Why aren't I learning from my Mistakes!!?

M

muckem97

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Man, it's been a rough few days. Please help.

I feel so stupid on why I keep on doing the same mistakes that's bleeding money from my pockets. I know exactly what they are but I refuse to keep on doing them.

I'm always convincing myself that " no it won't happen this time"

Ex. Not taking people's range seriously when they 4 bet all in. " they won't have AA or KK this time. Bam I call and they show AA KK. And I know this but I refuse to learn from it. I hate my self.

What could I do to better myself at this? Please help.

Maikychan

Maikychan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The main reasons for repeating the same mistakes and mistakes are undisciplined and play by emotions! You should start to review yours sessions and write down every mistake you made in a paper and leaves it on a piece of easy visibility!

Don't try to fix all the mistakes at once, from night to day 'cause that's not how things work!

Start focusing on fixing your preflop mistakes and set a limit for that to be fulfilled.

You need to be disciplined and think rationally, okay? Don't let your ego and your emotions enter with you at the table, good luck.

MrSkinny

MrSkinny

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Heya, I feel for ya muckem. I'm sure most of us can relate to this in some way.

Q: Why aren't I learning from my Mistakes!!?
A: Because your imagination is stronger than your discipline.

You're asking and answering the right questions, just not acting on it. You're letting the dream chasing beat the wisdom and knowledge you have.

How to solve? Pause before acting, ask yourself if you want your poker stats to record what you're about to do! Ask yourself if you want your opponents to benefit from your next action.

Hope I'm in the right ball park, cos well, it's personal innit!

Stop putting yourself down, too. If you can't do that I'd say take a few days off.

Mostly remember to play for fun. Good luck,
Mr Skinny

PS: Poker Rule #0: No player has any more "right" to win than any other! Not you, not me....

Last edited:
Shrops

Shrops

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello

The faster you can learn from your mistakes the faster you will improve your poker game. Good luck !

Peppinotom

Peppinotom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have already learnt from your mistake, no bad in calling that.
But if this guy ONLY plays AA or KK, then you have a problem.
Just ask MTCashman, he will always have Aces, when I hav a suited ace and two of my suits pop up. I WILL KEEP CALLING!!!

whiskers77

whiskers77

The art of purring
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Really, take more time for your decisions and don't be so doubtful, that the opponent can have this hand. Of course they can have. Try to study more your opponents. How often are they betting, how much do they bet. Take your time to ask yourself why is he betting now.
Don't try to uncover a bluff always. If someone is betting a lot, you could expect any hand.
You should have the damn nuts to beat such guys.

You have already learnt from your mistake, no bad in calling that.
But if this guy ONLY plays AA or KK, then you have a problem.
Just ask MTCashman, he will always have Aces, when I hav a suited ace and two of my suits pop up. I WILL KEEP CALLING!!!
OMG, this is so funny. Of course MTCashman has them. And also, if you would have a straight flush, he would have the Royal. It is naturally for him. :D

T

TH13gambler

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
cause sometimes as in life we to make them 1000 times until we learn :) dont beat self up, make a note of them on paper writing often helps, then follow them as you play.

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I appear to be struggling with emotional play problems as well. I have improved much from where I started but it has been trying for sure. Keep your head in the game, never stop trying to improve and always keep an open mind. You will get out of this and over time you will definitely be playing better as you see more hands and as time goes on. Good luck to you :) i hope you get past this soon.

iosif18

iosif18

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
f

Hello there.Everyone is doing mistakes.To improve ourselves we need to learn from our mistakes.A lot of famous players at top class ....they told that everyday we learn something new at poker .So practising every day and gaining more skill may improve your poker game.

P

pokijh

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
maybe you are addicted and get caught up in the action?

S

StatusOmega525

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Heya, I feel for ya muckem. I'm sure most of us can relate to this in some way.

Q: Why aren't I learning from my Mistakes!!?
A: Because your imagination is stronger than your discipline.

You're asking and answering the right questions, just not acting on it. You're letting the dream chasing beat the wisdom and knowledge you have.

How to solve? Pause before acting, ask yourself if you want your poker stats to record what you're about to do! Ask yourself if you want your opponents to benefit from your next action.

Hope I'm in the right ball park, cos well, it's personal innit!

Stop putting yourself down, too. If you can't do that I'd say take a few days off.

Mostly remember to play for fun. Good luck,
Mr Skinny

PS: Poker Rule #0: No player has any more "right" to win than any other! Not you, not me....

Very well said. I myself just returned after a few days off from the tables. Seemed I was taking bad beats hourly, and after one particularly nasty one I realized I was playing tilted, and I was making mistakes out frustration, not lack of knowledge. If you know and recognize your mistakes, and you know the solution to them, then you already have learned from them. Its entirely a matter of putting it to practice, and keeping those solutions in place by force of will. It may very well not be your game that needs work *at the moment, I mean. Everyone's game can always get better*, it may be the discipline itself you need to focus on. Good lucking with breaking this habit.

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Here you have to control yourself. We can not stand by and beat.)) When I was learning to play at the tables with the vertex chips, I also collected combinations at the beginning and entered all flops. But after reading articles on how to play correctly, I forced myself to select a good card for the game and thus quickly collected 20 million virtual money.Try to go for these tables to see the difference of the game. According to my statistics, I saw that I only play every tenth flop.

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
At least you screw up amd lose. This means you can improve. If you play perfectly but still lose due to suckouts then there is nothing you can do. And you have to wait until the online algorithms favor you again.

Joshua_Kane

Joshua_Kane

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Good advice guys! I think working through our mistakes is something a lot of us struggle with, and I was happy to find some strong advice for dealing with it here.

AlexStar1981

AlexStar1981

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You're not alone. Probably 90% of poker fans behave like you. And I have the same mistakes, and other poker players, too. Sooner or later, you'll get over it. )))

A

aj43615

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i make the same mistakes over and over too....one thing i was told by another poker player is you need to have discipline....if you dont have that you will keep losing...my biggest mistakes is i'll know deep down im beat once someone goes all in or bets strong or raises me....i will even say to myself what they have....but i always still call it because i just want to see if they are bluffing or not...sometimes i have caught a few bluffing because of me playing that way....but the amount of times it was a waste of chips/money was alot greater...more like 90% of the time i was beat and i would call what they have and they would show me exactly what i thought they would have....what i need is to discipline myself that i dont 'always have to see' because that is costing me to much

W

wampole

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have been playing 40 years and I still make mistakes. Last night I was in a bad mood and played anyway. Guess what I lost my ass. The one mistake that is the easiest to correct. If I just wanted to play I could have just done a couple of freerolls.

P

Pablo22

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are feeling the way you do, maybe it is time to take a break from the tables. Spend that time reading and studying to get better. Also spend that time thinking about how you will be more disciplined in your decisions. Do that for a week, and when you come back you will yield better results. Good luck

ChickenArise

ChickenArise

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker is a game of mistakes. You just have to try to make the fewest. You will always make some. The object is to minimize them. Dont go against the odds. Learn what hands play well from what position. As was said, write down the mistakes you keep making on a post it note and pin it to your screen.

lsbenn

lsbenn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Keep working and learn to read your opponents. If you watch their play when you are not in the hand and can guess what they are playing and get to see it then you will learn to trust what your eyes and mind are telling you.

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah, that's a tough one. I have the same problem. In my case it's mostly impatience with a big helping of mistrust. I ALWAYS do better when I slow down (chill) and trust my knowledge and skill rather than my gut. It's not enough to just know when to fold - you actually have DO IT!

That said, I think that the best players do trust their gut. Such a dilemma.

C

ccres

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What could I do to better myself at this? Please help.

The fact that you're recognizing your mistakes and not just blaming luck is at least a start. For me I had to shorten sessions and do disciplined 100% hand reviews to stop from chasing.

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When you 5bet a hand like AK QQ , we know we get called mostly by KK AA but it's o'k. We do it because of fold equity and raw equity with the given pot odds. As long as we are pretty balanced with our 3bet bluffs it's all good.Same goes for 4bet calling hands like QQ AK.It's only a mistake if your unbalanced vs regs and they know it.

M

Mikeloti13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You need to shut down your emotions. Not completely because you will need them sometimes for some crucial decisions but mostly you need to get rid of them and play with your head only. Consider every possibility and play with discipline. Good luck.

Andrei Korolev

Andrei Korolev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Collecting information on opponents will help you...