Why 6-max are more popular than full ring ?

Fahrenheit451

Fahrenheit451

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my opinion shorthanded is harder to play because you had to be more active and play frequently with bad hole cards. Nevertheless 6-max is way more popular than full ring.
Why ?

T

ThinkIllcallUwitha5

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it is because you can get more action at a 6 max table while playing properly. I think it was Ed Miller in one of his books said that at 6 max you should play the top 20% of your starting hands, and 15% at full ring. Getting to be in 1/3 more hands is more entertaining for most people, though personally I like full ring because of the chance to hit bigger multi-way all ins against bad players at microlimits I currently play.

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
9 max is the land of the sharks....it is brutal. The multiway pots really means your hand must be strong pre and on flop. I enjoy 6 max as it is manageable.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
In theory, you win a higher percent of hands in 6-max, 1/6 or 16.66 percent than a full ring, 1/10 or 10 percent.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I'd rather win 1/6 hands, about 16.6 percent at a short handed table than win 1/10 hands, 10 percent at a full ring.

venycyos

venycyos

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I liked the explanation, I will give a max 6 shots to see how it is.

kddy

kddy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like more 6-max because there is more action, and at least in my experience more margin for error which you have to know how to take advantage, but you always have to play concentrated

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think 6max is more popular because there is more action, the blinds incentivize the players to play more. In 9max or 10max you can "knit it up" a bit more.

S

Steve Deeble

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Less players better chance a good hand will ride and less waiting time in between hands.

This Fish Chums

This Fish Chums

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
6-max gives an advantage to reading players

Something I haven't seen mentioned is that 6-max is easier to read people because there are less people to watch. So for players who are good at watching and reading people, a six-max table allows them to do that against fewer players. If you're trying to learn how to read people, go to 6-max tables and it will be easier than trying to watch and read 9-10 people at a time.