Why do people donk with a min raise?

D

Darth_Moola

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One thing that I cannot seem to wrap my head around is why people are donk betting with a min raise on the flop. I see this everywhere and sometimes I guess they use it as a trap, other times I have no idea what the point was. If you do this, or know why people do this, can you explain this to me. It is a play that seriously confuses me.

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it's a form of pot-control by villain,i always raise.:deal:

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
can donk with check, as well as min raise..

Some like to set a trap, and check, instead of a min raise.

Could also be table image, to project super cautious and tight, checking; won't even put out a min raise.

One thing to consider with min raise or checking, if enemies have anything, many will call or shove, just to see what you are representing.

WiredKs

WiredKs

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'll add blocker bet to the possible reasons for it.

X

xy23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually re raise large if i ever see a donk min bet no matter my holding. It usually gets the job done.

C

chappee

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If you refer to online, i do this to,drop the checkfold palyers and see whose gonna play the hand.

grumblbrumbl

grumblbrumbl

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Usually on the flop, betting 1/3 of the pot. Although, it depends on the stage of the tournament. The depth of the stack. From an opponent. Always pay attention to your villain.

darthjewel

darthjewel

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I often play on a mobile application where the button has a minimal bet value and it is is hard to set the custom bet on a slider , or no time for it, then I often call or 'donk'

I usually re raise large if i ever see a donk min bet no matter my holding. It usually gets the job done.

Usually...

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
They think they are probing out of position.

I think it is weak play.

The only time I am min betting OOP is to induce a raise.

Good luck !
That's exactly what it is, some people have heard of the "term betting for information" and they use it incorrectly, like you say use it to induce a raise so you can get more chips in the pot.

If a player is constantly doing it he/she is most likely a fish, there are some that play the CC games like that and I can't wait to get into a hand with them, sometimes with any two cards when in position, ;) you can guarantee they will call most bets just to see a flop as they think they are invested now........lol....then they will call all the way with bottom pair. :rofl:

:top:

Last edited:
oneybiggs

oneybiggs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
playing live i would usually say always check the flop,giving too much away otherwise...but online,more mathematical,shorter time to act with thoughts compressed into that time.my own excuse,i like a pot to be bigger if im in it than if im not,and a min raise is perfect to keep everyone guessing,could be AA or Ace rag,JJ or 22 or maybe a sneaky look at a 27 suited for a laugh...who would know.
Also going by the answers here,my min raise with AA out of position should get some good action setting up a beautiful check-raise possibility,gl all.

Last edited:
es530

es530

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I also always increase, and knowing this I observe who also increases and sometimes do donkey nuts:D

Spaceman

Spaceman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Donk bet I think is a move that should be used rare. Min betting is an other one move that also should be used rare.

So, what does that say us? That you play at micro stakes and your opponent is probably not a solid one.

So in that case he donk min betting cause he want to get folds or thin the field if there are a lot of people in the pot, he want to build the pot if he connects on later street, or he just use it as a blocker bet and also to get info. Bad move of course, but in micros, many players fold to donk min bets.

iwont20

iwont20

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
You probably mean just a donk bet, not a raise.. In microstakes I think 8-9 times out of 10 min a donk bet on the flop means either a draw or whatever weak value hand they decided to lead with for some reason.
In general I perceive it as a weakness, but there are some players who will min donk with a good hand in order to incentivize a raise, but that happens rather rare imo.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like min raise in the first part of the tournament to be able to play more hand. the majority of the time is for 2 reasons. this allows to benefit from a better depth in the spot and to call if your opponent 3bet. the most important that we can thanks to this technique accumulate information on the strength of your opponents and gauge their mains.when your opponent call a min raise prefop or the flop is that it does not have a good hand the most of the time.

H

hedonist

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, are you sure it's a donk? When I'm feeling bored, I'll often min raise with aces or kings in the small blind. Something about this raise makes aggros go all in.Works a lot, especially late night.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I dont know why they do it, but I just ignore it and pretend they checked(unless I have reads)

K

kristersb123

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sometimes its a blocker or some kind of trap