• Thread starter ThinkIllcallUwitha5
  • Start date
T

ThinkIllcallUwitha5

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Post something you have learned in the past week, or else a specific aspect of your game that you intend to focus on improving. Remember to be specific, if you don't know what you did or are trying to do, you can't get better at a strategical game like poker.

I'll start:

Stop bluff shoving out of position (in microstakes MTTs).

Reason: It doesn't work nearly as well out of position as it might in position. Someone might have just gotten the card he needs, you won't know it until you've gone bust.

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm a cash game DEGEN.Bluff shoving is the most stupid thing that can be done in an MTT (no hater) just sayin.

T

ThinkIllcallUwitha5

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm a cash game DEGEN.Bluff shoving is the most stupid thing that can be done in an MTT (no hater) just sayin.

If you think that's the most stupid thing that can be done in an MTT, then you haven't seen me play MTTs, my friend :D

It did "work" sometimes (I don't know enough theory to prove it's +EV or -EV long term), so why I kept doing it previously, but overall I believe you're right.

Minus272c

Minus272c

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This week i learned

To lay down strong hands on missed boards.
Im more realistic about when im beat, and that stop me
from leaking a ton of chips.

My bankroll is healthy after i stopped that leak :D

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you think that's the most stupid thing that can be done in an MTT, then you haven't seen me play MTTs, my friend :D

It did "work" sometimes (I don't know enough theory to prove it's +EV or -EV long term), so why I kept doing it previously, but overall I believe you're right.

omg you'd be so mad at me because bluffing is my favorite art form/thing in the world.

I believe its very hard to calculate the ev+ or - due to the fact that a great player can lose his stack looking stupid but prosper much more significantly with his mediocre holdings at showdowns later down the line.
If you get caught stealing half the time than you're doing it wrong

There was once an old man that played limit only. He would sit down and raise and raise everyhand with everyhand combo till he lost 100 BB.He would almost always make it back up plus more due to how much action he provoked and would loosen players up for the night, making A RIPE table ready for action. that old man taught Phill Hellmuth why he couldn't take down a first place limit holdem tournament.
For every push there is a pull ,always a counteraction and an equality, tight is beat by loose and loose is beat by tight. the more you understand and eat poker for breakfast the more you realize the zen nature of it. How all options are the right options even if it seems wrong in the one hand its proper in the other. Strategy is for people learning poker once you understand ALL strategys the game becomes much more than meets the eye. Now I watch others use these strategys that I used explicitly or switched between(you know switching gears) at one time or another and just be watching and thinking all options are available I just watch and time my steals taking full advantage of the players stuck using 1 or 2 strategys that are literally written down on paper:sleep:

Y

yourexwife

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I learnt to only play in a scheduled manner. Same with studying. I lost a good portion of my bankroll because I would try and play on my cell phone when I was in bed or had other things on my mind. Deleted online game off my phone. It is only on my tablet now. Which I only use when I'm serious about playing. And I turn off my phone during live play. But will check if I have messages when I'm on a break away from the table.

ROman77

ROman77

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I want to stop playing Spin Go :)) As this is my only tangible problem on the poker site ... to improve the game should at least bring the nerves in order in tournaments with a large contribution I have it is extremely rare .I can't think straight, I'm worried .

tweedy_1313

tweedy_1313

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I want to stop playing Spin Go :)) As this is my only tangible problem on the poker site ... to improve the game should at least bring the nerves in order in tournaments with a large contribution I have it is extremely rare .I can't think straight, I'm worried .
Same as man need to stop playing spin and go, id place in a tournament and go off and lose my winnings on that spin and go.

thatguy6793

thatguy6793

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This weak I learned how to play an effective short stack cash game. It makes a lot of decisions clearer and allows you win some big stack offs against the table big stacks

3gdata

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The only thing that I have learnt this week is how to drink more than I usually do. Ofc it was a sick idea lol. I have only won about $10 this week, shame on me.

pandaboy

pandaboy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Stop raise or call good hand at late ... for example you have 15bb ... just push... 5 times lose with better hands

P

paapcity

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This week i learned(still learning) to review my hands in pt4.
Hope to catch my bad moves there and learn from it.
Never did that before.

T

ThinkIllcallUwitha5

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Another one:

Players who make it through to later stages of microstakes MTTs are disproportionately likely to enter a hand with higher hole cards. Sounds obvious but I wasn't thinking it through when putting them on ranges; I was thinking that their ranges were like those of my earlier opponents. I had a 89s, board was 9 10 A, no one bet on flop, I thought my 9 was good. But it was not. I'll be more conservative and respectful to the fact that my later opponents likely have good discipline and card selection.

One V had AT, the other had Ax.

Last edited:
B

bstest

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I learn this every week. Don't play when you're tired. BUT that's also when I'm most bored. Therefore, I play, and don't do well.

T

ThinkIllcallUwitha5

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Cash games:

Do not play bad cards out of position.

Do not bluff out of position.

Definitely don't do either of those in a new game you haven't scoped out yet.

T

ThinkIllcallUwitha5

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you have the good fortune to hit a royal flush against players better than you in a cash game, it's high time to go; there won't be a better one. Table selection is >50% of winning.