When do you mix strong hands on HU limp?

fhruhrhit

fhruhrhit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Recently, I play SnG HU(1.5$).
In HU, I open 2bb with a strong hand and limp with a weak hand, occasionally mixing a very strong hand into Limp(ex.AQs+ JJ+).

I think, this mixing is very effective to knockout aggressive players.
By mixing, they misunderstand my range, and call my big bets.

But,,, I do not quite understand when this strategy be effective.
As of now, my judgment is all based on an ambiguousu feeling.
When should I mix strong hands on limps?

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Recently, I play SnG HU(1.5$).
In HU, I open 2bb with a strong hand and limp with a weak hand, occasionally mixing a very strong hand into Limp(ex.AQs+ JJ+).

I think, this mixing is very effective to knockout aggressive players.
By mixing, they misunderstand my range, and call my big bets.

But,,, I do not quite understand when this strategy be effective.
As of now, my judgment is all based on an ambiguousu feeling.
When should I mix strong hands on limps?

You shouldn't You shouldn't have the limp in your game at all... period. HU opening with 2bb is fine but instead of limping "weak hands" much more to say about this as far as value for hands changes HU but instead of limping weak hands if you are going to play the hand raise if you feel you want to limp, fold. Mixing a strong hand in as a limp shouldn't be a thing, because you shouldn't limp...

SouthparkSith

SouthparkSith

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You shouldn't You shouldn't have the limp in your game at all... period. HU opening with 2bb is fine but instead of limping "weak hands" much more to say about this as far as value for hands changes HU but instead of limping weak hands if you are going to play the hand raise if you feel you want to limp, fold. Mixing a strong hand in as a limp shouldn't be a thing, because you shouldn't limp...
I'm sorry but I have to disagree with that. There is nothing wrong with a limp in multiple different scenarios.
For example.

If your opponent has already made it clear they are the aggressor or they usually don't continue in the hand. If you know he has nothing and a raise will scare him off make your money let him do his thing.

Deep in tournament play when your not short stacked but not super healthy either? When the blinds are more than the starting stack type deep is what I mean.

There's a number of reasons a limp is ok in my opinion. Keep in mind that that's all it is an opinion! Everyone has their own style of play, the best advice I could give you is to figure out what your style is first then look for ways to refine your game?

Shortly someone else will disagree with this. That's ok too for me at least. All that matters is how it works for you?

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm sorry but I have to disagree with that. There is nothing wrong with a limp in multiple different scenarios.
For example.

If your opponent has already made it clear they are the aggressor or they usually don't continue in the hand. If you know he has nothing and a raise will scare him off make your money let him do his thing.

Deep in tournament play when your not short stacked but not super healthy either? When the blinds are more than the starting stack type deep is what I mean.

There's a number of reasons a limp is ok in my opinion. Keep in mind that that's all it is an opinion! Everyone has their own style of play, the best advice I could give you is to figure out what your style is first then look for ways to refine your game?

Shortly someone else will disagree with this. That's ok too for me at least. All that matters is how it works for you?

Do you even read? This about HU

SouthparkSith

SouthparkSith

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Do you even read? This about HU
I understand that and yes from time to time I've been known to read? So basically your telling someone that is raise or fold? No matter what? I don't know how much experience this person has playing the game? But due to the question it's self I would guess they are fairly new? You're obviously someone who plays a lot but think about when you were starting out? I'm sorry I just don't think you should take anything out of someone's game. If it we're something to never be done why even allow it to begin with? It has practical use or it wouldn't be there? I apologise if my response offended you? It's nothing personal just a different view point?

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I understand that and yes from time to time I've been known to read? So basically your telling someone that is raise or fold? No matter what? I don't know how much experience this person has playing the game? But due to the question it's self I would guess they are fairly new? You're obviously someone who plays a lot but think about when you were starting out? I'm sorry I just don't think you should take anything out of someone's game. If it we're something to never be done why even allow it to begin with? It has practical use or it wouldn't be there? I apologise if my response offended you? It's nothing personal just a different view point?

I hear where you are coming from but the question was about what to do Heads up... whatever place they are in on there Poker journey, they need to learn that limping is not an optimal strategy. Especially early on of
They can take this out of their game will only improve their game long term. Again this is heads up strategy, full ring, there still isn’t that many viable times a limp is profitable long term. Everything is situational and strategy can be discussed on other hands on a case by case basis however Heads up which is what the question is about you don’t need to limp. As I already stated. Your range should change to include some other hands normally not in your opening range to now be hands you open, and hands you generally open some can be mixed in as valid 3 bet hands. But limping should not be a part of Heads up play.

SouthparkSith

SouthparkSith

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Besides all that if you're hoping to get max value are you more likely to raise a raise or raise a limper? If you limp is viewed as weakness your probably going to get a better early raise?

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Besides all that if you're hoping to get max value are you more likely to raise a raise or raise a limper? If you limp is viewed as weakness your probably going to get a better early raise?

This question is about Heads up play.. You will generally not be perceived ANY way based on your open, it narrows the hand range down a little bit... but generally Heads up Pre-flop range is out the window mine as well include ATC (any two cards) HU you are more concerned with narrowing the range down post flop, even then it's going to be a wider range so leaning more towards a tighter range will be profitable. Like in any game how often the opponents C-bet will be huge in heads up if this number is high you can float a lot more. (because they are not hitting most flops and as they saying goes... "it's hard to make a pair") Your notion of if you limp is viewed as weak so you will probably be viewed as "weak" heads up doesn't hold up. you may be able to get one hand in limping AA or KK but it's really not worth it.. The optimal move is to raise, at minimum if you're going to change something change the open amount...

mtl mile end

mtl mile end

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I am assuming that this question is in regard to being on the Button.
I too min raise almost every hand I play HU from the button. I like to make that the "standard raise" and take it to the flop that way. If this standard raise is getting a lot of folds, I may start limping some hands (especially very strong hands). If this standard raise is getting calls and never folds or reraises, I may raise 3X to see what happens. If the villain is a maniac who re-raises every raise but not the limps, I might raise the strong hands and four bet the weakish hands that still have good Post Flop possibilities. It's really hard to sum up.

As in every question about actions/strategy in NLHE, the answer is "It depends".

If you are in a situation where you are considering changing from Preflop min raising to limping, pay attention to what villain does and go from there. At the very least, I would say "mix it up" is a good idea. If you only limp with premium hands, once villain sees a hand or two, you can't keep limping only premium hands. If he sees a bluff or two, then that's got to change.

So yeah, it depends...

Bricxjo

Bricxjo

Just some happy guy
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Changing up your play is a great tool in your arsenal. Always doing "x" is a not a great thing. So limping can work during HU play; but as with everything, don't make it a standard play and mix up when you do it.

fhruhrhit

fhruhrhit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hmm,,understood
I will try without limp

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hmm,,understood
I will try without limp

I want to make sure I'm being understood. I'm not saying blindly raising every hand or folding... If you are not at a level where you can know your "perceived range" and your opponents range, then you will probably be very exploitable. In the long run a limp is going to lose. However if you are not raising correctly then this could be even worse. It's never black and white in poker, there are so many variables that constantly change. Playing HU range is wide so most opponents you face will not try and narrow your range util post flop. So if you have a solid, BALANCED, pre-flop raising range, your post flop play will be easier, and you can hopefully get some 4 bets in as well cause they will get crushed constantly flatting your opens.

D

Das4ever

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I personally rarely limp unless its Sb vs BB but other then that I do not limp

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Some villans attack limps every time and that is a good time to throw in a "value" limp reraise/shove(depending on stack depth).

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands