When CAN we call an open from UTG with TT or JJ?

D

Dark Army

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was looking at what kind of equity you need pre-flop to call an open from UTG with TT and JJ.
So far, it's not looking good. (Please point out any errors if I've made any. Equity and ranging is fairly new to me.)

If UTG is tight, his range is usually AA, KK, QQ, AK and infrequently AQ, JJ and KQ. Rarely more than that coming from a nit.
With TT and JJ, your equity against the big pocket pairs is around 18% - 19%. But when do you actually get pot odds that allow for 18% or 19% and what are the dynamics of that situation?
Let's say Hero is UTG1.
SB - 10
BB - 20
UTG - 40 (2x)
Hero - ?

You'll need at least 36.36% equity. It's a fold here unless you want to count the implied odds behind you.
With one call behind you, you'll need 26.67%.
With two calls behind you, you'll need 21.05%.
With three calls behind you, you'll need 17.39%. Bingo.

So if you get the implied odds (and with a 2x raise you will sometimes), you're good to go. But how often are you facing a weak 2x?
What if he raises a standard 3x or more? You might not get the implied odds you need. Without the implied odds, your equity only covers the AK and lower hands. Not the pairs above TT and JJ which you are likely to face against a nit.
Also, what happens when you're in a mid-late spot and you get three calls in front of you instead of behind?

SB - 10
BB - 20
UTG - 40 (2x)
UTG1 - Calls 40
Mid - Calls 40
Low J - Calls 40
Hero - ?

Again you'll need at least 17.39%, which you do have. But remember, this is to just barely break even. There's no guarantee of reasonable profit unless the late position players or blinds also call. And what if they do? Your're jammed in the middle of a huge, complicated multi-way pot with a mid-high pair. Sound like fun?

If UTG is loose instead of a nit, they'll be more cards in his range that your equity covers. Still, with all the implied odds needed to cover the big pairs, the calling hands are going to contain aces, kings, queens and perhaps a blocker T or J. You'll need a dry board that misses everyone and hope for a set.

So the best time to doing anything pre-flop with TT or JJ is in late position when you can raise the limpers or open. A big raise will thin the field and give you the best shot.

The temptation to call a raise with any low to mid pair is high, especially for new players. When we analyze situations like this, it's pretty clear how most often the best policy is to simply fold.

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
Is this a tournament?
What are the stack sizes?
With big stacks I'm set mine calling a 2x raise.
With a stack less than 10 BBs, I'm all-in with TT

Whatever you do depends on stack sizes, position, player tendencies etc.
You cannot always assume a tight player, is going to play tight early on, with big stacks. A good tight player knows to play small pairs and connectors for pot odds, just the same as you do.

pescaofish

pescaofish

Academic Poker
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PA
Chips
Are you asking or telling us what is your opinion?
from your Post, seems to me you are not asking ! :cool:

N

noobydooby

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why are you arguing for a call with JJ and TT?

Give the UTG the extremely tight range you assigned him [QQ+, AKs, AKo]. Excluding even the [AQs, KQs, AQo]. Your jacks or tens will actually have close to 36% in that first scenario. If you were to adopt the wider range, you're looking at around 43% equity.

This is because you're not always going to be up against the strong broadway pairs. The combinations of non-pair hands are close to equal in the first example, and greater in the second.

Since you need approximately 42% equity facing even a 4bb raise, Jacks or Tens is going to be a profitable long-term call facing even a super tight UTG player. Given you could even get the non-paired hands to call a 3bet, I don't see any reason to ever fold a hand as strong.

D

Dark Army

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why are you arguing for a call with JJ and TT?

Because when you have TT or JJ, the equity against QQ, KK and AA is 18% - 19%. You're not going to get pot odds that allow you to at least break even unless 3 other players besides you call. The only hand in the range that you beat is AK or worse. A nit doesn't often open with hands worse than AK. So the majority of his starting hands from that spot are going to be monster pairs.

And like I said, if he's not a nit, the hands that will call him are going to contain A's, K's and Q's. You'll need a dry board to survive.

Give the UTG the extremely tight range you assigned him [QQ+, AKs, AKo]. Excluding even the [AQs, KQs, AQo]. Your jacks or tens will actually have close to 36% in that first scenario. If you were to adopt the wider range, you're looking at around 43% equity.

How do you arrive at 36%? Is that the average equity of TT vs all the hands in his range?

Since you need approximately 42% equity facing even a 4bb raise, Jacks or Tens is going to be a profitable long-term call facing even a super tight UTG player....

How do you figure that?

If a 4x raise requires 42% equity and isn't it a losing call if you have only 36% (Average) vs the whole range with TT.

C

corieaddison

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its difficult to say because each player is going to play this stop differently. For myself I always try to take the most aggressive angle, So I would probably be calling this or even putting in a raise.

Good Luck!:evil:

kowrip

kowrip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If UTG is tight, his range is usually AA, KK, QQ, AK and infrequently AQ, JJ and KQ. Rarely more than that coming from a nit.
With TT and JJ, your equity against the big pocket pairs is around 18% - 19%. But when do you actually get pot odds that allow for 18% or 19% and what are the dynamics of that situation?
Let's say Hero is UTG1.
SB - 10
BB - 20
UTG - 40 (2x)
Hero - ?

You are assuming a very tight range for UTG. I think most decent players play a little wider than that. Personally, I'm playing something like 88+, AQo, TJs+ when I'm UTG. Your JJ are much better against that sort of range. Also, it's easier to call an open of only 2BB. With reasonable stacks, I'd call 2BB with any pocket pair due to the implied odds from hitting a set.

D

Dark Army

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You are assuming a very tight range for UTG. I think most decent players play a little wider than that. Personally, I'm playing something like 88+, AQo, TJs+ when I'm UTG. Your JJ are much better against that sort of range. Also, it's easier to call an open of only 2BB. With reasonable stacks, I'd call 2BB with any pocket pair due to the implied odds from hitting a set.

I did say that UTG was tight.

I also said that when the range is wider there's more hands that TT equity will cover.

The range you mention is actually very wide. 88 is typically a late position hand. JTs is a mid to late hand and you're usually not opening with it. You're calling. You have to be pretty skilled to open successfully with a range that wide. Your opening from UTG with late spots hands.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I would call with my JJ or TT if no one has raised. Otherwise, I risk losing my whole bankroll on two cards that cant beat a facecard showing up on the table.

D

Dark Army

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would call with my JJ or TT if no one has raised. Otherwise, I risk losing my whole bankroll on two cards that cant beat a facecard showing up on the table.

Call the BB? You mean limp?

ClickPoker

ClickPoker

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Everything will depend on the table you are playing on. When they are playing aggressive it is worth betting

D

Dark Army

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Everything will depend on the table you are playing on. When they are playing aggressive it is worth betting

We're not talking about betting and aggression. We're talking about calling primarily tight players who raise from UTG.

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nits that tight are in the minority

T

teutonic1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
JJ is notoriously difficult to play. When I get dealt JJ, I always ask myself three questions (I only play tournies) at what stage of the tourney am I in, what is my chip stack size, and what kind of opponent(s) am I up against. For example, if I'm short stacked, I'm going all-in with JJ. I'm not playing a tourney for the loose change.

In this instance, against a tight player with a 2x rise, I'm going to 3 bet (if my chip stack is deep enough) and see how the tight player reacts. If my read on her is good and they re-raise big or go all-in, I'll fold. (If my spidey senses were tingling, I might call a re-raise.) If they call, I see the flop and play from there. I have probably isolated them with my re-raise and I have position on them.

(And I have to say, I'm a nit. Even recreational players know to get out of my way when I raise, but there is now way that I only play 1.5 of all possible hands on the UTG position. Hell, even I widen my range UTG occasionally just to mix my opponents up once in while, or create bluff opportunities.)

best of luck

kowrip

kowrip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I did say that UTG was tight.

I also said that when the range is wider there's more hands that TT equity will cover.

The range you mention is actually very wide. 88 is typically a late position hand. JTs is a mid to late hand and you're usually not opening with it. You're calling. You have to be pretty skilled to open successfully with a range that wide. Your opening from UTG with late spots hands.

I disagree that this is a loose range. This range makes me tighter than about 80% of the players I play at live games. An UTG range like JJ+ / AK is not balanced. Sure, hands like 88 or TJs are weaker hands but c-bets get a lot of folds because they can represent premium hands after the flop. Also, a 2BB raise is a great call for any pocket pair to set mine.

D

Dark Army

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I disagree that this is a loose range. This range makes me tighter than about 80% of the players I play at live games. An UTG range like JJ+ / AK is not balanced. Sure, hands like 88 or TJs are weaker hands but c-bets get a lot of folds because they can represent premium hands after the flop. Also, a 2BB raise is a great call for any pocket pair to set mine.

If that's the case then the 80% of players you're up against are incredibly loose fish who bleed more chips than their aware.

You're best off playing very tight against a field like that.

Look at a basic tournament starting guide for conservative play like the one from Dan Harrington.

• Early Position (first 2 players to act): Pairs 10-10 to A-A , A-K off-suit and A-Q suited.
  • Middle Position (places 3-6 to act): Pairs 8-8+, A-J off suit or better + K-Q
  • Late Position (Button and Cut-Off): Pairs 7-7+, Any Ace + Suited Connectors J-10+
As you open up this range, you're no longer playing conservative. You're playing semi-aggressive to aggressive depending.