when to fold

TheBandit

TheBandit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
when should a power hand be folded on rebuy ins tournaments? is AQ suited good enough? is 88 good enough? I have lost with AK suited KK and AA many times on these all in or nothing type of tournaments and almost want to give up on them so any advice would help. BTW I have a hard time not calling someone with AA... how about you..

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Can I assume that you are referring to the rebuy portion of the tournament when asking this question?

madjek

madjek

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I struggle with this also, I tend to take more chances during rebuy, if I think there is any chance person is bluffing, lime the 88 you say, on a board with just one over, I might still call trying to double when I can just rebuy if wrong and get the chips back. I can never fold AA though lol

P

polarized

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
gotta know when to holdem, and when to foldem.

adriantempo

adriantempo

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
when should a power hand be folded on rebuy ins tournaments? is AQ suited good enough? is 88 good enough? I have lost with AK suited KK and AA many times on these all in or nothing type of tournaments and almost want to give up on them so any advice would help. BTW I have a hard time not calling someone with AA... how about you..
Depends how many players are in the hand.

Use the poker odds calculator.

If there is 1 player and you have AA then call.

Watch their behaviour, then you know what kind of cards they have.

kowrip

kowrip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your question is very vague. Are you referring to pre-flop or post-flop ? What stage of the tournament ? What is the buy-in for this tournament ? Is it live or online ? For example, early in a tournament you should be very willing to risk all of your chips against a single opponent pre-flop if you have AA. Possibly KK, too. Post-flop is a completely different story. You need to consider many more factors such as stack sizes, stage of the tournament, playing styles and such.

P

Pickat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually play a little less aggressive during rebuy period , but you still need to play your quality hands . I wouldn't be calling all ins with AQs but definitely with KK or AA . Variance will get you now and then , but you need to play when your sure you're way ahead . The numbers will prevail in the long run .

This Fish Chums

This Fish Chums

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you need to be asking yourself some other questions here. First of all, how much money are you willing to spend on the tournament? If it's $10 per rebuy are you willing to rebuy 4 or 5 times just because it's available to make it a $50 tournament? If not, then you should treat each hand as though it were a single-buy-in and save the rebuys for near the end of the rebuy period (for instance, if you have 1K and a rebuy gets you 5K then just before the rebuy period is over go into double-up or bust mode so you don't leave the rebuy period with only 1K).

Second, how far do you think you'll make it in the tournament? Are you expecting to Min-cash it? If so, then avoid rebuys at all costs. Look at it this way, if a min-cash gets you 200% of your buy-in, you have to min-cash just to break even after a single rebuy. If you rebuy 3 or 4 times then you've got to make a moderate run into the money just to break even. Only be a rebuyer if you are confident that you can place well into the money to make up for it.

Third, consider the value of the rebuy chips. Let's say a buy-in gets you 5K in chips. At level 1 that could be worth 250 BBs when blinds are 10/20. An hour or two into the tourney that value can drop to 25BBs when the blinds are at 100/200. That means the hands-to-stack ratio decreases dramatically (i.e. the amount of time you can realistically last on the rebuy lowers drastically the long the rebuy period lasts).

Finally, would the rebuy help or hurt you? If you've got a stack of 35K and the rebuy is only 5K you may want to reconsider going all-in. Treat the hand the same way you would treat losing the tournament completely because giving up that many chips is crippling enough that you may want to consider just not rebuying.

For me, rebuying is always a "necessary evil". If I'm in a $2 tourney and the prize pool is $1k GTD then I'll rebuy, but I'll do it grudgingly.

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips

AA is about 5 out of 6 h2h in real life vs. random hand I think. Online it's probably about 7:3.

Luck favors lousy players, especially online (rigged). That's just poker. Hopefully you will play well enough to eek out a profit. You have to beat rake, luck, AND online "random" number generators.

If you are playing large field freerolls, you might as well shove often early on cuz you ain't lasting without getting lucky. If you wait for AA you may end up in a 5 handed pot and your AA probably won't hold up. Shove the TJ suited connector types and hope to get lucky.

That's not how to properly play poker, but large field freerolls isn't where you play proper poker. It's all luck.

Even in the Cardschat freerolls I see a lot of head scratching plays. You would think ppl who go on a poker forum would improve. There are a group of solid players, but I feel like good players are still in the minority. There are times I play perfectly but don't even make cash. Other times I say YOLO and play like a donk, get it in bad, and I make it far.

M

maxi_j

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play the same. May bee if stack big I become slightly more aggressive.

TheBandit

TheBandit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you for all the responses and I have read them all and some were exactly how I was feeling. I will keep my game style the same and not get fed up and shove because of a aggressive player. Hopefully I will see you on the table someday. The Bandit

TheBandit

TheBandit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am sorry I was so vague I meant during the rebuy period. I and I have found out that if I play like it is not a re buy I do much better. I usually only allow 1 rebuy and the add on. I have done the 3rd rebuy but it has never worked out so I have decided against that in the future. take care and good night everyone

T

tomk7788

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

If you're in a multi-way pot the value of your hand decreases. AA holds up pretty well versus 1 or 2 players but not so great versus 5 players.

Folding in Poker