Where to begin learning MTTs?

O

OutsideHuman

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been around online poker for about a month now and been really enjoying myself mostly playing micro MTTs and learning more about the game through free videos, articles, streams etc and I feel like I have a few of the complete basics down. However I think I'm at a point where bouncing from source to source isn't a particularly effective way to learn, and I often end up finding conflicting advice with no real idea how to determine what is correct.

I think I could definitely benefit from a more structured approach and I know there are tons of training sites and courses out there, however, I don't really have any idea which one might be a good one for someone like me to go with? Especially as I'm on a bit of a budget as I don't really want to drop $1k on a course right away, so I'm wondering if there are any options out there for a few hundred $ that are up to date for 2018 and could teach a decent amount about MTTs?

Also one additional question, curious as to what software would people recommend getting for a beginner to get started analyzing their hands? There is a ton of them out there such as icmizer, flopzilla, holdemresources callculator, pokerranger etc, etc and I'm not quite sure what to go with.

Thank you very much for reading and any advice you might have is very appreciated.

Last edited:
O

OutsideHuman

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Been thinking about signing up for Upswing Poker monthly membership and getting their Tournament Master Class. Their marketing ploy lowering their price to $499 for a week seems to be working on me and it does look like it might be one of the better courses out there. Anyone with some experience with Upswing and Tournament Master Class, do you think it's worth the money :p?

JJP

JJP

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you are mostly playing micros, I think the best thing to do to learn is to get a HUD and study your own hands. Make sure you understand short stack play and all the unexploitable shoves that you can take.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...2U3Oscg4-B2_0xog/edit?hl=en_US&hl=en_US#gid=3

Once you have mastered the short stack side (where you will find yourself in mtts quite often). You can look to expand to the more complicated concepts.

Sorry if you are already past this point and need further progression, sadly this might require spending a good chunk.

O

OutsideHuman

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you so much for the response. I do already know the very basics of short stack play, obvious unexploitable shove spots etc, this kind of basic preflop play was one of the first things I tried learning, though of course, I'm sure it could use plenty of refinement. I also already got myself PT4, have set up a HUD and been marking any hands where I'm unsure to analyze later. However, the problem is, I don't really know how to analyze my hands.

For example, I recently had 44 UTG 9 max 12.5% antes 14bb deep no ICM considerations. I chose to fold the hand but I wasn't sure so I marked it for a review later. The chart you provided is one of the ones I've been using and it suggests I should have shoved it, however, a different chart at https://floattheturn.com/wp/pushfold/ suggests I should fold the hand. I have no clue which is correct and no idea how to figure it out for myself. Had plenty of similar close spots for which I feel like I don't have enough knowledge to figure it out for myself and find conflicting advice for online. Of course, post flop gets even more complicated and to start analyzing hands properly I would probably need to familiarize myself with some of the software I mentioned previously, not quite sure which to start with though.

Anyway, that's kind of why I think it might be better for me to go with just one proven source, the more I've been looking into it Upswing and their Tournament Master Class seem like they might be a good option.

Last edited:
FroZeeN89

FroZeeN89

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on the value that you are available to spend on travel in brazil has many courses into account, but in Portugesa language. advise you to invest in a particular coach, he will do an analysis of your game and will show you the best line and path to follow.

Regarding analysis program, I suggest you use Holdem Manager, is very complete. glglglgl