Why do some players study but never improve?

Sschafell

Sschafell

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Why do some players study, study, study and do not evolve in the game? And others, from the beginning always profitable and relatively consistent ...
What's the mystery?

CheezeWiz

CheezeWiz

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'll Take A Quick Stab At This...

Why do some players study, study, study and do not evolve in the game? And others, from the beginning always profitable and relatively consistent ...
What's the mystery?

I would say Two Things:

• Some players are just going to be have natural qualities that make them a better fit for poker than others, whether that is math skills, gambling IQ, risk management awareness, table presence, game attentiveness, memory, or whatever other qualities may be useful.
  • Studying can certainly close that gap. Quality of studying will close it quicker. What I mean by that is not only studying in general, but identifying and focusing on improving upon weaknesses in your game.
Best of Luck To All Of Us in Our Evolution!

CheezeWiz

A

andrezito38

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
as in everything in life some are born for poker, others are not.
but I believe that as much as it is said that it is the study, or other things, I think that your psychological makes all the difference.
for me, TILT is what quickly destroys what takes years to build.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Poker is a lot like real life. There are those that get a degree and never work a day in their field of study. And others without a degree and have a real passion to be the best in their field.

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The effort is also important.

But the ability may also be big.

Propane Goat

Propane Goat

Grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I teach engineering at a university and run into this quite a bit too. Some students approach the material with the goal of gaining a deep understanding of the underlying concepts and principles, while others only care about passing the exams.

The second group will often spend significant amounts of time doing things like memorizing the solutions to homework problems, only to fall flat on their faces when the exam problems don't look like the homework because they do not have a sufficient grasp of the concepts and they're unable to make even a marginally meaningful attempt at finding a solution.

It's not the amount of time spent studying, it's the quality of the study and the approach that is taken.

vnnby

vnnby

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Poker is a long-term investment and the more you invest in yourself and practice, the more chances you have in the long term. Therefore, it is a matter of time, not always everything turns out at once and so easily.