3 times.

A 66% range will have at least 40% equity vs any of these 20% ranges. This will win 1 in 2.5 times.

Given this, we can see that pre-flop, all hands have a shot. If we have a very large stack and can afford this level of risk, then it might appear that we are sucking out a lot. It can be very close to 50% of the time without a lot of effort.

Good luck and God bless

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands