Who/What do you Study?

M

Mr_Nuisance

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello All! This is the very straightforward question, but I want to know what sites and what materials does everyone study in order to improve their game? What study materials could you use on a budget and what order would you recommend accessing these materials? What methods of note taking on hands do you suggest? I’m currently taking part in the Red Chip Poker course but would love to hear suggestions and tips on where to find the best materials/videos out there!

Nafor

Nafor

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
FI
Chips
Have you checked out Cardschat's own free course taught by professional players? It is a great refreshner even for those who are already beyond the basics. Youtube has also lots of great content. Some paid training sites even offer few free lesson videos on their channel.

arenaci

arenaci

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think first of all it might be a good idea to decide on what you will be playing like 6-max cash, full ring cash, MTT, STT, etc. Otherwise you have the risk of becoming "jack of all trades but master of none".

Personally I chose 6-max cash/zoom as my game. Therefore, I will be studying only 6-max. Right now I am reading Grinder's Manual by Peter Clark and Mental Game of Poker by Jared Tendler as well as posting on this forum. I am planning to revise this books after I finish them.
I think watching videos on its own has very little effect on learning. Moreover it makes me somewhat lazy. Instead I prefer watching some streams on twitch.
As for paid programs I heard upswing lab is a great place but I am not planning on subscribing until I get to 25nl+.

LJG23

LJG23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello All! This is the very straightforward question, but I want to know what sites and what materials does everyone study in order to improve their game? What study materials could you use on a budget and what order would you recommend accessing these materials? What methods of note taking on hands do you suggest? I’m currently taking part in the Red Chip Poker course but would love to hear suggestions and tips on where to find the best materials/videos out there!

The best thing to study is your own play. Being able to look back and see hands and learn from that is a great place to start. Even though they almost all have a free trial, poker database software isn't free long term, but is probably the first investment a poker player should make in themselves.

As far as sites there are a lot out there all with free content. Even paid sites like upswing (Doug Polk and friends) and pokercoaching (Jonathan Little and friends) have email sign ups that send out very thoughtful articles on various poker topics.

A word on paid training sites...There is a lot of really good information they are selling that is just not applicable to the average player (freerollers/microstakes grinders) yes you will learn a lot and it will help you if you move up to low/medium stakes games. However, if you are just starting out make sure you get the most out of every free thing you can find before considering paying a monthly or annual fee for training that you might not be ready for.

M

Mike912

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Helpful accessories

I recently downloaded DriveHud. What ever poker room you’re on it shows all of the other players stats. I would recommend trying it out