Why do I call if I think I'm beat?

C

chump39

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi
I've been playing for a while and I'm slightly ahead on the micro stakes.
Do you sometimes call after the river, knowing you should probably fold? I'm even thinking "I know I should fold, and this could teach me a lesson".

The last time it happened I was on the button with an Ace and a crappy kicker.

IntenseHeat

IntenseHeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't know. Maybe you're the cat that curiosity killed. In cash games, if I think I'm beat, I trust my gut. In tournaments on the other hand, I've made plenty of curiosity calls to verify my read on a player. I know that if I'm right, I can own that player for evermore after that.

G

gryphon3005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ha! I've done the same thing and, I'm sorry to say, more than once. I think this situation is the opposite of using intuition where you listen to that little voice and follow your gut to make a brilliant play. Here the little voice is drowned out by the big stupid voice...my ego. I didn't want to let the hand go. Looking back to help me find a way out of this situation next time I believe I was certain I had the best hand pre-flop. When the flop didn't go my way I got a little stubborn and kept playing just to prove to myself how smart I was...surely I would catch on the turn and show everyone what a poker genius I was. And when I got to the river and my hand was still crap well, I wasn't going to waste all those chips I threw in the pot was I? No I call just to show the world you can't bluff me.

Slapping down my ego is hard....I'm still working on it.

lattedank

lattedank

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm the same way. I tell to myself that I'm beat at the time and I still go in, lmao. I don't know why I do this but I lost a lot of games because of it.

najisami

najisami

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
Done it so many times also only to get knocked out or crippeled. But sometimes I've made a cheap call knowing I was beat just to have an idea how a particular player plays his hands or against a maniac who bets every hand and every street, but that fired back many times ! In general, when in doubt, better wait for a better spot.

LJG23

LJG23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hero calls, info calls and tilt calls are all different animals. Know why you're calling before you do. If you believe you call off a little too loose in general try tightening up you preflop and flip play. This will keep you out of tough spots on the turn and river.

In your "last time" hand trying to steal (by raising) from the button with ace rag is profitable but if you are met with resistance you should probably be folding unless you have a very good read on the player.

Hope this helps.

Hi
Do you sometimes call after the river, knowing you should probably fold? I'm even thinking "I know I should fold, and this could teach me a lesson".

H

Hsac

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Making it to the river

If I make it to the river then I'm almost always the one betting, not calling. My philosophy is if I can't raise with a hand then I fold. And I hardly ever stay in with drawing hands. Keeps me out of a lot of trouble, usually.

I also use raises to determine the strength of my opponent's hand, and sometimes I win a pot outright by doing so. If someone re-raises my raise, that's usually a good tell.

The question you should be asking is not why you call to the river with ace-rags, but why are you playing with ace-rags in the first place?

May the Poker Gods favor your journey.

M

molokheia

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
HI There

Maybe you are lost in the game Maybe you should see a doctor
No, just kidding
Maybe you should start thinking twice before you click
Thats the best thing to do
Rgds

M

mollymaggie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi

I've been guilty of doing that too usually with a small flush and the call is small. I just don't want to feel "what if" if I folded. Lucky for me it's not a habit

H

HungryLyan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have had both scenarios happened to me when I had ace 3 and player UTG kept raising min raise and I kept calling right until after river he still min raises me. Now I ended up with nothing and in both situations I think he is bluffing or he is not so I call and win with ace high or I lose to his pair. So I think it is all down to the way my opponent has been playing.

lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Sometimes I pay for information. In cash games, if the pot is light I may call just to learn what types of hands someone is raising/betting with. Aggressive player who is raising/betting every river may be weak. My pair may be stronger than against a TAG player.

david1bear

david1bear

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that happens to all of us. You get a hit on the flop slow play to get some chips and then that river causes them to re raise you :O) You know your beat but something inside you has to confirm it. Just learn from your mistakes, it is ok to take a lost on one hand and stay in the game then to take a hard lost and be out :O) Good luck out there and keep grinding,

KristaK

KristaK

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi
hi hi chump!! :ciao:
yes i do that too often as well
sometimes i just toooo curious see what he have exactly

blond.jpg

N

nellorossi83

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes... i didi it sometimes... i just get curious... and I say... yes... he got me, he had better cards and I wanna see this

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I call the bet because I want to see the cards.

Benkisto_BR

Benkisto_BR

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The story is very funny, I think several players identify themselves. I think this is an addiction that remained from the time when we were beginners.

A

abpoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
We all do it sometimes, but even though you say you think your beat, you obviously also think maybe not. I'm sure your only remembering the bad ones more, and not the good ones as much, where you were right and you weren't beat after all. If it happens, though, at least try to replay in your mind should you really have known, or did they just play it well, and if anything, try to remember how they played for future hands with that player.

1nsomn1a

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The desire to make a call is a common human curiosity and a desire to make sure that you are not being bluffed.

If you are not sorry to pay for it, you can continue, but you will miss a couple of tens of dollars at the distance.

Players make bets for a reason, learn to trust your opponents sometimes:)