When to All-In preflop in the later stage of SNG?

T

Tunnelrat

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So let's say you have a really bad run of cards in a SNG turbo 9 player table. You've basically haven't gotten any luck with your hole cards and maybe only played one or two hands in the earlier stages just to having to fold or loose the pot to a stronger hand. You are short stacked, blind keeps going up and you're in the bubble (not in the money yet). Is there a threshold for when to go all in pre flop? A lot of times I find myself in this exact situation, desperately clinging on to the game, hoping for some playable cards for once and usually with one or two people away from being in the money. A lot of times I find myself going all-in preflop with any mid to high pocket pair or almost any combo of the overcards but I still tend to loose most of the time doing this.

If in this situation, do you tighten up your starting hands or just go all-in with the first best hand you get before the blinds eat you up alive?

Andrew Popov

Andrew Popov

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In such a situation, you certainly must play your best hands. But remember that they must be played by attacking from late position in one or two players, not more.
In fact, you should try to steal the blind widely enough. And the sooner your position - the better your hands should be. These are fairly general rules, just follow them.

T

Tunnelrat

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In such a situation, you certainly must play your best hands. But remember that they must be played by attacking from late position in one or two players, not more.
In fact, you should try to steal the blind widely enough. And the sooner your position - the better your hands should be. These are fairly general rules, just follow them.

Ok but I'm still curious if there is a threshold of x nr BB left in your stack. For instance if BB is 400 and you only have let's say 2000 left in chips would you go all in or just raise 3BB and then all in after the flop or rather go all in straight away since your stack will only be 800 after the flop anyways which surely will give someone the correct odds to call most drawing hands? (Pot at this stage would likely be at least 2600 which gives pot odds of 3.5:1 with a 800 bet)

Andrew Popov

Andrew Popov

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With an effective stack of <5 BB, you should just go all-in. Small raises lose their meaning, because if a villain makes a 3-bet, you still need to call. On the contrary, you have to raise all-in to try to pick up the blind without a showdown - this increases your chances of survival, because even AA sometimes loses 72o villain.

W

wacosteel

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Generally when you're down to 10-15 big blinds it's time to go all in rather than just raise.

NHequalsFU

NHequalsFU

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Once you get under 15BBs you should shove/fold.

In early position you will need a tighter range and the closer you get to the blinds the wider the range.

For example you don't want to shove Q9 suited UTG but on the button with under 15BBs I would shove this all day from the button or small blind.

YOU WILL run into better hands occasionally but the majority of the time you will take down the blinds/antes which are huge in late stages.

Also this gives you sort of a maniac image by shoving so you will get called more when you shove the top of your range.

bakreni

bakreni

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well with 15 bb in sng i still tray to steal with reise with 2 bb but when im 11-10 bb then all in -fold is only in play...when im sb vs bb i m all in with any 2 card

T

Tunnelrat

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Speaking of shove/fold. Does anyone have a current shove/fold chart for single table SNG?

JBGoode

JBGoode

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Speaking of shove/fold. Does anyone have a current shove/fold chart for single table SNG?

personally I just use the Johnathan Little one.... If you don't know what it is, I'll post a link below.... Now based off effective stacks at the table I tend to pull away from the bottom of then ranges. Specifically the suited connectors from early position. Lets assume I've been active, and getting cards within my Push/Fold range.... If you still in you have obviously stolen blinds, or have doubled or tripled up.... If I've just been stealing blinds it's only a matter of time when people will start to lose respect for it. The last thing you want is to pick up 3 or 4 folded blind hands. Then get T9s with 8BBs, in UTG+2, and just shove cause the chart told you too.... You can't be a robot, but when you get a hand that's in the middle to upper part of these ranges. You cant be scared to get it in either. Regardless of how you "Feel" about it.... Hope that helps....

https://floattheturn.com/wp/pushfold/

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think this is another villan dependent situation, with some villans you will want to go all in with A2o in the sb vs the BB with 20bbs, but with other villans you may have 8bbs and be able to limp stab, and still other villans will fold to a min raise with 15bbs effective.

omnom8

omnom8

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
type in google push fold 9 max and look in pictures

M

maximmaxim

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
play itm and icm.if there is an opportunity to receive prizes, then it is not profitable for you to risk carefree. if the bank is the smallest, it means that you have to put everything . in mtt, I would even throw the kings in front of the money
!!!

Last edited:
Andrey Krok

Andrey Krok

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It all depends on the situation. Stack size and behavior of the opponents, there can not be a clear instruction when to push 72 and when to fold AQ. You just have to feel it. To survive in tournaments, you need to be ready to die. Otherwise, you'll be shackled by fear and crushed by the rising blinds.