Where did I go wrong here?

C

cokecola123

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I have been recently playing some micro stakes cash games (NL2/NL5) and I came across a somewhat strange hand and I could really use some advice.

So Im on the BB with KAs. The utg and the button guy both limp so I decide to raise to 9BBs (What this point I knew that both villains had a really high VPIP and would most likely call) and they call. We all have a close to 100bbs stack.

-The flop is K5Q rainbow and I bet 2/3 of the pot. The utg guy calls and the guy on the button folds.
-The turns is a 4, so pretty much nothing changes here. I bet again 2/3 of the pot. I could have made it bigger but I realized that with this sizing if the guy called, I would be able to get him all in on the river by just betting like 1/6 of the pot. He indeed calls.
-The river is a 6, so again nothing really changed and I just shove and he calls, showing QQ.

I could never guess he had pocket queens, since he just limps utg and doesnt really 3bet me when I raise to 9BBS pre-flop... :confused::confused:

Thanks in advance !

C

ccres

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi. Sounds like it would just a cooler. With the action as you described it there was no way for you to know how strong he was.

J

Jack Reacher

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You shouldnt go all in with just one pair even if it is most better.

BuzzKillington

BuzzKillington

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
They slow-played their set. They probably figured that you would fire multiple barrels and just called you down on every street. I think they played their set well. There's not much you could do. Although, I wouldn't have bloated the pot as much in your case. The pot was ~27BB, I assume. Betting 2/3 of the pot multi-way is pretty dangerous here. You had top pair and top kicker (so you definitely want to bet), but any two pair or better would have you beat. I would be reluctant to get all-in in this scenario (I made the same mistake a number of times). Also, apparently the villain was happy enough with their hand to call you down on every street, which should have been a red flag. No, you shouldn't have folded, but at least you could have kept the pot a lot smaller than it was.

C

cokecola123

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
They slow-played their set. They probably figured that you would fire multiple barrels and just called you down on every street. I think they played their set well. There's not much you could do. Although, I wouldn't have bloated the pot as much in your case. The pot was ~27BB, I assume. Betting 2/3 of the pot multi-way is pretty dangerous here. You had top pair and top kicker (so you definitely want to bet), but any two pair or better would have you beat. I would be reluctant to get all-in in this scenario (I made the same mistake a number of times). Also, apparently the villain was happy enough with their hand to call you down on every street, which should have been a red flag. No, you shouldn't have folded, but at least you could have kept the pot a lot smaller than it was.

I was trying to take advantage of the fact that he was calling way too much, but I guess you are right. Thank you so much!! :D

NCDaddy

NCDaddy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not much different you could've done there. If you check the river (which you wouldn't do) he'd have bet and you'd have called, right? Only other thing you could've done is to check the flop looking to check raise...he'd have let you know he had more than what he let on having at that point I think. You'd have a decision to make there but I don't think you get away from your hand even if you went the check raise route. He just let you bet his set for him...that's all.

BuzzKillington

BuzzKillington

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I was trying to take advantage of the fact that he was calling way too much, but I guess you are right. Thank you so much!! :D
Well, if you have a big set on a dry board, then passively calling raises from an aggressive bettor seems like a decent play. Of course, it depends. Was the villain a calling station (high VPIP and low PFR)? Otherwise it may have just been dumb luck from their part. I would still try to keep the pot from becoming too big, though.

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that many made such mistakes, including myself. In this situation, pre-flop, I would bet 5-7 bb. You correctly put 2/3 of the pot on the flop and turn, thereby protecting your hand. After a turn, on an uncoordinated board - if the opponent calls a raise, then this is a signal that he has a minimum of 2 pairs. But this is only my opinion.
As a rule, it's better to try not to play with the top pair on the whole stack!

Serjo600

Serjo600

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In long tournaments, there are two or more hands in which we are trapped, therefore, in such situations, even if u use bluff to hero caller's stack should not bring us harm, but then the conclusion is, if you knew that the opponent is a moron and is able to call with Seth, u need to understand why he calls all streets

johnny tigre

johnny tigre

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would have made the same mistake if i was in your place.
You could not have guessed he's holding pocket queens unless hes holding his cards the other way.... hehe.
You might have thought he's also holding a king and with your ace as kicker you have the nuts.
He just played his set very well, we just have to learn from it.

Q

Quads2017

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The way the villain plays is not profitable on the long run; he now has won 100 BB by calling a pre-flop bet of 9BB and you going all in. So he must be at least 1 out of 11 times lucky, but his odds to hit his set are only 8%.

D

Dan Lucas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have to agree with the comments about keeping the pot smaller with one pair. I also believe that you ran into a cooler. the most difficult part of the game is folding a big hand, but you also have to consider board texture. I wish I had a nickel for every time my opponent chased with 7 8 or 2 3 to hit runner runner. Just rack it up to a learning experience and try to bust him next time he doesn't hit.

pescaofish

pescaofish

Academic Poker
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PA
Chips
I will have played the same way. he had the best hand, so It Happens. At least it was not a bad beat! :top:

B

bluff always

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Always know they have a better hand

I understand. betting pre flop may only allow players who trust their cards to call your bet. Lets just say anytime you betting pre flop, try to vision your opponent with bullets. If you feel you cant beat a pair of aces, then there is no reason to apply more chips then you have too. Im pretty sure once the flop hit and after another round of betting I would have done the same as you in that hand. Going forward I am now understanding to marathon the hands out and stop sprinting.

A

agriggy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
no one would have guessed QQ, you did nothing wrong. Maybe after the first call you could have raised only half the pot that would have saved you money.

wrabinho

wrabinho

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
nothing wrong.. just bad luck :/

edc1

edc1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
villain played his hand perfectly,i even like his limping quenns preflop-you can lose a lot limping quenns ,but when the flop has a q life is good-your hand was played good as well,the way villain played his hand you wouldn't put him on q-q, you bet your a-k the way most would,il bet you thought you was way ahead until villain called your all-in,thgat why I said he played it perfectly- his story he was telling with his actions made it hard to put him on a lot of hands

W

wacosteel

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Looks to me like you did everything right, and this was a cooler.