Who here thinks its wise to go all in after the flop chasing the flush?

W

witfighter

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Let me know who thinks its a good play to go all in or call all in chasing a flush after the flop. Only needing one more obviously

Last edited by a moderator:
puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Let me know who thinks its a good play to go all in or call all in chasing a flush after the flop. Only needing one more obviously
It depends on what the pot size is and what the flop is. If I have the ace for top flush, the board isn't paired, and there is about 4x my bet already sitting in the middle - it's an all in.

R

RocwX

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's mostly about pot odds if it's a cash game and puzzlefish explained well the process you should follow. If it's a tournament you have to consider a few other factors like ICM and survival techniques. For example, if you have a monster stack, are one of the chip leaders and feel your game is flowing really well and suddenly find yourself chasing a flush against an even bigger stack, it's a good idea to fold even if the odds favor you. A lot of people here would disagree with me saying you should always play as the odds tell you to, but I believe you should know how to sail a big stack to go deep in tournaments. That means applying pressure in position and not wasting chunks of your stack on coin flip situations against big stacks.

manzanillo53

manzanillo53

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I never have any luck when it comes to chasing a flush, so I think it is unwise unless you have other winning possiblities or you know the other players will fold to an all in, Always a gamble. When I hit the flush, 80% of the time, the other player hits aswell with a higher card.

roger perkins

roger perkins

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I never have any luck when it comes to chasing a flush, so I think it is unwise unless you have other winning possiblities or you know the other players will fold to an all in, Always a gamble. When I hit the flush, 80% of the time, the other player hits aswell with a higher card.
Maybe your problem is you are playing any suited cards too much. Play for the nut flush or play high cards that at least have value if you dont hit the flush.

oneybiggs

oneybiggs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's mostly about pot odds if it's a cash game and puzzlefish explained well the process you should follow. If it's a tournament you have to consider a few other factors like ICM and survival techniques. For example, if you have a monster stack, are one of the chip leaders and feel your game is flowing really well and suddenly find yourself chasing a flush against an even bigger stack, it's a good idea to fold even if the odds favor you. A lot of people here would disagree with me saying you should always play as the odds tell you to, but I believe you should know how to sail a big stack to go deep in tournaments. That means applying pressure in position and not wasting chunks of your stack on coin flip situations against big stacks.
Couldnt have put it better!Well said.

oneybiggs

oneybiggs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Quite often if i have other stacks well covered,i love a flush chase from the flop and can pay good dividends,but has also cost me huge tourney finishes that could have been so much more.so to answer your question i wouldnt say wise but i would say its a worthwhile gamble in the right situation but one to stay away from when its going to be too costly...i love chasing a flush draw myself but couldnt call it wise.

PHX

PHX

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
TT
Chips
As with all things it really depends on the situation. Many variables need to be taken into account in order to determine if it is right play or not. These include the size of the pot, you and opponent stack sizes, you and your opponent table image, the actual board and your hand and time of tournament if it is a mtt or sng.

Example 1 cash game you have 80BB pot is 10BB you bet 5BB and a tight player raises you all in you should fold. Not getting right odds and tight players usually have very strong hands when they go all in.

Example 2 cash game you have 25BB pot is 10BB aggro player cbets 5BB like he always does board is Jh 10h 5d you have AQh. Not only do you have nut flush draw but 2 over cards to the board and a gut shot to the nut straight. I would raise all in here, opponent is aggro he may have nothing and fold even if he has top pair and call you a slight favourite to win pot.

Example 3 mtt you have 40BB pot is 10BB you have Qh 10d board Ah 8h 4h. You opponent is relatively solid player 5 players to go until you reach itm there are 10 small stacks of less than 10BB. Opponent bets pot (10Bb) on flop you call turn 5Q and your opponent put you all in. You fold here.
Reasons why to fold here:
-you could be drawing dead if opponent has nut flush already or has AK with Kh
-if opponent has nut flush draw you are drawing to 5 outs so not getting correct odds
-if your flush draw is live you are still not getting correct odds
-there are smaller stacks that would likely bust soon you can simply fold and make itm

You can use the odds calculator here to runs some different examples and see how likely a flush draw or any hand is to win a hand
https://www.cardschat.com/poker-odds-calculator.php

You can also go to this section
https://www.cardschat.com/poker-strategy.php
There is a section called the "The Math of Poker" There are 5 links in that section all 5 contain valuable information about odds, equity and expected value. By learning these you will understand the odds and how to use this as part of the decision making on when to call or fold and most importantly why to do so.

Last edited:
manzanillo53

manzanillo53

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Maybe your problem is you are playing any suited cards too much. Play for the nut flush or play high cards that at least have value if you dont hit the flush.
Yes, That is what stated in the first line. If I have KQ suited someone else will have A3. Everyone has cards they love to play that others would not. Flushes are just not for me unless I have the ace. Things change, maybe that will too.

LibaSzabi

LibaSzabi

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No, the another player has low chance to win the pot with A high flush

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Many times it makes sense to go all in or fold. Nothing wrong chasing for example if you already have a straight and are trying to improve your hand by going for the flush.

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Used to make this play when I first started playing poker and had no idea about the mathematical implications.

Personally, I dislike this play without at least a pair in most circumstances (unless short stacked) and you look pretty foolish shuffling back to the lobby when you don't hit.

T

TpaEnforcement

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I never seem to catch flush draws to begin with. I wouldn't push all in on a draw, but there are a lot of players out there that do that.

ayahuasca

ayahuasca

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not so wise in most cases, I think. It depends, but why not to wait a bit and make the pot bigger and tastier before taking it.

jfmcd86

jfmcd86

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If there was at least a middle pair with a flush draw , or maybe connectors for a straight that would be a runner runner on the turn and flop , I’d consider going all in with a flush draw on the flop ..... other than that maybe just 3-bet not going all in with a flush draw on the flop

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like a lot of the responses to this question.

What I have not seen is how many times would you need to make a better hand fold on the flop (assuming you are on a ace or king-high flush draw - and if your cards are live then you have even more outs) for this to be a profitable move?

Cash game - if I can see through this move then I am calling.

Tournament - if I can see through this move then I am considering the stage of tournament, ICM, etc.

Good luck !

M

Mikedvvis

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It's a gamble for why we play

DTMath

DTMath

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I only get flushes when I am not trying for them.
When I am dealt a pair and get two more on the flop I think I am about 5% chance of getting another from the last two cards.

Full Flush Poker