When is it a good time to bluff?

S

Sooted7s

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I can't really figure out when it is a good time to bluff. Like if I know they are folding to 3 bets or any raises then i will do a small one but other then that I don't really know when to do it. Any tips?

O

Oxinthewater

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm far from a great player, but here are a few circumstances that I'd look to bluff in :

- When I've raised preflop and the cards are good for my suggested range
- When the board looks weak for the opponents range
- When the opponent is likely in a risk averse mode (e.g. bubble)
- When my recent table history suggests I mostly value bet

J

James24543

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can't really figure out when it is a good time to bluff. Like if I know they are folding to 3 bets or any raises then i will do a small one but other then that I don't really know when to do it. Any tips?

Study your opponents, when you recognize weakness that is a good time to bluff.

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips

Hello.
A good time to bluff comes when you have enough experience and skills. So just try to play, improve your skills and gain experience. When this time comes, you will understand.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
  • when i have good equity if i'm called
  • if i think i can get my opponent to fold better
  • if i don't have a showdown hand

S

Sebarios59

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Every hand I play is a good time to bluff, but you have to learn to get those bad thoughts out of your head haha:D

Psyanide14

Psyanide14

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Make sure you know your opponent. If they always call even with low pair then you will never be able to bluff them. Easier to bluff a better player who understands the game.

In the words of Kevin Hart during a cash game: “you can’t bluff the dumbest guy at the table”.

Therminator

Therminator

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Knowing your opponent and then tell a story with your bets and checks throughout the process and hopefully your opponent will be convinced that you have what you're saying you have.

lyudiko

lyudiko

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
It's best to be selective about when you bluff.
Limit your bluffs as much as possible.
Never bluff just because you haven’t bluffed in a while and think you should.

O

Oxinthewater

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's best to be selective about when you bluff.
Limit your bluffs as much as possible.
Never bluff just because you haven’t bluffed in a while and think you should.

Although I agree about not over-bluffing, I don't entirely agree with the last statement. If I'm not playing with people who know my game extremely well, then leveraging my table image (whether that be tight or loose or whatever) is something that I'll do. I wouldn't only bluff because I haven't done one in a while, but in a marginal spot I might be more inclined to do so if I think my opponents are likely to think i'm value betting.

1nsomn1a

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A bluff is a story that needs to be told correctly. Already on the preflop, you need to keep this option in mind:)

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

This video should help you out a fair bit

The key things to consider are
1) What kind of opponent are you up against (calling station or cautious player)
2) What kind of ranges did your opponents have preflop? (super nuts or a wide range)
3) How scary has the board gotten for a top pair type hand?
4) How much pressure can you put on your opponent (do you have 1.5-2x pot behind)
*5) Have you played your hand in a way that's consistent with what you're trying to sell?

In general don't try to bluff people off huge hands like overpairs, sets and better. Your goal with bluffing is generally to move people off one pair type hands that are better than your current holding.

Often the best times to bluff are when you have a weak hand that is unlikely to win at showdown and your opponent is likely to have a weak hand too.

Don't just bluff because you 'can't win at showdown' also ensure that you are bluffing because 'your opponent's range doesn't have many super strong hands'

Hope that these tips and the video above will help you with this topic.
Good luck and Happy stackin on the tables!

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm far from a great player, but here are a few circumstances that I'd look to bluff in :

- When I've raised preflop and the cards are good for my suggested range
- When the board looks weak for the opponents range
- When the opponent is likely in a risk averse mode (e.g. bubble)
- When my recent table history suggests I mostly value bet

Very good post! Nice points Ox!

Note: According to chinese zodiac, I am an OX as well! :five:

DTaboada

DTaboada

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I dont know how to bluff.. always losing stack....

R

Richardszabo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is rarely used, yet it is a very important part of poker. It is very difficult to bluff, even for professional players. I usually bluff if that's the only way I can win a hand, and this only affects a small part of the existing stack!

M

myquickwit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you have no showdown value and you think you can get them to fold 2nd pair or worse. If you haven't put much into the pot then I would just let it go. If you put a lot of money in and missed your draw you might as well take a stab at it if you think they might fold. If they won't fold just cut your losses and don't make things worse. Your opponent matters.

jeanpierre1279

jeanpierre1279

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
it is very difficult to apply this technique

It is a big change when we go from being totally tight to playing more hands, with bluffing being the culmination of marginal hands.

In this way, you would really try to learn to play with valuable hands, know how to use the check raise, the check fold and the semi-bluff, to reach the peak, which would be the complete bluff.

This is because when we have less experience we give the "tell", that is, the hint of what cards we have and no matter how much we try to bluff you will not be able to because it has already been read by the villain even though it is an online game.

Follow the tips previously given by these excellent forum players, but, as I said, learn to play more protected hands, which are partial bluffs before starting this.

O

Oxinthewater

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very good post! Nice points Ox!

Note: According to chinese zodiac, I am an OX as well! :five:

Thanks Evan, I appreciate the feedback and thanks also for the great content that you make available

G

gichka97

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is better to bluff, when you have big and solid stack. When you are the original raiser pre-flop and there were no re-raises until the flop. When you see somebody is making a weak, small and unsure raise and you try to get the pot with a huge re-raise. When you see that the opponent is playing most of the hands limping or just calling in most of the situations.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the best bluff is the one we anticipate and build preflop. for my part I never bluff at the start of the game. it is only when I have a good image at the table as being a serious player or playing tight that I allow myself to bluff. he also has some players who are looser and who throw their hands more frequently than others. I always try to identify them to take advantage of them. on the other hand, I advise you not to bluff a player who has raised preflop and who plays tight.

P

pohewa

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is super helpful, I'm often very insecure about how much I bet.
This video should help you out a fair bit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrBxYW66cYs

The key things to consider are
1) What kind of opponent are you up against (calling station or cautious player)
2) What kind of ranges did your opponents have preflop? (super nuts or a wide range)
3) How scary has the board gotten for a top pair type hand?
4) How much pressure can you put on your opponent (do you have 1.5-2x pot behind)
*5) Have you played your hand in a way that's consistent with what you're trying to sell?

In general don't try to bluff people off huge hands like overpairs, sets and better. Your goal with bluffing is generally to move people off one pair type hands that are better than your current holding.

Often the best times to bluff are when you have a weak hand that is unlikely to win at showdown and your opponent is likely to have a weak hand too.

Don't just bluff because you 'can't win at showdown' also ensure that you are bluffing because 'your opponent's range doesn't have many super strong hands'

Hope that these tips and the video above will help you with this topic.
Good luck and Happy stackin on the tables!

Stabbi

Stabbi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Let me tell you my experience. Usually is 2-3 players in hand, one of them is me. Lets say you are checking last it's best option... then you will see how is game going... if they just check then you raise, slowly one, 2 turns then last turn go all on... for me works 90% what is pretty good. Good luck with it.