Where should i start ?

25thinfantryman

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
with 11 cent buy in tournaments the players seem to play just as they do on freeroll tournament ginuine luckk.. im trying to move out of this category to real poker

F

forest_leaves

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Everythings real poker, 11cent tournamets to $100 buy ins, for someone with much bigger bankroll, those tournaments would be like 11cents, you can just play really tight and wait for good cards before you commit chips to the pot, thats what I do anyway

Daniel VanRiper

Daniel VanRiper

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
with 11 cent buy in tournaments the players seem to play just as they do on freeroll tournament ginuine luckk.. im trying to move out of this category to real poker
Pal, study poker for a long time. 10 Years if necessary. Good Luck[emoji89]

5pAce_C0wb0y

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
At every level you will find players willing to burn money because they can afford too. But you'll find more of these at micro stakes what does 11cents buy you in real life? Not a lot so you'll find more players willing to burn it. I've found tournaments over $10 start to have a greater proportion of players who don't want to burn there money with any 2 cards. The flip side is these players tend to start to have a better skill level.

This Fish Chums

This Fish Chums

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Some tips on getting to a point where you are avoiding the all-in / garbage / only luck players:

1. You have to get up to the $5-10 range.
  2. It's not so much about the buy-in though as it is about the prize money. A $10 game for $100 GTD isn't going to generate a lot of people genuinely caring about winning. But get into a $5 game for $1000 GTD and you've garnered a lot more interest. Garnered is going to be my fancy word for the day.
  3. Try to avoid rebuys/re-entrys. People with a big bankroll with play rebuys and re-entrys just because they can do the "all-in and chip up or buy in" approach which is the same as what you are seeing at the lower stakes.
Ultimately though you should play based on your bankroll and use good BM (that's bankroll management, not bowel movement).

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Build your BR and move up those should be easy to beat if players are that bad.

Jilty

Jilty

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd say focus on theory, pre-flop ranges that sort of thing. Try upswing poker they have a good starting area.

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Try different types of poker, choose the one you like the most, be patient and disciplined and start learning.

M

marcumx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yeah i've been watching acr stormer streams and they usually play in the 10+ buy in tourneys and the play is the same as a freeroll i've noticed i'm in same boat as you i'd like to be in a tourney where there's no maniacs unfortunately that's live

TravelerLloyd

TravelerLloyd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Micro Levels

I think they play like that on any of them that are $5 or less. My think is I read an article that said 25-30 buy in's for the level you want to play. So I would start with your bankroll, and play what it allows you to based on the above.

T

tayday79

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
stay where you are and just win win win to build your bankroll then move up

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I am also a beginner. I play poker for only one year. I am convinced that to begin with, the best option is to play freerolls. This way you can accumulate experience and build a bankroll.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Wrong Desire!

Thank you for posting.

You, like me and many others have felt the same about bingo poker. We all thought if only I could just not play vs maniacs I would do better.

What we really mean is, we want to be more in control they way we want to control the game.
This is a false hope as other have stated players are loose and willing to gamble at all the low levels we can afford to play.

We must focus on our skill set. One skill that many new players do not understand is evaluating variance. It is like a tidal wave at times.

We lose over and over and over to any two cards and it begins to effect how we see the game and our play. If we cannot learn to surf variance moving up will just put us in danger of getting squashed by variance at the next higher level.

Professional poker players have 100 buy in down swings. Have you lost in 100 straight micro level games you played? Are you aware of what a good winning percentage is in micro stakes and how many hands you need to play to be able to evaluate it?

Variance helps some of us succeed at any level easily. They will say, play tight and you will win! Play well and the fish give you the money! Wait for big hands and you will win!

So you do, but you do not win because of variance. 1 million hands that is what it takes to rid ourselves of the pressure of variance.

How many hands have you played?

I too was were you are. I hope this helps.

:):):)